Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 03:17:34 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Is Leather Really Better Than Vinyl?

Started by TheHogRing, December 05, 2011, 06:29:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogRing

December 05, 2011, 06:29:59 pm Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:31:18 pm by TheHogRing
In the past, when manufacturing restrictions affected the quality of vinyl, it developed a bad rap - especially when compared to genuine leather. Dubbed plastic leather or "pleather", the general public disgraced the product and wrote it off as a cheap imitation of the real thing.

Today, technological advancements have improved the quality of leather-simulated vinyl to the point where it's arguably better than the real thing. The stigma, however, remains.

Read the 4 reasons why we think the stigma is unfair and tell us what you think: http://tinyurl.com/c9s98ew

MinUph

As posted on your site....
I Must share a job actually two I've done last week and today. These were dinning room chairs, and a recliner. Both from reconstituted leather. I have to say this material surpasses leather in its hand. Very nice to work with. Not exactly vinyl but man made imitation leather none the less.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

December 05, 2011, 07:34:04 pm #2 Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 07:35:19 pm by kodydog
je ne sais quoi (uncountable)

An intangible quality that makes something distinctive or attractive.

If your talking about that cheep leather used on $800 sofas then defiantly yes, better to go with vinyl.

For the people who want leather its all about status. Driving a $60,000 Porsche with vinyl seats? I don't think so. These people aren't concerned about price. In fact they would rather pay more, it gives them the feeling of success.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

ahkahn

I'm going to say no.  Everyone thinks that leather is better than vinyl, but it never holds up as well. 

The reconstituted (or recast) leather, which I call "leather hamburger", is typically only about 3-15% leather.  The rest of it... vinyl.

-Andrew

coachtrim

vinyl was invented as a less expensive imitation of leather. Vinyl and other plastic coated fabrics will always be a cheap imitation of the real thing. No imitation will age or patina as fine leather will. Leather has stood the test of time. There are very few occupations older than leather worker. Hundreds, maybe thousands of books have been written on leather, leather working, or leather working tools. Would you admit to being a "vinyl worker"? Leather has character, vinyl is utilitarian. It's like comparing real fruit to wax fruit.
Johann
www.coachtrim.net

TheHogRing

December 06, 2011, 11:14:06 am #5 Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:15:25 am by TheHogRing
Kodydog: We couldn't agree with you more. For many people, it is more about status than pragmatism. For a lot of lay people, leather upholstery is a sign of class and wealth.

MinUph: We'll definitely be looking more into reconstituted leather. Perhaps we'll even write up a post about it for The Hog Ring. Thanks for the tip!

ahkahn: lol... leather hamburger? Love it!

coachtrim: You raise a good point. Leather, and especially leather work, has a long and rich history that deserves respect. And we do respect it. In fact, some of the most beautiful interiors we've ever laid eyes on were done entirely in leather. But like you said, we're speaking from more of a utilitarian perspective. For most people, the every-day drivers, it's more practical to have vinyl seat covers. The leather I'd save for my Sunday cruiser... something that deserves the care and attention that leather requires.

sofadoc

When I explain to customers, I use the diamond analogy.
There are many synthetic gems on the market that are better, prettier, and cheaper than diamonds. But for many, nothing less than a diamond will do.

I sell a lot of recycled leather. I refer to it as "The bologna of leather".
I tell my customers that genuine leather is nice, but you really don't get as much "bang for your buck" as with vinyls, and recycled leather.

So all things considered, I would have to say no as well.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

We do work for a refinisher in Gainesville. He usually picks leather. When I tell him we'll work around the flaws he says, NO, leave them in. He says that's what leather is all about. Can't get that with vinyl.

ajlelectronics

One other significant point for those of us with a concience...

1) I would rather not share my vehicle with a corpse

2) An animal WAS KILLED AT HUMAN HANDS to provide that material. Give me vinyl or fabric every time.

kodydog

Quote from: ajlelectronics on December 07, 2011, 06:52:57 am
One other significant point for those of us with a concience...

1) I would rather not share my vehicle with a corpse

2) An animal WAS KILLED AT HUMAN HANDS to provide that material. Give me vinyl or fabric every time.

You make a good point. I love animals as much as anyone but on the other hand vinyl is a petroleum based product that off gases toxic chemicals and fabric is produced in a corporate manufacturing environment somewhere  in China using slave labor. Leather hides are usually a bi-product of the beef industry that would be thrown out if not used for this purpose.

ajlelectronics

Fair point, but I object to the killing of animals for any reason. In the 21st Century, there are many alternatives to the "caveman" approach.

gene

Cavemen, and cave women, also drank water and breathed air.

I know a couple of vegans who say that they believe humans are destroying the earth and the only way to save the earth is for humans to stop existing. So far, none of them are willing to go first.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

gene

December 09, 2011, 06:32:53 am #12 Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 06:35:06 am by gene
I've been watching British comedy shows for awhile now. I seem to have taken a liking to their dry sense of humor. Or maybe I've always liked a dry sense of humor and I've finally discovered an entire race of people who are like minded.

Here's a clip that I had thought of when this topic first turned to vegetarianism, but couldn't find it until now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63NNuG-6-hQ

Oh, and if anyone thinks I'm being smug and arrogant just because I'm a meat eater, I think I would be just as smug and arrogant if I were a vegetarian.

Peace, or "peas" as some might prefer.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SHHR

Can we have the site administrators install a "like" button similar to facebooks?
Here Puss,puss,puss,puss! ;D
Kyle

Mike8560

One thing I do know  Corbin who make bike seats the seat is leather but the sidss of the seat that get squished are vinyl.