Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:22:57 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

HELP! How do l remove tofey (caramel from a chocolate bar) off cotton Upholstery

Started by wind_rose_2, November 23, 2011, 05:32:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

wind_rose_2

Someone was eating a candy bar and a piece fell on the cotton upholstery of our patio chaise.
It is fresh and appears to be more taffy than chocolate but there is chocolate in it..short of stripping the fabric off the cushion and placing it in the freezer what would you suggest?
Dave

Mike8560

wind_rose_2

kodydog

Try this Dave

http://www.tide.com/en-US/stains/top-stains.jspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2B+stains&utm_campaign=PG_Tide_Search_Category_Stain%2BBrain_Fabric_12.2009

I'd do everything it says except putting it in the washing machine. Hand wash only. And make sure the dye is set first.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

wind_rose_2

Maybe the fabric was scotchguarded but l took boiling water on a dishtowel and it cleaned right up....whew..dodged that bullet!

Mojo

Quote from: wind_rose_2 on November 23, 2011, 07:46:32 am
Maybe the fabric was scotchguarded but l took boiling water on a dishtowel and it cleaned right up....whew..dodged that bullet!

That was going to be my suggestion........hot water.

Good thinking on that one Dave. You dah man. :)

It could have been worse. It could have been ink. :)

Chris

byhammerandhand

I have done a lot of cleaning and there are some basic guidelines.  I wrote an article over at Jack Carr's web site a few years ago.   Rather than repeat it, here's the link:
http://www.carrscorner.com/cleaning.php

Most foods and beverages are water-based, so they clean with water.   The only glitch might be food dyes that need oxidation (most natural and synthetic dyes) or reduction (red food dye).

I remember once early in my career, fresh out of training, but before I read "Chemistry for Dummies" and the light went on.   I had a 1/4" chocolate spot on a chair.   It was an S-coded fabric, and it was one of those 20% that really meant S.  I worked for a long time with Q-tips and solvent based cleaners and it did not budge.   Before giving up I dampened a white towel and blotted it.   In about 5 seconds, the chocolate was gone and in my towel.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

wind_rose_2

Do you not find it amazing that we are all so like minded..(smart)!
Thanks again and Have a Happy Thanksgiving...How do you get turkey grease out????? :P
Dave

Mojo

Quote from: wind_rose_2 on November 23, 2011, 11:08:42 am
...How do you get turkey grease out????? :P
Dave

With a torch............Set it on fire. :)

Happy Turkey day. :)

Chris

Mike8560

Quote from: wind_rose_2 on November 23, 2011, 11:08:42 am
Do you not find it amazing that we are all so like minded..(smart)
Dave

I thought you meant we like chocolate ;)

wind_rose_2

If the shoe fits Mike!
Happy Thanksgiving!
May be heading over to your side of Florida next week..you going to be around?
Dave

Mike8560

I'll be around somwere catching up  after  the holiday.  If you find yourself my way give me a call or e mail

wind_rose_2

bobbin

Turkey grease.  Many moons ago I saved turkey grease in a bowl while making gravy.  While we ate dinner a cat managed to consume the best part of the bowl of turkey grease.  Some hours later we heard the unmistakeable sounds of a cat preparing to vomit.  Yep, the entire contents of the poor thing's stomach were hurled up onto the tourquoise carpet in front of the stove.  The dogs were on it instantaneously.  And they returned to the site for nearly a month after the fact, idly lapping the stain site.  There was a place that was incredibly clean for months after they'd given up on lapping it...

Just thought I'd share...  ::)

Mike8560