Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:23:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Zig Zag HEAD

Started by Highvelocity, September 05, 2012, 07:31:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Highvelocity

I am looking for a zig zag head I can put on my table... I have a chandler/juki S241. 

Any suggestions on who to try...?   I know you guys are not fans of ebay, so I thought I would start here first. 

Any suggestions or opinions would help. 

Thanks,
                 Ed
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

scarab29

What are you gonna do now ? Sails? Call Greg , se if he has anything used for starts.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Highvelocity

Yeah, I am gonna start working with sail material.  I have an idea, want to break into a different market.  Wish me luck. 
Plus I would like to use it for binding too.  My 3/4 binder is good but the zig zag would make it better.

Peppy

OoooOOoo wait lemmie guess....kites!
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

gene

I've never bought from Bob/Toledo or Greg/Keystone but I have only heard wonderful things about them on this forum. Check out the Suppliers at the top of this page.

Sailrite.com has a lot of videos that may be helpful to you, and also materials for sails. I've never bought from them and I have heard a few negatives about their machines, but I would think they are doing something right. I do think they were misleading on their video about servo versus clutch motors for sewing machines. They sell the clutch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TcztyNlFx0

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Highvelocity

Quote from: Peppy on September 05, 2012, 06:22:55 pm
OoooOOoo wait lemmie guess....kites!

Not kites Pep,  kinda a like a nautical theme duffle bag with a twist.

scarab29

duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

scarab29

Highvelocity

WOW...Scarab,,,thank you man.  That singer looks like a winner for $450... 

This is a 2nd machine so the price is perfect...

Peppy

Quote from: Highvelocity on September 06, 2012, 06:33:54 am
Not kites Pep,  kinda a like a nautical theme duffle bag with a twist.

Right on. I just thought it was funny, I'm thinking of zig zag stitches myself. But I'm thinking cheapo home machine for lightweight ripstop nylon. For this type of thing-

...we'll see if I can't make myself a trolling kite.
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

needles eye

Hi

have a 20u it's a brilliant little machine. To change timing to run DP X 17 walking foot needle and V92 thread:

set machine needle[ by rotating wheel towards you] such that when needle is on left hand side zig the needle bar rod's top is about 7 mm of metal rod showing above the top needle bar mount, and, note the hook on the shuttle (round thing that goes around and it has two hooks adjacent each other on it) is at three o' clock and coming up to meet the needle.

So there's a little 8 or so mm bolt to adjust the needle bar. And, there are three little screws on the hook and shuttle assembly and you'll need to rotate with wheel to access all three.  Its crucial to adjust it with these screws so that the hook catches thread right place as it moves over and around but it's also important that it's adjusted / placed on the shaft and secondly adjusted in out horizontal direction too to catch all thread fully.

Try it out for heavier work, stronger needle means better punching power, 6 layers of 12 oz canvas easy. Great for small sails, catamaran trampolines and shadesail restitches.

Pep over here we fly bigger kites and get lotsa air over the water whilst strapped in with your harness to kite and feet to the  board ..  the guys use Bernina 217n machine with 12 mm cam attached to the back for the triple stitch gig. 

I've an old green Singer 319k (first auto machine made by them) for my triple stitch, earlier thrown out at Fremantle Sailing Club WA ..  and a cheapo Bernadette home machine offa Fleabay $50- for it's triple step too and for fun and games ..

Tight lines fellas, stay high, be cool, stitch straight, don't drop the scissors ..

scarab29

Thought it might be a good one , specially for a no 2 machine. Even if you had to have someone go through it for a couple hundred bucks looks like a winner.  8)

Highvelocity

Scarab,

I took a look at singer for $450...It didn't sew, I think the timing on the hook was off.  So I am going to go in another direction.  Looking at the Sailrite LSZ-1 zig-zag...  It's portable, good features, zig zag, 3 position needle.  I think it will be a great 2nd machine...

Any opinions on the sailrite Lsz-1...?

Ed

brankin

I would buy the pfaff 238 before the sailrite.  I have both and the sailrite stays in the corner collecting dust.

cthomps

I have had the lsz-1 for a few years.  I was lucky to buy it used for 600.  I added the heavy wheel.  The machine owes me nothing and I have paid for it over and over with all the work I have been able to do with it.  The machine support from sailrite is really great.  I have pushed it a bit too hard, but had enough back up parts to be able to repair it.  There is also a video on how to fix common problems.  Very helpful at midnight!  I can not do heavy sail corner patches, but it will do several layers of 5oz Dacron.  I would buy this machine again and would even pay full price. Mostly because of the customer support, and the ability to order parts easily.  ps.  I ordered an extra foot and had a friend cut a channel in it so I could see where the needle punctures.  When I replace leather coat zips, I need to see the holes.  Works great and have never put the other foot back on. Hope this helps.  Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."