Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 09:40:12 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hartco clinching tool

Started by fingers, February 05, 2012, 06:30:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fingers

My saved searches on ebay include the pneumatic clinching tool that one of the members posted a couple months back.  I can't justify the expense for myself but thought if anyone could get more use out of it: Seller says he has a couple on the shelf
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hartco-Wire-Clinch-Tool-Model-65-/280818204672?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416211c000

sofadoc

That's actually a great price for that tool. But having said that, 200 bucks is still hard for any small shop to justify. Maybe if you had a lot of restaurant booths to do. I only gave $75 for mine. If the bidding had got up to $200, I probably would've bailed.
But again, for any shop that would use one fairly often, that's a good deal.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

fingers

No bids. Maybe they'll drop the starting bid.....or maybe I'll ask.

kodydog

Sofa got a great deal on his gun. I'm always leery of buying used tools. They have to be a good price and I need to test it first. I bought my Heartco wire clinch tool from a guy going out of business. Don't remember what I paid 25 years ago but it was cheep and is one of my favorite tools. Never a lick of trouble.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Mike

didnt way in the add so what is  a clinching tool used for?

sofadoc

February 24, 2012, 06:49:55 pm #6 Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:19:41 pm by sofadoc
Quote from: Mike on February 24, 2012, 05:11:59 pm
didnt way in the add so what is  a clinching tool used for?
Obviously, you haven't followed my movie career closely. :D So here it is once more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub69I7GTJjI

BTW It's also used for assembling lobster traps.

kodydog

Just finished a repair on a 20 year old sofa. The tight seat was starting to sag but the cover (leather) was still in good shape. I replaced the foam but what really helped firm it up was adding two wires across the springs where none were before. They loved it. Should be good for another 20.

Ihavenoname

Hog rings and pliers $43.
$18 for pliers and $25 worth of hot rings.
Never a problem
Always work
No complaints. 
Besides how many from scratch seat springs and webbing are you guys putting together?
I do furniture and antiques and it's not to many anymore.

sofadoc

Quote from: OneBoneHead on March 25, 2012, 12:11:51 pm
Hog rings and pliers $43.
$18 for pliers and $25 worth of hot rings.
Never a problem
Always work
No complaints. 
We'll have agree to disagree on this one. I think that hog rings are totally worthless for connecting stake wire to no-sag springs. And BW clips loosen up within a month or two.
I mainly use the Hartco clincher for making repairs from the bottom on warranty jobs for furniture stores, and repairing restaurant booths. I use a 12 gauge stakewire, which is heavier than the original wire. I promise you, when I crimp the 12 ga. wire to the no-sags with the Hartco clincher, it'll survive a nuclear holocaust.

kodydog

Sofas right on this one. My most common use is when retying spring edge seats. I'd be lost without it. Huge time saver. Hog rings might work to fasten the edge roll but I wouldn't use them to fasten wire to spring. To loose, to noisy.

baileyuph

LOL, is the same procedure being referenced?

Bonehead, I understand is suggesting the economy of using hog rings to mount coils on webbing, isn't he?

Sofa is installing stabilizer wires across no sag springs, right?

Then, there is a reference by Cody to using another clip on coil spring edge wires.

If I have it right, all is interesting but on different pages.

Question:

Sofa where is a supplier for the 12 ga. stabilizer wire that you are installing?  What you are doing does make a very firm seat.  It makes me want one of the air clinching tools!  Back to the 12 ga. wire, I think what my supplier sells me is one size smaller and I often wish it was stronger.

The K- clips are what I use on coil edge wire operations, I think?  Does the K-clip have an insulator inside?  My wire clip does not and I need a source for the clip you guys with the clincher, it does have the insulator - right? 

For those with smaller needs, which manual pliers do you suggest are best for installing the insulated clips that the clinch tool installs neumatically?

By the way, the insulated clip, that is installed by the clinch tool is also used in auto no sag springs, so it would be useful there also.

Maybe I have all this clip stuff, hog ring use, and such sorted out?

I could use some of those insulated clips, for furniture and auto work, and perhaps a better plier to crimp them manualy.  Right now I don't have enough to justify the air clincher, but at $75, one can't afford not to jump!

Doyle

sofadoc

I can only answer for myself. I'm referencing the procedure in the youtube video in my earlier post.
The 12 ga. stake wire is paper wrapped. After many many calls to Hickory Springs in NC, I finally got them to sell me a 2000 ft roll for about $100 (including shipping). Thanks to Kody for turning me on to that source.
The clips are NOT insulated (since the wire is paper wrapped). The clip is a Hartco HR-24 seen here: http://www.staplersandstaples.com/shopping/Products/Stanley-Bostitch-Hartco-HR-CLP-24-Clip__HR-CLP-24.aspx

The nose of the clincher will fit between the bends of no-sag springs, making it easy to do repairs from the bottom without removing anyything.

Here is another brand of the Hartco clincher:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vertex-Pro-Clinch-4-5-Pneumatic-Clip-Tool-PC4-1020?item=160689887741&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7273824019775074021

It currently is selling $699.99 OBO.  One of them sold last month for under $200.

If you really need something insulated, there is always the BW clip and matching pliers;
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Upholstery_Accessories/Springs_and_Accessories/BW_Clip/index.html

Ihavenoname

March 26, 2012, 05:32:54 pm #13 Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 07:56:22 pm by OneBoneHead
That's what I meant. Attaching coil springs to webbing.

In the old days, we hand tied each spring individually to the webbing. A friend who has been doing upholstery since Johnson, told me to use hog rings and pliers to save time.

The guy who originally taught me upholstery and to tie each spring to the webbing has been doing upholstery since Kennedy. He still hand ties each and every one.

I'm pretty new to this. I've only been doing upholstery since little Ronnie Reagan. Yes after he became a Demarcate.

Correction. Republican. Sorry, I'm an old Soviet Style Proletarian and get them confused all they time.

baileyuph

Thanks dennis (Sofadoc) the H-24 clip and the 12 guage insulated wire is the combo I am going to get.  I have a pair of pliers that will install the clip but it isn't the gee whiz you have. 
At a good price and since I could also use it for auto zig zag work, I could justify a neumatic clinch tool.  First I will get the clip and then see how my pliers work.  They are very old and should work but it makes sense the save the joints.

Thanks for the clarifications, I have the insulated BK clips for their desired application.  That was a good price your reference has (around $9 lb.).

The volume of new furniture needing spring repairs is growing a bit, so this information is really good to have. 

Thanks again,
Doyle