Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:12:09 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sling furniture

Started by MinUph, November 26, 2011, 06:06:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

I probably asked this question a year or so ago when doing this set. Customer to Joannes and the fabric didn't hold up. Now I have to do this set again. I'd like some input on the strength of Acrylic fabric used in the form of a sling seat. I have used Sunbrella for canvas work and it sure seems like it would hold up and not stretch but never used it in this application. The customer is not all that fussy in color but wants it to be nice. I am researching fabrics this time for them. Lesson learned on their end. I explained the fabric they bought last time wouldn't hold up. Funny thing is I bought some poly fabric at Joannes 4 years ago for to sling stools we own. They have been out in the Florida sun for 4 years and they still hold my 200 lb a8s. I'm just leery of taking the chance with a customers job. I think I was just lucky.
  I'd even consider the loosely woven fabrics used on outdoor patio chairs. But I would need a supplier for that. And I'd rather see them in a nice looking fabric. It is for a pool lanai.
  So what ya got for me people?
  Thanks.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Paul:

Contact Miami Mike on Monday and ask him what his recommendation is. If he has the fabric in stock in Jacksonville he can ship it Blue Streak for 10 bucks regardless of weight.

I am thinking Recacril would work. What color are they after ?

Chris

JuneC

Phifertex has some amazing fabrics available and not just the mesh you usually see on slings.  They have beautiful wovens that have a soft hand and look like high end spun fibers (who know, maybe they are spun...)  but are built for outdoors.  For sure, next time I have to do a set of my own patio chairs, the fabric will be from this line.  Gorgeous stuff and built to last.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

bobbin

I think the awning/canvas weight acrylics would stand up beautifully, Paul.  It's pretty tough stuff.  And June is right about the Phifertex meshes, they have some really, really nice ones and the stuff wears like iron.