Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 10:19:54 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What Glue would you use to glue vinyl into plastic bases

Started by JDUpholstery, January 16, 2013, 04:23:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

HH-66 is wonderful stuff.  Don't know if it will work for your application, but it's an amazing adhesive.  I'd certainly give it a try.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

JDUpholstery

Heres some pics, I ended up just doing a wrap-around of the plastic base instead of trying to glue it into the "socket" like it was from the factory

This is the plastic base, where the cushion and vinyl were glued into it, leaving the plastic showing all the way around the cushion

and this is how I ended up doing it, just wrapping the plastic and cushion both

Darren Henry

Nice job JD. What kind of vinyl did you use and how did you get it to stretch that tightly around those curves? You must have one heck of a heat gun. It looks like you painted it on LOL.

QuoteHH-66 is wonderful stuff

In my former life as a shoe maker we tried every vinyl cement we could find and HH-66 was the only one that would actually work for one style of Redwing boot soles (We were their warranty depot in Winnipeg) and by far the best on the other applications.

If you REALLY want it to stick -- disregard the label instructions. Apply one coat to both surfaces/let dry one hour.Repeat. Re-activate the glue with a heat gun and press your two surfaces together. A wallpaper roller works great for this or you can use the face of a hammer as an iron.

I once made a 5000 lb lift bag out of Vintex (Herculite etc...). Picture a 13 foot sausage as wide as the roll would allow.All seams were 1 1/2" overlap and all sewing was "sealed" with HH. At 90 feet (three atmosphere's of pressure plus enough to keep it inflated) there were no air bubbles even under load.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

JDUpholstery

I used a standard 32oz marine vinyl, and a lot of heating in the right spots....I basically did this job twice since the gluing into the "socket" factory method was not working for me....It did come out pretty tight, was pleased with myself actually lol