Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 07:28:34 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Staple Gun & Compressor

Started by regalman190, February 24, 2011, 10:44:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

regalman190

Starting to do more marine upholstery this year, so I'm looking for ideas on a staple gun.

Any recommendations on electric gun or air? If air, what kind of compressor?
Regal Canvas

SHHR

I use a BEA air stapler. It shoots the #7 empire staples that are very common. You can get them in virtually any length, and are available in S.S., steel, and galvanized. The stapler is also available regular or an extended anvil to reach tight areas better. When starting out I used an electric arrow stapler that shoot the standard T-50 staples you can buy anywhere, but it didn't seem to have the power to drive longer staples in all of the way.

If all you're doing is running a stapler and maybe a glue gun a small a small 3 - 5 Hp 20gal compressor is all you'll need. You just need to hit about 50 PSI max. You could probably find one used for cheap in a flea market or craigs list as long as the owner will guarantee it. I would reccomend going larger if you plan on adding to your shop. some air tools like grinders will eat the air supply up in no time. I have an 80 gal 7.5 HP compressor and can still starve it for air sometimes, I do use it for more than upholstery though.
Kyle

gene

Search this forum. There's a lot of good posts on this topic.

Our host sells staplers also. I have my eye on his long nose since mine died in Dec.

Having a regular work horse for furniture upholstery and a long nose for cornice boards works for me.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

Here is a video on how to choose a compressor by one of the vendors:
http://www.youtube.com/campbellhausfeld#p/u/18/VVEpHlrRPzw
There is a particularly good segment at the end about power usage.

Ignore HP ratings as they can stretch the truth quite a bit.  Look at SCFM.

It does not take much to run a stapler.  Even in "machine gun mode" it takes little air and is intermittent.  I do onsite work with a small 2-gallon compressor and it does fine.  It is fairly quiet, light, and "outlet friendly."

In the shop, I have a 4 gal that runs an HVLP spray gun.   It runs a lot, not continuously.  I sometimes pause to let it catch up.

Most of the pneumatic tools that I can think of that suck air and require a large compressor and 240V have electric equivalents that run 120v.  Yes, they are a little heavier and may not last as long, but unless you are doing work with it all day every day, I can't see going the pneumatic route.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

bobbin

I have an electric stapler and after using a pneumatic one a friend loaned me I'm sold on air.  The electric one is really heavy... go for a pneumatic one!

I'm eyeing the long nose one advertised on this site, too, Gene.  I bought a nice foam saw (the 500) from our host and I just love it.  Worth every penny... and both blades move. 

MinUph

I've had my 1HP Sears compressor for probably 25 years. It works fine for an upholstery shop. I've had 3 guys running staplers with it, spraying glue and it worked fine. Air staplers are much lighter and therefore easier on you hand and arm. I do have an electric one for service work but wouldn't want to use it all day. Get a decent stapler and a compressor in the 2-3 HP range. The specs have changed in the way compressors are sold so I can't say a 1 HP model is the same as 25 yrs ago. I run guns at 85 - 90 lbs. I can't see 50 lbs of pressure driving a staple into hard wood. Pine or plywood maybe.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

byhammerandhand

A few years ago, I subcontracted with an upholster to go with me on an all-day hotel job.  I was doing wood touch ups and he was doing upholstery repairs.   He brought a long his rechargeable electric stapler.  On the first piece, the battery went dead.  He swapped in a fresh battery and it wasn't so fresh.

I ran out and got my portable compressor and air stapler and told him to go ahead and use it.   That evening, he ran out and got a small compressor.

Quote from: bobbin on February 24, 2011, 05:07:35 pm
I have an electric stapler and after using a pneumatic one a friend loaned me I'm sold on air.  The electric one is really heavy... go for a pneumatic one!

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

jsquail

i needed one to do a recent job. I went to Harbor freight and bought their 30 dollar 20 gauge stapler. picked up some SS staples from Manart and it did a fine job. However, i am still looking at a Duofast.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Mojo

I bought this compressor a few years back and have had excellent luck with it. I run my stapler off it but also all my pneumatic nailers including the big framing nailer.

http://www.portercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17019

Because I use a stapler very little I just went to Harbor Frieght and bought a 1/2 " crown on sale for
$ 19.00. It has worked out great. If I was going to be using a stapler a lot I would invest in a good quality stapler but because I do not use one that often then I skipped on the high dollar one.

If I go through three of these staplers over the next five years I am still money ahead. :)

The Porter Cable compressor is a good one and several of my buddies have that same model. They have had excellent luck with theirs as well. You can get them at Lowes.

Chris

JuneC

I got a great deal on a 4-gal DeWalt online (free shipping) about 5 years ago and couldn't be happier.  At the time, the gang on here was advocating the type with oil, not oil free, and it's worked like a champ for everything I want to do with it - stapling, spraying glue.  It's noisy though.  I'd like to build a sound-proof box for it.  For portable air, I'd like to get an old scuba tank and get the 1/4" npt head on it. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

bobbin

I use the same Porter-Cable pancake compressor Mojo linked.  Mine is used mostly to power the automatic foot lift on my machine.  And I'm with you, June, the thing is loud!  Mine is downstairs in one of the garage bays, but it still makes a lot of noise when it kicks on over the course of a day. 

Do any of you pipe the compressed air overhead and tap into it  from below?

Peppy

Quote from: bobbin on February 25, 2011, 06:49:49 am
Do any of you pipe the compressed air overhead and tap into it  from below?

We upgraded to a big one like this: (sorry don't know the exact hp or the details)

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Quincy-2V41C60VC-Air-Compressor/p855.html

It's plumbed into the old overhead copper line and a new line of flexible pipe with the compression fittings. It also feeds a retractible airhose that hangs from the ceiling as well as other hoses. We got the big one as the old one (this type http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/IronForce-IHP90G25H1-Air-Compressor/p5504.html) was dying a slow death and couldn't keep up with the glue sprayer and the grometer. It's a big improvement. If we're only using the staplers it'll run once or twice a day and it's in the back corner of the shop away from customers and the phone. The retractible hose is a huge bonus for clean up.

We use Senco staplers ( this guy http://www.senco.com/ToolDetails.aspx?c=4&k=1D0101N) and have I have no complaints. I really like the pinky reloader. Reload on the go without changing your hold on it. Important since you always run out of peas when you need one most.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mojo

My brother in law ( a master plumber ) is coming over from Australia for vacation and is installing air outlets and pipe throughout my woodshop and upholstery shop. The compressor will be sitting outside in a shed and the air piped in from there.

I plan on having several outlets installed and then use the coil air lines as needed. I do have a retractable air hose in the woodshop that is mounted near the door. I am currently using that for my stapler.

I will let you know how it goes once its installed and up and running.

Chris

bobbin

Wow, Peppy, that sounds like a really nice set up.  My brother suggested piping the air into my workroom (he did a lot of automotive body work and painting) and I was thinking about using ceiling mounted track to carry the flexible hose to my work area and tapping into it that way.  

How do you operate two tools requiring different pressures from the same compressor?  My machine requires higher pressure to fire the solenoid and work the automatic presser foot lift.  Staplers operate best at lower pressures than that.  Can you suggest something?

Peppy

I don't know Bobbin. The compressor runs at 120psi and it powers it all. Staplers seem to run fine as does the glue pot (a critter type). Critter says to run it at 80ish psi and I played around with a limiter on it for a bit but found no improvment in performace. ???. Same with the pea shooters. Works fine at 120. The grometer does have a limiter as it needs 120 for the big spur gromets in seatbelt webbing and 50ish for the little guys or else they jam. When it ain't broke I don't fix it. Only ever had a problem with an old (VERY old) stapler that would shoot 50 peas at once when the compressor was running. The fix for that was to buy a new one.   
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering