Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 05:22:57 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

M Bobbin's

Started by Mojo, August 18, 2011, 03:04:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Quote from: Darren Henry on August 20, 2011, 11:01:17 am
I'm with Scottymc. I've always had a bobbin winder mounted to the table and wind as I go.

In my former life I worked for a guy who had a speed reducer on his harness machine that prohibited winding as you go.What a drudge loading bobbins with a cordless drill every time I needed to sew that much leather. I have the same complaint about my patcher.

I don't have a problem with buying a second spool of Sunguard at $ 29 and wind as I go. But I am currently sewing with nothing but tenara and I have a REAL big problem buying a second spool at $ 155 just to wind bobbins as I go.

I also sew in clear tenara and black so that would be two spools of both, an extra $ 310 just to wind bobbins as I go. I can buy a commercial bobbin winder for much less. :)

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Cry me a river about cost of tenara thread, as I'm quite sure your upcharge to the customer is throught the roof!

Peppy

I am just a unit so my opinion doesn't count, but I always thought bobbin thread was charged to the customer at the same rate as top thread? I mean, you're selling all that thread eventually right? Be it from one spool or six, each job uses 'x amount of thread at $y per foot', no?

But as I say, I don't count. Especially since I've been using dental floss instead of bobbins for years.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

kodydog

That's why I always ask for a couple extra each time I go to the dentist. Lets see 3 rolls of floss twice a year, that's like 6 free bobbins a year and no winding. Scottymc would be proud.  :P :P :P
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Hey, if you swipe one of those drills from the dentist's office, you can floss and wind bobbins at the same time. ;D
I've been going about this all wrong. I floss with 69 nylon thread.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Noooo Sofa. The dentist is the last guy you want to PO if you get caught. Can you say "root canal". Think I'll stick with prewounds.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on August 20, 2011, 02:36:14 pm
Cry me a river about cost of tenara thread, as I'm quite sure your upcharge to the customer is throught the roof!

I have no room left for any more upcharges. I have stiff competition with awnings and I am already over my competitors on costs. I just had to drop my prices to better match some of the larger suppliers. The RV dealers demanded that because they are upcharging my awnings to their customers.

The main reason I am getting so much awning business now is because I am one of the very few who make awnings the way I do ( Recacril, Tenara and Double Stitched ).

I would probably buy more Tenara if I wasn't spending so much on accessories through you machine dealers.... Talking about upcharges...... It's enough to make us cry an ocean. :)....lol....... :P

Chris

seamsperfect

Mojo thanks, I tried $15.00 just for the heck of it and they came back at $23.45, I countered with $18.95 and they accepted it..... ;)
Kevin

Mojo

No problem Kevin.

Sharp and AM Industrial are two of the biggest suppliers on E-bay for feet, bobbins and other do-dads. Several of us on here have used both and their customer service has been astounding. I think it was Doc who had a bad welt foot and they sent him a new one.

I would really like to buy this stuff from Bob but even Bob suggested going where I can get the best deals. I will buy from him if he is close in price on some items because I want to support our advertisers. But I appreciate a dealer like Bob saying " if you can get the same thing cheaper........go for it. I will buy the big stuff from him ( servos, machines, etc. ) because I will not buy these online from E-Slay. But the little things, I try and shop for them for price.

I heard through the grapevine that some of the dealers around the country are sourcing some of their bobbins from the same companies we are but I am not sure about that.

Which brings up another point. If Greg or Bob are buying from a supplier who is also supplying us with the same stuff at the same price they supply Bob and Greg at, is that not an issue ? It would be the same as Miamicorp selling fabric to our customers at the same price they sell to us.

I would not be too happy about it.

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on August 21, 2011, 07:53:17 am
Which brings up another point. If Greg or Bob are buying from a supplier who is also supplying us with the same stuff at the same price they supply Bob and Greg at, is that not an issue ? It would be the same as Miamicorp selling fabric to our customers at the same price they sell to us.

Get used to it. I already have customers that look up fabrics in my sample books, and then go online and order it at my wholesale price through a "3rd party" seller. And they get free shipping to boot.
I've complained about this here before. The line between wholesale and retail gets a little murkier every year.

seamsperfect

August 21, 2011, 10:31:19 am #40 Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:33:31 am by seamsperfect
Quote from: sofadoc on August 21, 2011, 08:22:44 am

Get used to it. I already have customers that look up fabrics in my sample books, and then go online and order it at my wholesale price through a "3rd party" seller. And they get free shipping to boot.
I've complained about this here before. The line between wholesale and retail gets a little murkier every year.

The sample books I show I remake the sheets with my own coding system, or cut or cover the name of the manufacture on the sample books.   Most of my supplies come from Germany, most likely they would not shop those but for domestics the less they know the better.  You can also tell them if you bring your own materials to me the cost will be X.  Add your markup to your labor so it washes in the end.  After all they come to you due to the quality of your works, and if your pricing is reasonable then that is hard to match.
Kevin

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

This topic desreves its own thread...

You guys have it correct, more or less to a point.  These things have been happening in a lot of industries I'm sure for quite some time.  Let's just say how I really feel about this subject, I keep to myself.  Let me say this, with the knowlege that my suppliers will likely read this;  when the time comes when I can't afford to both sell and support their products while making a fair and reasonable profit, I will obviously forced to find other products to sell.  Keystone sewing is a profit making organization, as my dad would say.  And I'd I can't honor our six month warranty, one year on motor without losing my shirt, or have so much up front set up before delivery so we can be confident we can stand behind a product, and keep our best customers, who are our repeat customers, well you get the idea.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Whole other story to this, too. 

Mike8560

Quote from: Mojo on August 21, 2011, 04:27:23 am
I just had to drop my prices to better match some of the larger suppliers. The RV dealers demanded that because they are upcharging my awnings to their customers.

I eoked with couple  stealers one was bigtime but now out of buisness around here. 
They would tack o. 30% to my cost.    I sondr how ma y job didn't vet done because oc this charge. 
Of course I e always wondered why did a boat owner who needs canvS ot upholstery go to the dealer rather then call a. An as shop. I'm zhre it the same with campers I would not fo the dealer for a awning I guess unless I needs the roller   Rhere alas campers world

sofadoc

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on August 21, 2011, 01:18:56 pm
Whole other story to this, too.

I'm not positive where Gregg is going with that statement, but I'll take a stab at it. ;)
People like me, and Mojo only perpetuate the problem when we buy from an E-Bay store.
Same way that every time we buy from Wal-Mart, we drive another nail in the coffin of a "mom & pop" business.
For the record, I have bought a few welt feet, and a 100 bobbins off E-Bay.
But as a rule, I get most of my sewing parts from Gregg. And I only buy thread from suppliers who drive right up to my front door. If I can't touch it, I ain't buyin' it. Same with all other upholstery supplies.

Quote from: seamsperfect on August 21, 2011, 10:31:19 am
You can also tell them if you bring your own materials to me the cost will be X.  Add your markup to your labor so it washes in the end.
I do charge more for COM, but not enough to make it a "wash". If I did that, I would take away ANY incentive to sell fabric at all.
Then, I would be just "playing right into the hands" of wholesalers who unscrupulously sell directly to the public.

Gregg's right. This topic DOES deserve it's own thread.