Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 04, 2024, 12:28:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Looking for a source for Ultrasuede

Started by JuneC, March 22, 2011, 04:27:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Anyone have a good source for Ultrasuede?  I'd prefer the real deal from Toray.  I'm in need of about 10 yards.  Not sure of the color since I can't find a swatch card from any of my suppliers.  It's a very light beige - I think it's "sand", or "chamois".

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

Did you contact Miami Mike ? I cannot remember if they carry Torray or not.

Chris

JuneC

No, unfortunately.  They do carry a fake suede but not the heavy duty Ultrasuede Ambiance in all the colors that Toray has. 

June

W. C. Fields

RiCat

Gulf Fabrics - Tampa Fl
www.gulffabrics.com

Rick

ps... sit down when you get the price per yard.... they are proud of it.... and sold in 1 yd increments only last I dealt with them.....

If you want other sources for imitation suede let me know..... I have about a half dozen differnt cards from Miami and Keystone and some others....

JuneC

I've seen the Gulf Fabrics website, and guessed that their prices are insane.  However, I can't believe that they have exclusive distributorship for Ultrasuede.  The Ultrasuede website lists some fabric stores as resellers of their products, but all in the midwest/northeast and I'd rather get a wholesale supplier than order online from a brick and mortar fabric store (assuming they'd even take a phone/online order).  Unfortunately, I have to match the color of the existing fabric - at least I think I do.  I'll check again tomorrow. 

This is one of those projects that grows every time I ask a question - some Italian mega-go-fast.  This is for the interior.  After that, the cockpit in who-knows-what kind of fabric or vinyl.  I've budgeted $800 for this part of the materials so hopefully that's enough for 10 yards.  I still have to add foam and lamination (headliner/hullliner), but I'll be doing that myself.  I think it was originally done in Alcantara (simply because I don't recognize the backing).  It looks on the surface like the smoother side of Ultrasuede, but there's a soft, knit backing that was not applied by the upholsterer (I'm pretty sure).  This was then laminated to 1/4" sew foam using what looks like the traditional Landau glue we all use.  And it was laminated to the headliner luan using the same Dap glue (or Italian equivalent). 

June

W. C. Fields

RiCat

If I recall correctly, the last time (maybe a year ago) I priced Ultrasuede it was in the 65 - 70 a yard range ???? - from Gulf... I have found their prices are not much more than any other jobber with a comparable product. They are good ppl to deal with (I have been doing business with them off and on for over 30 yrs) and they carry a good line of upholstey materials / supplies / tools for the trade. I would not doubt that they have an exclusive for Ultrasuede - they were the exclusive for the southeast US on UltraLeather HP when it first came out and it looks like just in the past year or so UltraLeather has opened up to other distributors - but they are all still in the same ball park of prices at about $55 a yard.

As far as Ultrasuede, I have not found a reason to justify the price for it compared to other lines of imitation suede that are $30 to $40 a yard cheaper - unless you are locked on a particular color that only Ultrasuede can provide. If someone else has more experience with imitation suede and the comparisons (texture, wearability ect), maybe they can share. Also with Ultrasuede, if a customer insist on the product, fine and dandy - the more the material cost - the more is made on markup

To switch gears and to address something in your post, if I could ask you a question, please? You said you were going to do your own foam lamination on the materials for the headliner / hullliner - I have always been leary of using Dap to laminate foam to material for liners and let me tell you why - Dap being a contact cement - when the foam is glued on the material - one has a layer of contact cement on that side of the foam (either 1/2 or 1/4" foam) between the fabric and foam - now when one glues that to either a thicker piece of foam on the wall or glue to the ceiling - then one has another layer of glue on the other side of the 1/2" or 1/4" foam - now for the problem I perceive - when dealing with a thin layer of foam and contact cement on both sides of the thin foam laminate - if the foam gets compressed by - lets say someone leaning against or hitting a wall - then the glue on one side of the foam contacts the glue on the other side of the foam and one has an imprint. This is why I am inclined to use a pre-laminated foam backed material. I don't have to be concerned with the glue on the fabric side on the foam sticking to the Dap side I put on. The only possible solution I came up with it is if I am going to laminate myself, give it plenty of time to dry - like a day or two and then apply to the wall or ceiling.

Thank in advance for any reply and have a blessed day....

Rick

seamsperfect

Keep in mind that Gulf sells real Alcantara.  The Best synthetic on the market.  It is used in many high end vehicles.
Kevin

Steve at Silverstone Fabrics

June, I hate to be self serving but I sell Toray Ambiance Ultrasuede on eBay for $23/yd. 

I buy large inventories of major furniture manufacturers in  NC and Ultrasuede and Sensuede are two of my best sellers. Since we are not "true" Ultrasuede dealers, I am limited to the yardage and colors that are in each lot of fabric we purchase.

I just processed a 12 yard roll of Toray Ambiance Ultrasuede 3092 Sahara....it is a little darker than 3584 Sand and 3280 Chamios.  Let me know if you would like a sample.

If you want to look at my listings, my eBay name is: silverstonefabrics (FYI: to find me go the advanced search and do a search by seller, insert silverstonefabrics in the search bar and take a look at my 900 listings).  Steve

JuneC

Sterry, I'd love to support you and other members of this board.  I'll IM you my address and you can mail me a small swatch.  I'm trying to match existing upholstery, but for the number of panels I'm covering, by the time it's done, it might be ALL new covers so an exact match might not be necessary.  I'll check tomorrow.  The project changes daily, but the guy has deep pockets and no complaints about pricing (dream customer  8)) so whatever he wants...

June

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

i  know i had a ultresuede card but i looked through all my book and didnt see it.

JuneC

Update...  Alcantara (which appears to be what was first used in this boat) is discontinued.  Alcantara was sold in use US as Ultrasuede Milano.  It would appear that Toray bought out the Italian company that made Alcantara and subsequently killed it off. If anyone had info to the contrary, I'd love to hear about it... especially since Toray doesn't make all the colors that Alcantara came in and I'm sitting on one of them.  The Ultrasuede swatch card from Gulf has about 80 colors, none of which I need.   I looked on the Toray website to find Knoll Textiles and they have on back order for me their Ultrasuede color card but sent me a few color samples which I'm afraid don't match.  I bought the swatch card from Gulf, but they don't match.   In spite of their website, they don't carry any Ultrasuede line other than Ambiance. 

So.....  Here's my assessment so far.   Both Gulf Fabrics and Knoll Textiles have outstanding customer service departments.  They were extremely helpful and offered to try to match what I need.  I'll probably order the closest match and hope they never turn the lights up brightly in the cabin of this boat, but I'll have to explain to the customer that their original interior has been discontinued and offer to finish off the un-recovered bits with what IS available. 

Sterry, the Sahara was just way too dark, but thanks for sending the swatch. 

Stay tuned y'all....  :D

June

W. C. Fields

seamsperfect

June,
Are you looking for the real trademark Italian made "Alcantara"?  www.alcantara.com.  Gulf still carries it.
Alcantara has a finer hand than any other synthetic out there. What color are you looking for I have suppliers in Germany that might be able to help.
Kevin

JuneC

Kevin, the guy I spoke with in customer service at Gulf said they didn't carry Alcantara anymore.  How recently have you gotten it from them?  He's also the one that told me that Alcantara had been sold in the US as Ultrasuede Milano.

June

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

Sounds like a real pia job June. Having to cover kore due to the color not to mention rhe time looking for the material.

seamsperfect

April 11, 2011, 06:15:00 am #14 Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 06:22:20 am by seamsperfect
Quote from: JuneC on April 11, 2011, 05:41:42 am
Kevin, the guy I spoke with in customer service at Gulf said they didn't carry Alcantara anymore.  How recently have you gotten it from them?  He's also the one that told me that Alcantara had been sold in the US as Ultrasuede Milano.

June

June,
I got in an order in a few weeks ago.    Call this number and ask for (my reg rep is out today)  Lucy 800-237-6677.  I just talked to Lucy to find out if they received any more stock of a certain color for a project coming up, she said yes some came in last week and she is sending me more new samples for my new site.      They do carry the Toray Ambiance line as well.
Kevin