Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 09:26:39 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

vinyl covered buttons

Started by tudorford, February 23, 2011, 10:40:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tudorford

last summer I did a diamond tufted seat for a 1911 Model t Speedster.  Seat looked great when I finished it.   Now the vinyl covered button heads are all poping off.  The customer is being really good about the problem but I want to make it right so I am re doing the seat but I'm not sure what to do about the buttons so it doesn't happen again.  I used the small button molds (22's I think) to match the original upholstery that was on the seat and I pressed them as hard as I could and pulled on them to make sure they were secured but they are still coming apart.

Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix the problem.  I'm thinking about just ordering ready made buttons from my supplier but I'm afraid they will do the same thing.

Thanx

Steve
Always remember:  Where ever you go,  there you are.

Exotic Leather

Ask the guys at www.acwork.net they specialize in making covered buttons, and could have answers for you.

sofadoc

February 24, 2011, 03:41:10 pm #2 Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:27:50 pm by sofadoc
This subject comes up here from time to time. If you don't press hard enough, the heads pop off. If you press too hard, the shell cuts through to the front.
Is it a fairly thick vinyl? If it's not too thick, you might put a thin piece of plain fabric behind it to get a tighter press.
I don't know about that acwork place that "leather" referenced, but I have sent buttons off before. Turns out they were being pressed by some zit-faced kid using the same press and molds that I have. You would probably get a better press if you moved up to 30's.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Rich

I've found two factors that could cause this. One, expanded vinyl being too thick. Solution, find another, thinner vinyl for the buttons. Another, the dies may be worn. Solution, new dies.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!