Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 03, 2024, 10:30:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sewing machine sales/service

Started by sofadoc, April 09, 2011, 08:47:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Many here have warned against buying machines off E-Bay, or Craigslist.
Of course Gregg and Bob sell the finest brands, and they offer as much support as is humanly possible. But the general consensus of this forum seems to be that you should try to buy from a local dealer if you can.
After all, it isn't practical to crate up your machine, and send it back to Philly, or Toledo every time you have a problem.
But, the options are getting narrower with each passing year.
My competitor came in today asking if I knew of a repairman.
I suggested the oldest, largest industrial sewing machine center in Dallas (50 miles away). He said that they had went bankrupt after 64 years in business. Then, I suggested the only other one that I knew of in Dallas.
He informed that they too, had went "belly-up".
Sure, there are still several domestic sewing machine centers scattered hither and yon in the Dallas area. But if I needed a new upholstery machine right now, my best option might be to give Gregg or Bob a call and hope that there are no unforeseen problems when it comes in. 
Is this a trend that's sweeping the nation?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

I worry about that, too, Sofa., and I think you're probably right.  In my area there were many textile mills with attendant factories, as well as a large shoe industry.  Now that those operations have been shipped overseas it is becoming harder to find good, skilled machine shops.  But, there are still several in my immediate area, although a mechanic that actually comes to your shop is becoming a rarity.  I can't say I blame them, fuel costs are rising and customers don't really want to pay for travel time (I personally have no problem with that), and they have to have a really good, portable tool set up to address the myriad of mechanical issues that may await them. 

It would seem to me that the displaced mechanics could start a small, mobile business and do quite nicely, but that requires considerably more acumen than simply sound mechanical ability.  We all know that the actual work we do is only the tip of the business iceberg. 

sofadoc

We had a few sewing factories in our town back in the 80's. When the last one closed, there was suddenly a sewing machine mechanic under every rock. They did house calls. Problem was, all they had were a set of screwdrivers, files, and grinders, and plenty of crocus cloth. They didn't have any replacement parts, and didn't really know where to get any.
It seems like it would be tough for a mobile service to carry everything they might need around.
I think that now, more than ever, an upholsterer better know how to time his,or her own machine, as well as other basic repairs.
I used to be able to time my old Juki LU-562. But, when I tried to time my 1508, I made a mess of it, and had to haul it in to a shop. Thankfully, I've needed very little servicing over the years.

Mojo

I have a couple machine dealer/repair places near me, but their main focus is Suzy Homemaker machines. I wouldn't take my machine to them for love or money. They are not experienced in my mind with the industrial machines we use and I cannot risk them screwing it up.

Unless something major goes wrong I will fix it myself. Bob has done an awesome job of talking me through the issues I created by being a dummy. :) He has got me up and going in no time and has stayed on the phone talking me through each step of the fix. I am still amazed at how calm and patient he is. I couldn't do that myself. :)

What has helped me is that my old machine, that blasted Tuffsew and the POS E-Slay dealer who sold it to me actually made me dig into the mechanics of sewing machines and made me learn how to repair, replace and time machines. I had no dealer support at all........None. Notta. I spent years working on cars, tractors, trucks and motor coaches so it wasn't a huge problem learning machines.

On another note, the last time I talked to Bob he was extremely busy. Their sales have been great and his son Bobby is on the road 4 and 5 days a week going to customer locations repairing machines. I know they have some busy commercial accounts and also some large industrial customers ( not to mention the Amish people ) who keep them hopping. Bob handles all the internal sales and bench work and Bobby works out on the road fixing and repairing. They have an awesome system and their customers love their dedication and work, hence, why they are so busy.

I know if a major crisis came up with my machine Bob said he would turn it around quickly for me if I shipped it to him. This is why I keep my old machine around just as a backup.

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on April 10, 2011, 01:53:58 pm
I know if a major crisis came up with my machine Bob said he would turn it around quickly for me if I shipped it to him.

Shipping a head both ways, labor, and parts could get pricey. And at this juncture in my life, I'm no longer interested in spending a lot of time trying to fix my own machine. If my machine needed much repair, I'd probably just buy a new one.

Grebo

Tell me about it  ??? I have been trying for 2 months to get a 'local' service guy to come to my shop. I wanted to get my standby machine in a state to be a stand by & not a 'bit dodgy' before the Easter rush, 3 visits to the shop & several phone calls ( it's almost impossible to park any where near the shop) yes, yes we will call you back.  >:( On the first request, it was yes no problem for a home visit.  >:(  Grrr.
I don't want to take the head into their shop as I want the motory bits checked & set up as well  :'(

Suzi

crammage

I was fortunate to find a "local retired" guy who works on mostly domestic sewing machines, but he learned to sew in the navy on the industrial machines and knows his stuff.  He's so funny because every time I call (which has only been a few times) he always says, "I'm not sure I can fix it but I'll take a look".  Next thing you know the machine is purring like a kitten, then he charges me $20.00.  Then he proceeds to tell me stories of the 20 or so machines he has to tune up at the quilting center at a local church because the ladies get the tension all messed up every month.  He's happy because it keeps him busy in retirement,  Not sure what I'm going to do when he's no longer around.  He's already had several heart attacks and has a defibulator implanted in his chest now for when his heart stops.  But he just keeps going.....

Clay

Grebo

Quote from: crammage on April 11, 2011, 05:25:57 am
I was fortunate to find a "local retired" guy who works on mostly domestic sewing machines, but he learned to sew in the navy on the industrial machines and knows his stuff.  He's so funny because every time I call (which has only been a few times) he always says, "I'm not sure I can fix it but I'll take a look".  Next thing you know the machine is purring like a kitten, then he charges me $20.00.  Then he proceeds to tell me stories of the 20 or so machines he has to tune up at the quilting center at a local church because the ladies get the tension all messed up every month.  He's happy because it keeps him busy in retirement,  Not sure what I'm going to do when he's no longer around.  He's already had several heart attacks and has a defibulator implanted in his chest now for when his heart stops.  But he just keeps going.....

Clay

Exactly what I am looking for,  oooh I am so jealous  :(
Does he want a couple of days holiday  ;D

Suzi