Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 09:19:45 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Scam?

Started by Rich, February 24, 2011, 06:14:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

Odd phone call I got yesterday. The woman who called said she was an operator for the hearing impaired and would translate a call from a potential customer. The customer wanted a price on "Kitchen couches" I said I didn't know what was meant by that and gave my email address for them to send a picture. Then, they wanted my address so they could deliver them by a third party who would pay the entire amount of $3500.00 (their price, I didn't name one). They then went on to explain that the customer was in the hospital with some serious sounding illnesses (so why are they concerned with having reupholstery work done at this time, I wondered?) and that they would be giving me a credit card for that amount and a delivery person would need to get half of that back from me when they delivered. (Big red flags going up now) I told them they were getting ahead of themselves and the operator said "they hung up". This, after I was on the line with them for about ten minutes waiting for the translation. Next time it's, "sorry, don't have the time right now, call some other time"
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

sofadoc

I've always wanted to play along with one of those scams long enough to see how it's supposed to work.
I know they'll say that they are sending a courrier to pick up the merchandise that they've graciously volunteered to drastically over-pay for.
Then they say that they accidentally made out only one check that's supposed to be for both you and the courrier. They want you to pay the courrier out of your pocket, and just keep the whole check.
It seems like you could just have the police waiting when the courrier shows up. Right?

My wife has seen this at the bank she works at many times. People come in to cash that big check they received from the "hearing impaired". Of course, the check isn't any good. They've already let the courrier drive away with the merchandise, and $500 cash.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Grebo

There is a video on U tube of a couple of guys, playing along with a phone scammer, they wont be making any movies but it's quite funny.