Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 03:57:18 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Recacril

Started by jsquail, May 04, 2011, 05:10:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jsquail

Mojo made the following points about Recacril in another thread. I didnt want to hi-jack his thread so i started this one.

1.) They carry a huge amount of colors
2.) It is made in Spain in a very high tech factory
3.) Because it has a different weave then Sunbrella it will not stretch over time.
4.) It will last as long or longer then Sunbrella.
5.) It has excellent fade resistance and can easily handle the Florida sun.

I haven't priced out Sunbrella but heard that Recacril is a bit cheaper. Miami is a carrier of Recacril but I know it is widely used in Europe.

I have a couple of questions about Recacril:

Are the colors the same or identical to sunbrella, ie can you use sunbrella binding?
Do you have to hot knife the edges like sunbrella, i am assuming yes at this point?

thanks!

Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

regalman190

Hey jsqail!

Excellent product.

I use it regularly. Not all the colors are the same. The black, captain navy and more are a match. You can use Sunbrella binding (ones that match).

An example; Recacril Charcoal gray is darker than Sunbrella's.

Sew's very well. Pricing depending on where and what your wholesale pricing is, is very close.

The biggest thing I found is that it has a stiffer hand. And since it doesn't stretch, fitting can be a little difficult if made too tight.

And yes....I still use a hot knife.

Joe

Regal Canvas

Mojo

Ditto to everything that Joe said. I get all my Recarcil from Miami Mike. I just bought some bias cut Recarcil binding from him as well but have sewn it before with Sunbrella binding. I do hot knife cut it.

Chris

jsquail

awesome. I will check into it next time I order from Miami corp.

thanks for the input
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Mike8560

The only supplier I have with it is Miami. 
Last I checked rececacril was more  costly the. Sunbrella. Wichita Miami dosent carry. 
If your lokkei g for Les expensive look into outdura  I use alot of that or maybe coastguard / dickson.
It usd to be coastguard a d it was cheaper the. Sunbrella the. Sunbrella bought them out so mayy
it not cheaper.   

Grebo

It comes out a lot cheaper than sunbrella here, thats why I doubted it's 'quality'.
Guess it's the shipping costs to you guys that makes the difference.

Suzi

Mojo

Recarcil is cheaper then Sunbrella.

The last time I cost the two out Recacril was $ 2.00 to $ 3.00 a yard cheaper.

Chris

gene

I had a lady bring a bolt of Sunbrella into my shop for outdoor cushion covers. She was soooo excited. She got it on line for $7.00 per yard. It said "Sunbrella".

It's only the second time I refused to work with a fabric. The weaving was so bad the fabric wouldn't lay flat on my cutting table. The warp and waft threads weren't straight.

To me it was a Sunbrella knock off.

Let the buyer, and upholsterer, beware.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

hidebound

DLT also is a supplier of Recacril.

Mojo

I source the majority of my fabrics from Miami Miami. ( He also takes exceptional care of me and is very prompt ).  They do not  carry Sunbrella so he was the one who initially recommended the Recacril. I love working with it. Folds exceptionally well, sews great and cuts easy.

One of the reasons why I stay clear of Sunbrella is because the Chinese have been loading our shores with counterfeit fabric under the Sunbrella name. I have one very large RV dealer who will not accept awnings anymore made with Sunbrella and a second dealer is thinking of doing the same thing. I got word that Carefree, one of the largest awning manufacturers in the world discontinued using Sunbrella because of quality issues.

With Miami sourcing the Recacril directly from the manufacturer in Spain I can assure I am getting the right stuff. If any of you use Sunbrella, I suggest trying Recacril once to see what you think.

Also, the manufacturer Recarsens have been awesome in supporting my advertising for awnings. They made special for me custom flyers for the RV rally I did. They looked great and included an RV theme. They also have shipped me Recacril tags to sew into my awnings.

Give the fabric a try and see what you think.

Chris

scarab29

If you are buying full rolls you can even buy direct !! There is not that big investment to go direct with them. You will still need a distributor i'm sure but may help some bigger shops to go direct.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Miami Mike

Yes, it is made in Barcelona, Spain.  Right after we put the line in I went to the mill. Went through the plants and saw firsthand how they do it. It is a different weave than the US brands. It is a stable Acrylic. If the fibers get wet, they don't stretch out. It's all in the spinning and weaving of the product.

It's just like anything else you try for the first time. You have to get the feel of the fabric, once you do  it's like anything else you use. The no stretch no shrink factor keeps your product looking great.

I have had several companies change over because of the hand. They tell me it fabricates better and likes the way it lays. Coast was not a big thing to most. Do you want something that works better and makes your job look better? Or do you only look at the price?

If you have not used it, I recommend you try it. Get a small or large job, a buddy or your own Boat / Awning. There are several colors that match up with other brands. We carry bindings to match Recacril in 3/4" AND 1".

If you have never tried Recacril, let me know. I might be able to send you a piece to get under the machine. Remember this is an Acrylic and a woven fabric. Hot knife will seal the edge great. Not a must but I do recommend it.

We also carry the Outdura Acrylic, Made right here in North Carolina. Outdura is a true 9.25 oz fabric. Again we do a good job with it as well. So remember you have the options to use what you want. You are in front of the end user. We have one of the largest selections of woven and coated fabrics out there. I can go on and talk about each one but I'm at my limit here.

If you need any information on anything, feel free to call or email me.

Mike

PS Good points Mojo
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

Mojo

Thanks Mike for showing up to the party. :)

I appreciate you taking the time to post as I know your busy and on the road. Your insight helps a lot and
I never knew you went to Recarsens in Spain. Very cool. I have seen pictures and videos of the plant and it
looked ultra modern.

Thanks again,

Chris

regalman190

I buy Recacril from Miami Corp. And, I find the pricing to be very much in line with Sunbrella. In some cases, less expensive. And, I've never had a problem with the weave or what I get. It's a great material and the only issue I have is convincing boaters that it's just as good or better than Sunbrella. Boaters just don't know the name well enough yet.

As for bad Sunbrella, I have not encountered that yet. I buy my Sunbrella from Manart and I haven't had an issue.
Regal Canvas

Grebo

I can vouch for the colours. Some are identical, others very close.

I still have that beer on ice M Mike.  :P

Suzi