Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 04:13:54 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Boat Upholstery

Started by bosn_locker, April 21, 2011, 09:24:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bosn_locker

Can you use cotton batting in boat upholstery?

Mike8560

Maybe inside I've never though

bosn_locker

I havn't either except I'm doing a seat with an inside curve thats eating my lunch.

MinUph

On some vintage boats cotton was used. I would still use it if it was in a cabin., Dacron is the preferred fill now-a-days. Don't like it but its what everyone seems to use. Dacron will drain better. Be sure to use a plastic sheet over whatever if its outside on deck.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

stitchm

kapok fibre is another fill material that was used quite heavily in marine upholstery at one point. And  used as a buoyant fill in life jackets at some point.

"the silky down that invests the seeds of a silk-cotton tree (ka·pok tree), Ceiba pentandra,  of the East Indies, Africa, and tropical America: used for stuffing pillows, life jackets, etc., and for acoustical insulation.
Also called Java cotton."

JuneC

I'd consider dacron, maybe cotton for an interior cushion.  Kapok is almost explosive in it's flammability.  I'd never put it on a boat - even though it used to be used for life vests.  Guess that was before closed cell foam.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

bosn_locker

Yea-pretty much what I'd been thinking.  Thanks for the replys.