Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 08:41:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Why didn't you guys tell me sooner?

Started by sofadoc, June 14, 2011, 03:32:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

That cutter is a new model for us, and they look great, a lot better quality than our previous discontinued model we were stocking.

And, to top it off, the manufacturer is promoting that it is MADE IN TAIWAN.  What is this World comming to? 

bobbin

Boy do I ever hear what June said!  I hurt my back in mid-May and it was a real eye-opener for me about taking better care of myself.  An emergency visit to the chiropractor and assiduous attention to lower back stretching exercises (before bed and before getting out of it in the morning!) in the weeks hence have gotten me back on track. 

But "working smart" is really, really important.  The years I spent in "the line" at a garment factory taught me about the importance of setting the machine bench and your chair at the proper height and how maintaining good posture can make 8 hrs. a whole lot easier.  I always stretched any time I left my chair; hands up in the air, then outstretched and down to my sides, then over to touch my toes.  In my own shop the machine benches and tabling are at 36 1/2".  The chairs are adjusted so that my waist is at bench height.  I don't have to bend nor do I have to work "high" because my chair is too low, or the tabling too high.  HUGE difference.  I stretch periodically over the course of the day. 

At "work" (there's a reason they call it that) the machines are all set high which is OK, but the chairs are too low even at their highest setting, so I have to work with my elbows up high and it's exhausting, esp. when (as June pointed out) working on something that is big and heavy.  I have a left shoulder that is frequently sore after a big job and after working more and more in my own shop I'm increasingly irritated that simple fixes are never enacted "at work".  It's so easy and it makes everything so much simpler. 

I use the hot knife a lot at work, and try to avoid the (dull as a hoe) shears whenever possible.  I don't sharpen my own shears but see that I ought to buy the equipment and learn how.  I usually have them done every couple of months, usually for free by the mechanic who services my machines and from whom I've purchased a couple. 

sofadoc

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on June 16, 2011, 10:56:58 am
That cutter is a new model for us, and they look great, a lot better quality than our previous discontinued model we were stocking.

After cutting with it for a couple of days now, I wish I had bought one years ago. I did rig up an overhead curtain hook (at needle's suggestion) to keep the cord out of the way. I strung a "zip line" over the cutting table.
Gregg: I noticed that it came with an extra pair of motor brushes. Any idea how long the brushes last?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Mojo on June 15, 2011, 04:22:24 am
Doc:

What kind of materials can you cut with that rotary cutter ?

I have never seen one in action.

Chris

Chirs,

Light canvas, piles of cloth.  Good for several layers of Sunbrella for example. 

slodat

Link to info and pricing on the cutter?