Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 07:19:06 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Getting organized

Started by sofadoc, January 21, 2012, 08:11:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Speaking of efficiency, I got a letter (junk mail) today about an efficiency workshop coming up soon in my area. Only 200 bucks (yeah, I'm jumpin' all over that).
While some may love seminars and workshops, personally I'd rather blow my brains out than attend one.

But the literature had some "fun facts".
They say that the average person works on a project for 11 minutes before being distracted. And once distracted, it takes them 25 minutes before they get back to the project, if they even get back to it at all.

Also, the average worker is interrupted 7 times an hour.

I don't know if those numbers are accurate, but they certainly sound plausible. I was so distracted by reading that, I didn't get anything done the rest of the day. ;D

Frankly, working by myself.....staring at the same 4 walls all day long.....I welcome distractions. At this point in my career, I'm no longer interested in maximizing my productivity.

I think I'm going to put on a "Time-wasting workshop". If you WANT to waste your time, just come to my workshop. I promise you won't be disappointed. :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

One of the things I learned working piece rate was that you can't work "full force" all the time.  It's just not possible.  There is a reason "breaks" occur 2-2 1/2 hrs after beginning!  And then lunch, and then another afternoon break.  In my opinion, the crucial issue is to zero in on your most productive time of the day and assign those hours to the hardest part of your work.  I grant you, my preferred schedule is unorthodox, but it's what works for me and keeps me happiest.  Delivering good work in a timely manner is the name of the game and long-time customers understand that and pass the word. 

This is why I like to start work early (6 AM).  I get 2-2 1/2 hrs. that is uninterrupted and that's usually the time I plan layouts, or any other "think work" (estimates, scheduling).  After that, I move into the "from the neck down" sort of work, the stuff that doesn't usually carry a high risk of expensive mistakes.  I encourage customers to use e-mail and tell them plainly that I frequently don't pick up the 'phone when I'm working, waiting instead for a break to deal with the phone.  Interestingly, I've found most people are very receptive to that, perhaps because I always return calls? dunno, but I'm able to return calls at a time that is convenient for the customer to receive them. 

This ain't a 9 to 5 shop, by a long shot, lol.  But it can crank out the work. 

gene

January 24, 2012, 03:39:39 pm #17 Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:45:14 pm by gene
sofadoc, you said: "I'm no longer interested in maximizing my productivity." It sounds like you joined a union.

I recently listened to a book on tape about running a business and the number one skill needed, according to this author, was concentration. This was in regards to dealing with distractions.

Stephen Covey said:

"Effective" is when you do all the things necessary to complete a task. Let's say there are 11 steps to complete a task. Over the course of 3 hours you do 35 things. Among these 35 things are the 11 steps needed to complete the task. You are "Effective".

"Efficient" is when you only do those 11 steps necessary to complete the task.

I don't smoke, drink, or chew, or go with women who do. However, I do enjoy a fine cigar once in a great while. (No, I'm not referring to Bill Clinton here.)

A guy who has a small business down the sidewalk from me grows his own tobacco and hand rolls cigars. I enjoyed one of his very fine cigars during the work day today. It was neither efficient nor effective, had nothing to do with work, but it was enjoyable.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Quote from: bobbin on January 24, 2012, 02:22:10 pm

I used to work piece rate and that really taught me the value of being organized, neat, and efficient.  That piece rate job was the first time I was ever paid what I was worth.  I was willing to work hard and I was motivated to keep it up. 

My first real job was working for a grocery store stocking shelves. I always thought that was hard work until I went to work in a furniture factory. I never worked piece rate like you Bobbin but the pay per hour companies would always threaten us with it if we didn't keep production up. We would keep a daily piece log and this would determine if you deserved a raise. Like you said, we were always looking for ways to stream line productivity. Even if it only saved seconds per piece, in the grand scheme of things it meant more furniture out the door per week.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html