Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 08:28:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Premofast Thread-- is it Useless?

Started by stitchit, February 24, 2011, 08:29:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

stitchit

Trying to start sewing on my pontoon seat upholstery and the thread I have purchased for it is giving me fits!

As mentioned earlier I use Tenera Gore-Tex thread.  Have never had any issues with the Gore-Tex. Of course I have not done much upholstery with it. Mainly covers & enclosures.

Didn't care for thread called Nubond. I switched to Premofast thread & it is continually fraying and braking. It seems to be a "hairy" type of thread. That is, lite fibers from the thread are evident when just looking at the thread. After pulling thru the machine and needle the hairs are more visible than ever.

For some reason, the darn thread seems to break on a stretch of about two feet and mainly noticed when sewing last pass on welt with welt foot. On a straight run without the welt it seems to be ok.

Can anyone tell me if u have this same problem?

Here's a video of it in action-

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n500/stitchit2/Bob/BadMachine.mp4

Thanks,

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

If everything else works in your machine, but the thread...it's probably the thread. 

Not all two spools of thread are the same, so don't go so much by brand or type.  Even a cone of thread can be good to go, but turn bad as you get to the middle or end of the core, or what else.

Another tell tale sign as you are saying is that the bonding is fraying, or coming apart.