Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 03:29:01 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

automatic hog ring dispenser

Started by trimacar, October 30, 2012, 09:42:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

trimacar

A while back I worked in a shop that had an automatic hog ring dispenser, a row of hog rings stuck together (like a row of staples), put on a spring loaded carrier, so all you had to do was reach over and grab one with pliers.

Anyone know where I could acquire such?

Also looking to buy a button machine, if anyone has one for sale.

I just retired, getting back in the antique car upholstery business as a sideline, leather and tops for early (pre WWII) cars.

Thanks!  David Coco Winchester Va.

sofadoc

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

trimacar

Hi thanks....the hog ring dispenser in that auction might be OK, the one I used had a separate dispenser, so all you had to hold was the pliers....although that one might be quicker.

I've actually bid on that button maker, the problem is not being able to tell size and condition of dies, and there don't appear to be any cutters for the material, no big deal.....but as you say if the bidding gets too high it's no ones bargain!

Thanks for reply!!!!

sofadoc

I wouldn't worry too much about the condition of the dies. I've got some that my grandmother used when I was a tot. I'm 54 now, and they still work like new. I really don't think those thing can wear out. It looks like there is at least a complete 22,30 set. Some of the other sizes may be incomplete/mismatched sets.
I did notice on the press, that the rounded cam appears to have some wear. You lose a little leverage when pressing with a worn cam.

That hog ring dispenser that you described.........is it a pneumatic clincher?

trimacar

October 30, 2012, 01:43:51 pm #4 Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 01:47:35 pm by trimacar
No, it was manual, you used spring loaded pliers, and they fit in a slot on the dispenser, you squeezed and voila! you had a hog ring ready to go....a real time saver.....

JuneC

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Rich

I used the hog ring dispensing pliers (P-7) years ago and have two observations about them: One, they will not get into tight places that a standard hog ring pliers will and two, the glued up hog rings aren't as strong as the loose ones. Other than that, they are a time saver when you can use them.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

sofadoc

Quote from: Rich on October 30, 2012, 06:46:50 pm
they will not get into tight places that a standard hog ring pliers will 
Being a couch guy, I don't do that much hog ringing. But that was always my observation as well. You can't attack straight on (like with a regular pair of hog ring pliers). You have to lay those P-7 pliers sideways against the work.

lowbudget

I have a set like the ones pictured with boxes and boxes of rings. I bought at a garage sell. I haven't ever used them but as was said before they look like they would be awkward getting into tight places. At $5.00 for it and 10 boxes of rings I couldn't pass it up.

trimacar

I did end up getting the high bid on the button machine, I think that was a fair deal with the dies included.......thanks!

sofadoc

Quote from: trimacar on October 31, 2012, 03:54:18 am
I did end up getting the high bid on the button machine, I think that was a fair deal with the dies included.......thanks!
I've seen bids get higher than that just for the press alone. I think you did pretty good.
I have an extra #30 cutter that I'll send you if you want to PM your address to me.

JuneC

Is it pictured in this thread? 

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=98270

Looks to me like it might just be that odd looking tool next to the pliers.  This whole dispenser thing has me curious  :-X

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

trimacar

Hi- yes, that's the idea- hog rings come in a row, glued together like staples, and they fit on the long end of this tool.  There's a spring loaded "pusher" that feeds them, and you use the hog ring tool to go in the slot and pick one hog ring at a time.

I just looked at the one where I used to work, it's a Ringmaster TM5, similar to what's shown on your link, except the hog rings are not visible.  I tried to buy it from them, they don't use it, but no luck.

sofadoc

There are several different styles in fence supplies:
http://www.louispage.com/miscellaneous/hog-rings-pliers

Not sure how well they work for upholstery.

trimacar

Thanks for link, those all have the dispenser built-in to the pliers.  What I'm talking about is using regular pliers, but having a separate, free standing, dispenser.

They were made at one time but I can't seem to find one now......