Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 04, 2024, 04:28:30 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Question on turnbuttons

Started by Mike8560, April 05, 2011, 05:55:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

I've seen this done but never tried it   You know the turnbutton male piece with 2. Holes on the base to rivit it to the boat   Well theese were instaled onto canvas with snap caps not the 2 pro g with backer plate like made for canvas the snap cap was installed with the round cap on the Finnish side of the canvas and the stud part went through the canvas ans through the hole in the turnbutton and the rolled section held it on with 2 snap caps per turnbutton    I havnt tried it yet but it seems it would be tuff to line up the snap with the hole in the tilurnbutton and roll it using a press n snap tool.
HS anyone done this and am I makeinf a big deal of it ? 
I'll take a pic tomorow if needed

Peppy

I do that all the time Mike. I use a 'double barrel' dome (that is- with a longer post) it works fine. I 'predrill' the holes with a soldering iron then push the snaps through by hand. I rivet all kinds of stuff with snaps. Here's a how to I made....

http://get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?topic=9063.0
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mike8560

Your how to was putting a turnbutton on a widow clip didntou have one on putting a turnbutton on cava peppy? And d you use a press
n snap tominstall it ?

Thaanks

jsquail

i did that on a Beneteau a few months ago. I used my pres n snap tool. Ypou have to finagel(sp) a bit but it will work I used the short shanked snap caps as i was only going through sunbrella(2 layers) and 1 layer of 30ga clear.  If you have doubts, snap caps are cheap so do a few tests to your liking. Then be careful and drill the caps off with a drill on low speed so you dont damage the common sense fasterner. I use a rotary punch to make the hole before i crimp the snap and turn fastener on.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Lynn

I use this method to put turnfasteners on sailcovers. Works really well.
Peppy I saw your 'how to' to put them onto a windshield clip...love it! gotta try that.
Lynn
Life's too short.....let's go fishing!!!

Mike8560

Well I tried it this morning 2 layers of sunbrella I just where the he was and didn't even neeb to drill a hole I just lined up the piece with the mark with a cap in the tool the socket die I li Ed up with the hole in the turnbutton and Wala it wiles fine lean sorhing new today that guys

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/photo-104.jpg
here's the opisite side

fragged8

hiya

thats a standard way of doing it over here Mike, a good 40% of the local inland waters boats
have the doors held on like that. :o

I was patterning one today that had just that.

Mike8560

I e never had to put a turnbutto. In canvas much a d when I did I always used the type with the pro gd for canvas. I like this allot better it seems more durable

jsquail

Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com

scarab29

Nice trick. Making a boom cover this week , it may come in handy !! Thanks !!
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

JuneC

Pardon me....  I didn't know there was any other way to install them.  I've always used snap buttons to install them in canvas (ignorance is bliss).  Works like a charm with the Hoover. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

I did have to drill the he's on them to fit the snap cap June.
I don't have a pic but if you look in a tri v book or man art there are male turn buttons with 2 prongs and a backerate that is installed in canvas. I like this better I just wish we didn't need to drill the holes out 

JuneC

I've never had to drill anything.  Must be my snap caps have a smaller shank for some reason.  They fit perfectly through the holes on the Common Sense. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

jsquail

i wasnt saying to drill out the hole to make it bigger. I was suggesting to drill the snap cap off after a crimp test with the common sense. They arent cheap fasteners, but the snap caps are cheap.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com