Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 10:24:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sail Shades

Started by GMP, March 20, 2011, 03:37:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GMP

I have been researching fabrics, thread and hardware for sail shades. I believe that Sunguard V138 will be the thread of choice unless someone on the forum can recommend a better choice. I am however undecided on what fabric to use. At first I was planning an using a Sunbrella Marine or Awning fabric but am also considering Top Notch. I am wondering if Top Notch might be to heavy of a material to use. Can anyone provide thoughts regarding a good fabric for sail type shades. This will be my first sail shade and will be about 12' x 9' in size. All comments and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

bobbin

What's a "sail shade".  Are you talking about one of those "architectural" shade awnings that is tensioned off to 3/4/5 contact points?  Like the old Moss Tents or the new, very cool, "Coolaroo" awnings?

I agree that V138 thread is the hot set up.  But as for fabric, it's depends on your ultimate goal (shade only, or some rain protection) and your willingness to use the fabric's bias to achieve the sort of tension and spring that allows the piece to remain taut under all circumstances. 

GMP

Yes---It is an architectural type shade. I would like some rain protection. During the windy season here in California it would be taken down.

bobbin

If you're not particularly concerned with protection from rain then I'd suggest you look at the very cool fabrics that Coolaroo uses.  They're permeable and allow wind to move through them easily.  They deliver a lovely filtered sunshine and will diffuse rain.  Very cool stuff. 

Here, in New England, we receive rain all summer long and so some protection allows outdoor spaces to be viable in all but the crappiest weather.  I guess where you are in Fantasyland dictates the product that's right for your purposes.  :) 

The acrylics are not so forgiving of inexperience when cutting/using the bias effectively, but it's not imposssible.  The old Moss Tents were 100% cotton canvas and they'd shrink into shape after getting soaked once/twice and tighten up nicely.  Acrylics won't do that, and neither, I suspect, would Top Gun.  But if you talk to your reps. and are willing to fiddle around a bit I bet you'll come up with a winning combination.