Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 08:28:03 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Gloves for working in.

Started by Grebo, February 28, 2011, 08:00:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

My hands get really cold this time of year no matter how fast I work  ::)
I have been using some nice cosy woolly finger less mitts which really help, but as you can imagine they get scuffed up real quick.  I was just looking at these http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeWalt-DPG23L-Synthetic-Leather-DEWPERFORM4/dp/B000YSZR8I/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1XSB946ULI485&colid=1T9VHC92JWZ9B
Any one tried them ? or got any others that are suitable.  ;D

mike802

Grebo:  I have a pair very similar to those, actually two pair, one is a leather fingerless glove for motorcycle riding and the other is for carpel tunnel.  I don't have carpel tunnel, but both gloves work really well for me, especially when tufting.  They can be kind of a pain to off quick if you feel you need a glove less hand, but overall they work well.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Grebo

Thanks Mike, I will just hang on to see if I get any other answers then I will get them ordered.  ;D

Suzi

fragged8

hiya

I bought some gloves this winter, they look pretty similar to those
but have fingers in them with grippy ends.

found them ok to work in for about 80% of the time until you get to
the real fiddly stuff. about £7 ish from a builders merchants.

Also tried some thin rubber coated gloves too but they didn't keep my
fingers warm at all.

Mojo

I have a pair of gloves almost identical to the ones you listed. They work well but are a pain in the rear end to take off and put back on.

Like Mike said it isn't a quick thing taking them off. :)

Chris

ragtacker

I have an old pair of fingerless sailing gloves.   The fingers tend to be a little longer, which is great for tying springs

RENE G

Hiya Suzi, I have used some very similar to those, kept back of hands warm enuff but like evry1 said the are a real pain to take off. I think 19 pounds a bit pricey. Paying a lot for Dewalt logo. Mechanics supply shop should carry something similar to those. Rene

Grebo

Thanks for the input, not worried about a quick take off thats why I use fingerless so I don't have to.
& will check out the mech's place first Rene  ;)
Thanks gang  :D

Darren Henry

I'd find those a bit bulky and a bit over priced for what you get. Have you priced out curling gloves? I know they probably aren't real popular in Spain but they are similar to driving gloves.

QuoteAlso tried some thin rubber coated gloves too but they didn't keep my
fingers warm at all.

I haven't tried it but know a few people who swear by those latex gloves (look like doctors gloves from the paint/hardware store) over a generous application of petroleum jelly (Vaseline etc..) for cold wet situations like ice diving (inside your neoprene gloves ) or ice fishing if your the guy in and out of the minnow bucket and cleaning the fish etc.. No loss of dexterity, and if it doesn't work---your already kitted out for when you have to paint the fence or work on something truly gross  8)
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

I was tying tufted buttons on a big window seat cushion. I wrapped duct tape around my baby fingers and that's where I pull the string to tie off the buttons. The only thing I need to do is to remember to use the baby fingers and not my other fingers.

Does anyone use these or other gloves to tie off tufted buttons or when tying springs?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

crammage

I have a pair of mechanics gloves that I use one in a while.  My problem is I don't like wearing gloves so when my fingers are sore, that's when I think about the fact I should have put on gloves.  Too late, so I just finish up without them.

Darren Henry

QuoteDoes anyone use these or other gloves to tie off tufted buttons

I've got a pair of leather "rings" that I use when I'm hand stitching harness or sewing welt onto shoes. They're just a strip of garment leather about 3/4" wide and two wraps around my fingers with the ends glued down. I wear one on my pinky and one on my pointer at the first knuckle. The other thread gets wrapped around my awl haft to draw the stitch tight.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!