Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 02:56:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

M Bobbin's

Started by Mojo, August 18, 2011, 03:04:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

christwo

Quote from: Mike8560 on August 19, 2011, 08:38:05 am
He juki LU does the u stand  for u  bobbins?
The LU-562/3 uses a G bobbin. If im not mistaken the 1508 uses an M.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

August 19, 2011, 01:21:40 pm #16 Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 01:24:31 pm by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Quote from: christwo on August 19, 2011, 11:14:07 am
Quote from: Mike8560 on August 19, 2011, 08:38:05 am
He juki LU does the u stand  for u  bobbins?
The LU-562/3 uses a G bobbin. If im not mistaken the 1508 uses an M.

LU-562 uses "G" prewound bobbin size
LU-563 & LU-1508 series uses "U" prewound bobbin size

scottymc

August 19, 2011, 02:06:35 pm #17 Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 02:15:49 pm by scottymc
BOBBIN WINDING PARTIES AAARRG  ::)

Come on, sitting down and specifically winding a heap of bobbin defies logic. Going to the trouble of making something to wind bobbins when there is a bobbin winder sitting next to your machine,MADNESS!!!!

Do you sit there and watch the thread wind onto the bobbin? Well I s'pose it might be therapeutic. ;)

christwo

Thanks Gregg, I did know better about the 563, but was completly mistaken in the 1508.  :-X

sofadoc

Quote from: scottymc on August 19, 2011, 02:06:35 pm
Come on, sitting down and specifically winding a heap of bobbin defies logic.

Why do you think they sell 'em by the 100?
If you're gonna just wind one while you're sewing, why would you ever need more than 2?
I'm a "Bobbin winding party animal" myself. But I can't really see the need for a seperate apparatus dedicated solely to that purpose.
I completely de-thread the machine, raise the foot, and wind my @$$ off.
Periodically, I'll dab some oil on the bobbin case while it's spinning full blast.
I use this time to oil other portals, too.
While sewing, if I encounter some thread that's being cantankerous, it goes straight to my "Bobbins Only" shelf.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Quote from: sofadoc on August 19, 2011, 03:25:42 pm
Quote from: scottymc on August 19, 2011, 02:06:35 pm
Come on, sitting down and specifically winding a heap of bobbin defies logic.

Why do you think they sell 'em by the 100?
If you're gonna just wind one while you're sewing, why would you ever need more than 2?
I'm a "Bobbin winding party animal" myself. But I can't really see the need for a seperate apparatus dedicated solely to that purpose.
I completely de-thread the machine, raise the foot, and wind my @$$ off.
Periodically, I'll dab some oil on the bobbin case while it's spinning full blast.
I use this time to oil other portals, too.
While sewing, if I encounter some thread that's being cantankerous, it goes straight to my "Bobbins Only" shelf.

This is exactly what I do. Verbatim. Except I crank up the stereo and grab me a tall cold glass of Diet Coke and then go to town on the bobbins. :)

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on August 19, 2011, 03:29:55 pm
This is exactly what I do. Verbatim. Except I crank up the stereo and grab me a tall cold glass of Diet Coke and then go to town on the bobbins.

I don't know what changed me, but in the last few years I've gravitated over to Diet Pepsi. It's funny, I hated Pepsi as a kid.

scottymc

Yes , but your machine runs twice as long(it could be winding while you work) so that's twice the electricity and twice the wear and tear on your machine and you are turning something that is just a part of sewing into a specific time consuming job.
I only have a half a dozen bobbins for each machine, of course they sell them by the hundred, there seems to be demand for it.

sofadoc

Quote from: scottymc on August 19, 2011, 05:02:36 pm
Yes , but your machine runs twice as long(it could be winding while you work)

I look at it differently. I view it as being productive while resting. :D
Anyway, at this juncture in my life, I'm really not interested in maximizing my productivity. Sure, I might save 10 minutes a day by winding as I go. But that will be easily offset by the 20 minutes I spend on the crossword puzzle. Or the hour I take off just because I can.
I'm amused by the ones who come on here trying to figure out a way to account for every last fraction of an hour spent on a job.
C'mon people!! The reason that I'm self-employed is so I don't have to worry about someone standing behind me tapping their watch.
I had my first Juki over 25 years. The one I have now will probably be here when I'm gone, so I'm not too terribly worried about wear and tear.
Another reason, I have a lot of different color spools, but I don't always have 2 spools of every color, so I can't always wind while I sew.

slodat

scottymc

Quote from: slodat on August 20, 2011, 01:20:46 am
I bought a stand alone bobbin winder. Works good..

That looks so good. I'm gunna sell all my machines and just get one of those.

sofadoc

Quote from: scottymc on August 20, 2011, 01:38:15 am

I'm think I'll get me one too. But I'm going to rig it to my sewing machine, so that it ONLY winds while I'm sewing. :D

christwo

Darren Henry

I'm with Scottymc. I've always had a bobbin winder mounted to the table and wind as I go.

In my former life I worked for a guy who had a speed reducer on his harness machine that prohibited winding as you go.What a drudge loading bobbins with a cordless drill every time I needed to sew that much leather. I have the same complaint about my patcher.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

scottymc

Quote from: sofadoc on August 20, 2011, 09:19:04 am
Quote from: scottymc on August 20, 2011, 01:38:15 am

I'm think I'll get me one too. But I'm going to rig it to my sewing machine, so that it ONLY winds while I'm sewing. :D

I've sold all my sewing machine, Darren gave me an idea. I am going to make up up attachment that converts a cordless drill into a sewing machine and another attachment for winding bobbins. I'll be sell it as a package with a 1000 bobbins and an instructional dvd, on ebay of course. This will ultimately fund my real money spinner, a computer program. Virtual bobbin winding, you can put it on your iphone and take it on holidays with you, I know I will, as I will make so much money out of this I'll never have to sew again. :P