Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 08:39:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Why didn't you guys tell me sooner?

Started by sofadoc, June 14, 2011, 03:32:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Just in the last few weeks, I've developed a case of "numb thumb" from years of cutting with shears. I received the electric rotary cutter that I ordered from Gregg today. I used it for a couple of hours, and I can already see that it will save me a ton of "wear & tear" on my right hand thumb. I only hope that I'm not closing the gate after the cows have already got out.
My high school counselor tried to convince me to go to college. But since I was making more than he was as a teenage upholsterer, his advice fell on deaf ears.
He should have explained the upholstery retirement/disability plan (or lack thereof). ;)
The electric rotary cutter is great for long, straight cuts, but I'm not too sure how usefull it will be for more intricate cuts. Are any of those cordless (or electric) scissors any good?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

christwo

yeah actually the black and decker cordless rechargable ones are great, never have to change batteries and they dont have to drag and obnoxious cord around with you, as long as they stay sharp i learned they work greattt. great for intricate cutting too to an extent, if it was to intricate i just made relief cuts, its pretty incredible how well they cut curves with out slow down or binding! i tried about 7 different sets of electric scissors, and the black and deckers were the ONLY pair i didnt mind using, otherwise i just prefer shears

gene

June 14, 2011, 03:59:22 pm #2 Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 04:02:24 pm by gene
Hey sofadoc,

I think Gregg also sells thumbs. Just remember to specific right or left. LOL

My left thumb is giving me problems. I am left thumbed, as well as left handed. I had steak and rice in a bowl for lunch today at the shop. I went to pick up the bowl and my thumb decided not to work. My shop is very clean, but the floor is certainly not clean enough to eat off of. So, I had to run out to Wendy's for a crappy hamburger.

Hey christwo,

I bought a Black and Dec cordless about 2 years ago. I don't know if I messed up the blades or what, but it cut great for a few months and then wouldn't cut anything. I actually threw it away last year because I could not ever see me using it.

I love my rotary cutter, especially for cutting welt cord. I liked the B&D cordless because it was so light compared to the rotary.

How to you keep the blades sharp? Or do you just buy new ones?

Thanks,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

My wife has recently resumed quilting and has started lurking in the quilting forums online.  A number of people there recommend Harbor Freight as the place to buy rotary cutter wheels for cheap.   I got some for her, but I don't think she's swapped them in yet.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-2-carpet-cutter-replacement-blades-97642.html     They have 4 or 5 sizes, I just can't find them on a search.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Cheryl

Someone here once shared how he sharpens those..   perhaps he will speak up soon.  :)

Thanks H&H for the link..  as cheap as they are -- its worth a shot.  I'll have to have hubby pick up a some next time. :D
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

Mojo

Doc:

What kind of materials can you cut with that rotary cutter ?

I have never seen one in action.

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on June 15, 2011, 04:22:24 am
What kind of materials can you cut with that rotary cutter ?

I only got to use it briefly yesterday after it came in. It easily glides through any upholstery weight fabric. I cut through 8 layers of a medium weight cotton fabric like a knife through butter. It has a 9 ft. cord, and comes with 2 extra blades.
I know that the cord will get in the way a little, but I'd rather deal with that, than having to buy replacement battery packs that cost more than the unit did (seems like that's always the case with cordless screwdrivers).

needles eye

June 15, 2011, 07:35:49 am #7 Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:12:56 pm by needles eye
howdy dowdy kindred spirits with sore hands,

noted these kinda snazzy circular electric scissors (being for 110 -240 volt)  $AUD145- all the way from China with free postage (heck, but no free steak knives it would seam), and, link herewith:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YJ-70A-Type-Circular-Knife-Electric-Scissors-/400208911893?pt=AU_Sewing&hash=item5d2e4f5e15

notwithstanding i'd like rechargeable ones coz i'ma kinda clumsy klutz at times
however it is perceived that cutters with the smarts string up a rope above the cutting table and use curtain hooks to retain the electrical cord

also available on Ebay 4 inch electric fabric cutters 230 bucks with free postage; the lightning ones (blue jobbys) new retail for eleven hundred and usually start 2nd hand for around four hundred on Ebay, that is, for 220 /240V fans

been any  takers on the above items?  any feedback? ta

---------------------------  ***  --------------------------------------------

Friends of the helpful upholstery fraternity i do confess to you that i'm startin' to freak out about my hands falling off and i'm already late for work, hey, met a bloke at the blues club recently ... i shook hands in meeting him and didn't notice anything unusual, we got shootin' the breeze and and sinkin a few ales and he happenned to mention something about getting something done to his hands soon as he had carpel tunnell syndromel, and that's when he showed 'em to me...geez they were like eagle's talons - all bent in to his palms and clawlike and moreover not especially pretty or all that good to perv at.
We all have our ways. 'Spose i'm not all that pretty myself, or as handy as i'd like 2B.

In retrospect can't recollect exactly what he said he was getting done to his hands but he did say they weren't too painful just a bit hard to grip with, will try to catch up with this nice fella again and pay a bit more attention to what he has to say next time over the loud tunes and few drinks. But a seamstress i know, who does upholstery, recently had her tendons (no not her wrists!) cut because of the onset of carpell tunnell syndrome and took months off work and still complains of pain; i mentioned this to me drinkin' buddy at the the time and he said that the tendon cutting surgery doesn't work and you'll get lotsa pins and needles...

Any important  thoughts you'd like to share in this matter of carpel tunnell syndrome????

my input, had tennis elbow once for about 18 mths from windsurfing injuries, tried everything to get rid of it and eventually myfacial therapy (touch for health accupressure ponits stimulated with a wood dowel, prior alternate applications of icy pole / icecream and hotwater bottle) sorted it out.

watcha got to say apart from ouch?  

[oh oh  meant to write "my-o-facial" therapy]

sofadoc

Quote from: needles eye on June 15, 2011, 07:35:49 am
Any important  thoughts you'd like to share in this matter of carpel tunnell syndrome????

My mother developed it at about the same age that I am now. There was a guy that sharpened scissors just around the corner from our shop, but he charged TWO DOLLARS, which was more than my mom was willing to part with. So she cut with dull scissors all her life. So dull, that when the local Chamber of Commerce held a "Ribbon cutting" ceremony at our shop, her scissors wouldn't cut the ribbon. One of the chamber officials had to go to their car and get a pair that would cut through it. I sure that they were thinking "Isn't this supposed to be an upholstery shop?" I never could make her understand that some investments pay for themselves.
I don't intend to be stingy when it comes to devices that will save wear and tear on my body.

kodydog

Used to work with a fellow 20 years my senior. One day I was showing him my callous, the one you get on the back of your second thumb knuckle (maybe its just me). As I was showing him I said, this proves I'm a hard working upholsterer. He says all that proves is you don't sharpen your scissors enough. That always stuck with me and gave me incentive to keep them sharp.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

I am having a lot of trouble with my right hand. I am getting a lot of numbness in it so I need to see the neuro surgeon about having it fixed. My buddy had his carpal tunnel repaired and his hands are now great.

My left hand I do not have the coordination or much feeling it due to a stroke. That I have to live with.

It is not fun getting old. :)

I was wondering if those scissors would cut vinyl cleanly.

Chris

Peppy

Quote from: sofadoc on June 15, 2011, 03:18:05 pm
her scissors wouldn't cut the ribbon.

0_o

Wow.

I sharpen my snips almost monthly, or when needed. Yet still I'm developing the 'claw'. Mostly from pulling on boat tops I think. Had an attack today infact. I follow it up with much hand stretching exercises and use these things http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baoding_balls. They really help. I figure they won't make it worse anyway. Beats patiently waiting till my hands are totally screwed and need surgery.

Quotebut he charged TWO DOLLARS,

Around here they charge $5 and they take forever to do a crappy job. Too bad but I don't think they make these things anymore- http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/ndav8r/Scissorssharpener014a.jpg
This was made by NDAV8R a member here. It works awesome. Guess thats why they stopped making them?

I use an electric rotary knife for vinyl but only rarely. Once a year when I'm cutting 100s of pieces for rollercoasters. And only if it's straight runs. It cuts very nicely but a stack of 10 layers becomes inaccurate when making curves. The top layer is fine but the bottom layer is a different size.

☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

JuneC

They're still out there, Peppy.

http://www.baodingballs.com/store.php?f=browse&cat=Baoding%20Balls&page=1

I should be all crippled by now with the arthritis in my fingers and having spent 23+ years on a typewriter/computer keyboard before sewing full time, but I truly believe the best way to keep the evil forces at bay is to keep "doing" and change your work habits.  After years at the keyboard I found that I had to switch mouse hands - I'm right handed, but I switch to the left for the mouse every 6 months or so.  Works just fine after I get used to it.  After the first 2 years at the sewing machine I found that my left arm/shoulder/neck was killing me.  I discovered that I was using my left elbow to assist heavy canvas across the sewing table.  Changed that habit real quick.  It took time and a lot of conscious effort, but I've learned that body position is critical and how your hold tools and move can make all the difference. 

For instance, stand in front of a mirror in a tank top and relax your arms and shoulders.  Are your trapezius muscles at the same level?  Those are the ones that go from the top of your shoulder up to the base of your neck.  If you're right handed, your right side might be slightly higher.  But shouldn't be much.  I found after hauling heavy canvas through the machine and elbowing it in place with my left, that side was significantly higher than the right and I was getting pain in the neck, numbness in the left hand, etc.  You just have to be conscious of the bad habits in order to break them. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

lamx

My wife is a professional quilter, having given up her cushy, high-paying office job to stand behind a machine quilting frame in the basement all day and earn peanuts.  Anyway, pressing on the ruler to cut binding strips with the rotary cutter, she damaged the ligament that controls her thumb and could no longer bend the thumb.  She is still recovering from corrective surgery and I want to find a way for her to cut accurate strips in quilting cotton without needing to press down on a ruler and re-shread that ligament.  Would one of the motorized rotary cutters work for that?  How would you guide it to make perfectly straight cuts, accurate to 1/8"?  Any other suggestions?  I have toyed with the idea of designing a clamp to hold down the ruler so she doesn't need to press with her hand but it has to be easy to use and provide even pressure along the 24" length of the ruler or she won't use it. 

Ed

NDAV8R

June 16, 2011, 06:44:44 am #14 Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:52:22 am by NDAV8R
Rotary cutters work great, but I still use scissors around complexed curves on leather.  
   Around here they are charging $7 or better for a motorized sharpen job. After they wrecked two pairs of scissors by going too slow across the egdes with the motorized grinder (took out the temper), I made a scissor sharpener. It its made on the same concept of the Lansky Knife sharpener. You get the edge so incredably sharp, you can cut yourself so easy if your not careful.  Motorize sharpeners take off too much metal and shortens the scissors' life.  The sharpener I made is a copy of the one where you could buy off the Upholsterer's Merchandise section...but I don't see it now.

Gale.
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!