Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:00:09 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Button Hardware

Started by baileyuph, March 17, 2011, 05:58:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

March 17, 2011, 05:58:24 am Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:29:03 am by DB
Business that provide upholstery furnishing subject to moisture, marine and outdoor furniture, to name a couple, what is being used for the forms?

One would expect plastic components are available, anyone been there and done that?  As a matter of fact, I have seen forms, at least partially plastic, therefore the question about the plactic components is can the buttons be formed in traditional molds?

Doyle

kiwistuffer

I use all plastic buttons that work in the same moulds as metal so they are available(here at least NZ)will check out the brand and let you know.....

Exotic Leather

kiwistuffer

You got it, someone somewhere is making them, I can buy them off the shelf from my supplier.Hope you find them....  :)

Dede

March 19, 2011, 12:35:19 pm #4 Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:51:51 am by Dede
Quote from: kiwistuffer on March 18, 2011, 10:07:48 pm
You got it, someone somewhere is making them, I can buy them off the shelf from my supplier.Hope you find them....  :)

I'm glad they still exist!  I guess no one is exporting them to the US anymore. :(

Tell me... how do you like those buttons?  I've never used them.  What's been your experience?  Do they hold heavy upholstery fabric without separating?
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

kiwistuffer

Quote from: Dede on March 19, 2011, 12:35:19 pm
Quote from: kiwistuffer on March 18, 2011, 10:07:48 pm
You got it, someone somewhere is making them, I can buy them off the shelf from my supplier.Hope you find them....  :)

I'm glad they still exist!  I guess no one is exporting them to the US anymore. :(

Tell me... how do you like Scott buttons?  I've never used them.  What's been your experience?  Do they hold heavy upholstery fabric without separating?

They are as good or better than the metal ones, you have to be sure to assemble them the right way round or they come undone,but you find that out pretty quickly....

ragtacker

Dede,
I have used them and love them.  If you can find an economical way to supply them I would order a bunch.  They will work in a regular button machine.
Jan

Dede

March 20, 2011, 05:45:08 pm #7 Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:39:43 pm by Dede
I'm on it, Jan...
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

Cheryl

*LIKE*    :D  Dede - you're awesome!   
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

baileyuph

March 23, 2011, 05:10:39 am #9 Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:15:39 am by DB
Good information people, interesting.

When one sees outdoor seating accomplished with buttons, is the thinking here that the shells or button forms are metal?  Must be if the Scott button is the only one a covered plastic.  The solid exposed plastic with the hook integrated is no mystery with respect to the rust solution, works but in a contrasting form.  

I am seeing Sunbrella covered cushions with large covered buttons, matching material, and this discussion, so far, leads to the conclusion that these are metal covered forms, same as interior upholstery would use.  Therefore it is either this way or use hook back solid buttons in available colors.

Is that consistent with your outdoor cushion efforts?  Go with the metal forms covered in fabric of choice or use the solid hook back plastic buttons?

Doyle