Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 07:15:55 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hartco clinching tool

Started by fingers, February 05, 2012, 06:30:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Yeah, for attaching coil springs to webbing, I always used hog rings until I recently acquired a Klinch-It gun from a shop that went "belly-up". In Mike's how-to videos, he did it the hog ring way. I know that purists might scoff at that method, but it always worked well for me. I use a Klinch-It gun now only because I have one to use.

I was doing simple upholstery jobs in the family business during the Nixon administration. But Gerald Ford was the first president to collect any income tax as a result of my upholstering skills.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Yep the hog ring method for securing coils to webbing is the cheapest way and lately the volume of dealing with coils has dropped.  I got my klinch tool long ago and I will continue to use it, I don't have a clue what one would cost new today, but there are good used one around if one should want to go in that direction.

The Klinch tool is good for getting into tight places and most of the time it doesn't leave a barb for someone to tear up their hands.

I wonder if coils will come back strong someday?  Probably not in my life time, especially in new furniture because eveyone (almost) wants to buy cheaper.

Doyle

kodydog

March 26, 2012, 06:30:10 pm #17 Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:33:48 pm by kodydog
Quote from: OneBoneHead on March 26, 2012, 05:32:54 pm
That's what I meant. Attaching coil springs to webbing.

In the old days, we hand tied each spring individually to the webbing. A friend who has been doing upholstery since Johnson, told me to use hog rings and pliers to save time.

The guy who originally taught me upholstery and to tie each spring to the webbing has been doing upholstery since Kennedy. He still hand ties each and every one.

I'm pretty new to this. I've only been doing upholstery since little Ronnie Reagan. Yes after he became a Demarcate.

Aah now it all makes sense. Your talking apples and were talking oranges. I'm afraid I attach springs to webbing the "old days way". (a real time killer).

Wasn't Regan a democrat before he was a republican? Or is that your point?  ;)

The first president I voted for was Jimmie Carter. I was young and naive. They really should raise the voting age to 30. The prefrontal cortex responsible for reasoning and judgment continues to develop even into adulthood.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

March 26, 2012, 07:22:36 pm #18 Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:35:43 am by sofadoc
Doyle: If you'll PM your address to me, I'll send you some sample wire and clips along with the info on ordering the wire from Hickory Springs.
It was about a 4 week ordeal getting the wire. They really don't want to sell to individuals. I kept getting passed around from office to office, branch to branch. Finally, a guy named Dennis Setzer took care of me. Why is it that all guys named Dennis are such swell guys? ;D

BTW Reagan switched to the Republican party in '62, saying "I didn't leave the Democratic party, the party left me". But he continued to sympathize with Dems such as JFK.

When you're young, you're idealistic and think you can change the world.....you're a Democrat.
You get a little older....a little smarter....you get a little money in your pocket (and you want to hang on to that money)....you become a Republican.
You get even older....and start worrying about pensions, Social Security, Medicare, etc. ........you go back to being a Democrat. ;)

kodydog

March 29, 2012, 06:35:15 pm #19 Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 06:43:33 pm by kodydog
Quote from: DB on March 26, 2012, 06:05:40 pm

I wonder if coils will come back strong someday?  Probably not in my life time, especially in new furniture because eveyone (almost) wants to buy cheaper.

Doyle

A lot of new furniture have no springs at all. Just some kind of girdle fabric, stretched over the seating area, that breaks down after about one year. How are we supposed to fix that?

fingers

Adjustable air bladders are the future! Stuff a big plastic bag up under the deck where the springs used be and hit it with an air chuck. That's a waiting retrofit market if there ever was one. Hey, if Sofa can have intergalactic clientele, I can use air bladders dammit.....

kodydog

sofadoc

I already got a catchy slogan:

ARE YOU MADDER CAUSE YOUR BLADDER IS FLATTER? DON"T BE SADDER......WE CAN MAKE IT FATTER, THEN YOU'LL BE GLADDER!!

I'm gonna get a seperate listing in the Yellow Pages under "Bladder control".

fingers

This brings us full circle......clinching tool.....then bladder control....and right on back to clinching tool.  :o

scottUp

I just made my first post asking if anyone had used a TH-T-DECO1 pneumatic decorative canister nailer by Uffy and I notice on their website they also make a Hartco tool TH-T-M66.  Does anyone have experience with this tool or pricing?  I cannot find too much information.

http://uffytools.com/TH-T-M66.html

kodydog

I have a Heartco clenching tool. It was old when I bought it 25 years a go and have never had a problem with it. Are you sure the tool in your diagram is a Hertco. The web site says Advanced Affiliates. Maybe there just the supplier?

Regardless, its a handy tool if you can get it at the right price.

scottUp

Quote from: kodydog on April 30, 2012, 05:00:39 pm
I have a Heartco clenching tool. It was old when I bought it 25 years a go and have never had a problem with it. Are you sure the tool in your diagram is a Hertco. The web site says Advanced Affiliates. Maybe there just the supplier?

Regardless, its a handy tool if you can get it at the right price.

The tool I show is from the tool maker "Uffy Tools." The parent company is Advanced Affiliates (hence the logo and link).  The tool does exactly what the old Hartco and new Bostich tool does.  Perhaps your tool and staple distributor may know more.

Hartco technically no longer exists as it was bought by Bostich a few years back.