Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 01:25:38 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Is Leather Really Better Than Vinyl?

Started by TheHogRing, December 05, 2011, 06:29:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Miami Mike

Why so many people ask for leather for their cars is a mystery for me. The cloth the Mfg. uses now is so much better and will outlast leather. I sell so many products that will outlast leather and is softer and much easier to clean and keep up. Now I am talking Polyurethane Brand names are Ultraleather, Rave, Studio Collection and several more. If I was going to have something covered I would first want to be told about these kinds of products. If I came into your business and asked for Leather, would you sell me that or tell me I have options for you. I know it is easy to sell someone what they want but will you sell them a better product for the job? I sell leather and lots of things, but if I have someone call me and ask for xyz and was going to put it here, I would rather tell them that I have a better product for that job. And then let them make up their mind. This is what I do; do you do the same or just sell them what they ask for? Again I'm just asking.  ;D You can ask Mojo.
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

kodydog

When a customer asks for an estimate to do a chair in leather first I give them the labor then the price of the leather. After they recover I offer all the other choices. I usually start out by saying I can show you some vinyls that you can not tell is not leather.

Last week a fellow called with two recliners he wants done in leather. He was very surprised my price is higher than a new recliner. Next week I'll try to sell him on my best vinyl. But I have a feeling, being a guy, he's going to want leather.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

December 11, 2011, 06:02:19 am #17 Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:10:03 am by gene
I happened upon a web site once where people were getting into leather in a sexual way. Quite bizarre! I don't think there are any such web sites for Ultraleather or Rave.

Many people like the smell of leather. Of course there is the smell of leather in a spray can.

And you do have excellent points, Mike, about synthetic leathers?

I find that folks who want leather furniture, want leather, and not faux stuff. However, if you came into my business Mike and asked about leather, I would talk about leather, and not faux leathers. So how much of this is the customer and how much of this is me not talking about the benefits of alternatives to leathers? I will endeavor to find out! Another good point, Mike.

Thanks,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

ibstitchen

I have several samples of vinyls that look like leather.  Right now I'm looking for a chair that I can reupholster in one of these vinyls.  I'm getting a lot of Calls for leather as well.  I thought what better way to help educate someone about these new products than to have them see, touch, and actually sit on something that,s covered in it.  Anyone have photo,s they could post of one of their projects?  I sure would like to see it!

sofadoc

Since many new furniture stores use the word "Leather" so deceptively, many people have no idea as to the cost. The stores never call it "Leather", but they certainly don't correct YOU if you call it that.
Last week, I quoted a lady a price for covering a recliner in cloth fabric. She gasped, and then asked "Would leather be cheaper? 'Cause I know where I can buy a new leather recliner for $499"
I probably quote a leather job at least once a week. I end up doing a job in leather maybe twice a year. 
They usually opt for Allante, Carerra, or a recycled leather.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Saddleman

Quote from: Mike8560 on December 09, 2011, 03:13:13 pm
One thing I do know  Corbin who make bike seats the seat is leather but the sidss of the seat that get squished are vinyl.

Mike,  I believe they do that for cost reasons.  There is way more leather used in the side banding of a seat than the seating surface from my experience. 

When was the last time anyone went looking for a nice pair of vinyl shoes.....LOL

Mother Nature grows something that man just cannot reproduce.  Like Johann said, "Leather has character".

stitcher

I do feel that nothing is as nice as real leather. 

But with that said, I use them all, Ultra Leather and the likes, etc.

I feel that it depends on the application, cost, longevity, etc.

Usually leather wears poorly because the user does'nt take care of it or "over" takes care of it.  It is a natural product just like us and matures and ages to perfection over time  lol

Stitcher  8)

ajlelectronics

Quote from: Saddleman on December 13, 2011, 01:16:05 pm

When was the last time anyone went looking for a nice pair of vinyl shoes.....LOL

Around a fortnight ago. Not easy at all. Most of them are cheap and nasty products.

gene

Mr. Stitcher,

What is the significance, or meaning, of a mummy walking on top of a cow?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

December 14, 2011, 05:09:12 pm #24 Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 05:51:06 pm by kodydog
Gene, that's not just any cow, its a spotted dancing cow!!!  8)

Clearly the mummy is thirsty and everyone knows the best milk comes from happy cows.

Who was the first guy that look at a cow and said, "I think that I'll drink whatever comes out of those things when I squeeze them?"  ~Bill Watterson
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

mike802

December 16, 2011, 07:14:46 am #25 Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:26:51 am by mike802
How much vinyl ends up in land fills for years and years?  Leather on the other hand biodegrades and does not pollute our environment.  This does not take into account the manufacturing process, which in some cases I suppose could be just as nasty as making vinyl, but I have seen naturally processed hides, wont find this with vinyl.  I think vinyl has its place, marine applications are one place I think vinyl would out perform leather, just like fiberglass out performs wood, but people still love mahogany, teak and leather boats, they just require a higher degree of maintenance and care.  Leather is supposedly more breathable than vinyl, making sitting on it more comfortable, especially during hot days, this may be true with some leathers, but some of the finishes, such as the shiny glazes I wouldn't think there would be much difference.  Many people do not know the difference between leather and vinyl, that leather sofa for 499.00 only has leather on the seating surfaces, the rest of it is upholstered in a matching vinyl, same with car seats.  When we upholster something we usually do the whole thing in leather, Just one very small difference in the pricing.

Miami Mike:  It is nice to get your prospective on a subject like this, education concerning the many different fabrics available is hard for the small shop owner to come buy.  The manufactures clams are very subjective and the shop owner ends up relying on his or hers past experience with a given blend of fibers, weaves and so on.  Once this experience is deeply rooted it is hard to change someones prospective.  It also makes it difficult to steer our customers toward one fabric or another when fabrics lines keep getting dropped and new lines added quicker than we are able to become experienced in using them.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Mojo

I drive poor MiamiMike nucking futs. Ask him, he will tell you. :) I am forever asking him for help in selecting the right fabric for a job. :)

I cannot keep up with all the latest fabrics out there. This is why I call Mike all the time to get his input. The beauty of working with someone who I consider a fabric expert is that Mike has been inside  the manufacturing plants and have seen how they make things. He knows the processes of manufacturing but the bonus is that he sells so much fabric that he knows what works and what doesn't simply by getting input from his customers. He knows what works in the North and what wont work in the extreme South. This info is invaluable to me because it helps me educate my customers and makes me sound like an informed and knowledgeable stitcher ( thank God they do not know the truth ). :)

I have worked a little with leather and I like how it machines but for longevity I would go with one of the vinyl fabricsand would push my customer towards a good vinyl.

While on the subject, there was such a stigma attached to vinyl that there was a move in the RV industry to start using the name Ultraleather in their advertising of interiors. I have had a number of people tell me they have leather seats. I hate to break their hearts and tell them no they have vinyl seats. Some have actually went out and bought high dollar leather treatment creams. :)

Chris

stitcher

Gene,

Just being silly that's all

Stitcher