Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 09:26:12 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Getting organized

Started by sofadoc, January 21, 2012, 08:11:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

January 21, 2012, 08:11:31 am Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:30:59 am by sofadoc
I decided to branch this off from Mojo's "Valium" topic.

We upholsterers are nothing, if not frugal. When I changed buildings in '98, I left over 30 years of scraps behind that my grandparents had amassed.
The building was being dozed anyway, to make way for a new County jail.

Since moving to my new location, I've made every effort NOT to let it get in the same sad shape as the old one.

Here, I "rescued" an old panty hose rack from behind a J.C. Penney store:

I use it to store small parts, like nuts, bolts, clips, etc.

Here is a paint and varnish rack from a nearby paint store;

I keep my bits and sockets separated here.

This is my button station:

I actually PAID for this one. :)

And this used to be a bread and pastry rack at a convenience store:

I keep my air and electric tools on this one.

If you're trying to get organized without spending a lot of cash, keep an eye peeled as you pass behind local retail stores.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

jojo

Grebo

Wayyy too tidy  ;D If my stuff was like that the Old man would be forever 'borrowing' .
I would have nothing left, I already have to hide stuff as it is.   ::)

Suzi

bobbin

I am very impressed by your organization, Sofa.! a man after my own heart.

My workbench is usually pretty neat.  It drives me nuts to have to hunt and hunt for something I need but don't use every day.  I don't have time to waste locating supplies, I need that time to correct all the other little dumb mistakes I make in a day.   ::)

Grebo, all my painting tools are hung up and organized as to whether they're for oil or latex paints.  My varnish brushes are clearly marked "clear only".  I have no problem buying nice brushes that are correct for the application and I take care of them, cleaning them properly and storing them in their jackets (I always took care of my toys!).  I came home one day to find the husband happily slapping bottom paint on the skiff with my very expensive, natural bristle, 4" varnish brush.  I went ballistic and told him he was never, EVER to touch any of my brushes ever again.  Ditto my scissors and my measuring tools.  There have been no transgressions, since. 

gene

Organization is for people who are too lazy to get up and look for stuff.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Quote from: bobbin on January 23, 2012, 12:30:49 pm
Ditto my scissors and my measuring tools.  There have been no transgressions, since. 

You sound like my wife Bobbin. If I so much as borrow a pencil from her desk, and leave it laying somewhere. Oh, oh. Big trouble man. Her response is how would you like it if I borrowed your staple gun and didn't return it. To which I have no reply.  :-X
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on January 23, 2012, 05:50:49 pm
You sound like my wife Bobbin. If I so much as borrow a pencil from her desk, and leave it laying somewhere. Oh, oh. Big trouble man. Her response is how would you like it if I borrowed your staple gun and didn't return it.
So she's comparing a staple gun to a pencil.....typical chick!!

Peppy

Sofa, I am impressed! That is. Beautiful. Love the pantyhose rack. I built a plywood scrap bin similarly tiered but with only three sections.

One question; how do you keep dust from filling up the bins? I have those bins too but they get disgustingly full of dust very quickly. I try to hold out for the tip/pull out trays as opposed to the open ones. I made friends with a retired electronics guy who gave me a few. 
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

sofadoc

Quote from: Peppy on January 23, 2012, 06:48:01 pm
how do you keep dust from filling up the bins?
I don't. (keep the dust out).
I have to blast 'em with the air blower every now and then.

Peppy

Bummer. I was hoping you had some magical remedy. I hate doing that. The dust gets all over and in your face and you breath it for the next three hours until it settles back in the bins.
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Grebo

January 24, 2012, 05:37:02 am #10 Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:39:15 am by Grebo
Quote from: bobbin on January 23, 2012, 12:30:49 pm

Grebo, all my painting tools are hung up and organized as to whether they're for oil or latex paints.  My varnish brushes are clearly marked "clear only".  I have no problem buying nice brushes that are correct for the application and I take care of them, cleaning them properly and storing them in their jackets (I always took care of my toys!).  I came home one day to find the husband happily slapping bottom paint on the skiff with my very expensive, natural bristle, 4" varnish brush.  I went ballistic and told him he was never, EVER to touch any of my brushes ever again.  Ditto my scissors and my measuring tools.  There have been no transgressions, since.  

Guess I need to get violent then  ;D  

I can relate to the brushes, I used to be ships painter. Always looked after them.

Suzi

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on January 23, 2012, 06:02:08 pm

I know. All her stuff is soooo important when I just know mine is more.   :D
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

byhammerandhand

I just wished I had been at the right place at the right time to pick up a bunch of library card catalog drawer units.   Dang.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

Quote from: kodydog on January 24, 2012, 05:52:52 am
Quote from: sofadoc on January 23, 2012, 06:02:08 pm

I know. All her stuff is soooo important when I just know mine is more.   :D

George Carlin " ever notice there stuff is shit and your shit is STUFF! "

bobbin

Leave it to Gene to sum it up so succinctly.  lol

I used to work piece rate and that really taught me the value of being organized, neat, and efficient.  That piece rate job was the first time I was ever paid what I was worth.  I was willing to work hard and I was motivated to keep it up.  My sloppy co-workers always griped and whined about how "you can't make any money on that machine" so (as the newest stitcher) I'd get the "losing" operations.  And once I figured out how to do them quickly and efficiently the more senior stitchers would invariably ask to be assigned them. 

A ball-buster I may be, but interestingly enough I always seem to have "free" time to work in the yard, paint, do other fun stuff!  We all get 24 hrs. in a day, how we use the time we allot to work is up to us.  Only one person on this planet gets to waste my time, and that's me!  (keep your hands off my -hit!).