Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 09:19:15 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Ruined a perfectly good needle today

Started by JuneC, February 22, 2011, 04:27:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

It's fine actually, no swelling, just a red spot on the fingernail around the hole but it still doesn't hurt - at least when I don't put pressure on it.

Kyle, that sounds really painful!  I'm surprised the little guy could walk ok with that in there.  Funny how the body will expel foreign object.  I've had splinters come out by themselves months later.

Bobbin, actually I can't remember the last time I had a tetanus shot - probably when I was in my teens.  I really need to get one. 

Gene, it was a #18 and the tip of the needle deflected and I didn't have to pull really hard to get it out, so I don't think anything's terribly damaged - other than the fingernail.  Had it been a #22 diamond point, the outcome probably would be different. 

Grebo, that's just awful.  Sorry to hear about your friend.  But you're right, big things need to be left in place and removed by professionals in a hospital setting. 

BTW, gang, no action shots - though I have to admit, I considered it as I sat there.  I'll just take a pic of the "trophy" and post it later - that way you won't be too grossed out.

And you guys with the staplers... be more careful, will you  ::)

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

Now you got the silly finger out of the way.
HOW IS THE MACHINE  ;D

Saddleman

It hurts just reading about it!!! Glad it wasn't worse!!!!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Grebo on February 23, 2011, 07:32:30 am
Now you got the silly finger out of the way.
HOW IS THE MACHINE  ;D

LOL, right, that, poor, poor needle! 

Stop trying to slow you machine down by hand! 

Hope all is well, and your finger is not hurting.  I have customers who have many needle in finger stories, and happens quite often.  Most canvas or upholster machines are not going to slow down one bit for a finger.

JuneC

Yep, here's what my finger did to that $.50 needle...  (the thread used to be white) 

I'll be more careful - at least for a while.  I still don't quite know how it happened.   But happily the machine is just fine.

June

W. C. Fields

Mojo

It seems that monotonous tasks in trades can create these accidents.

I watched a guy nail his hand to the roof of a house using a pneumatic nailer. I also seen a guy nail his foot to a 2 x 4 using a Pneumatic framing nailer.

The worst injury I ever had was when I was out pheasant hunting and my shotgun misfired, hitting me in the calf. Painful was an understatement. They did shoot me up with morphine while they dug the pellets out of my leg. I was damn lucky I didn't do more damage then what I did.

Funny thing is they thought they got all the pellets out. A month or so later two surfaced and I popped them out myself.

I have hit my finger a couple times with the foot. I jerked my hand out so fast due to fright. It startled the hell out of me. :)

Keep an eye on the wound. If it starts looking infected get in and get it looked at. There are a lot of bad super bugs out there that can be hell to battle with antibiotics.

Chris

seamsperfect

That reminds me I had my sharp German scissors next to my foot and as I got up my foot kicked them in the fleshy part (like my earlier story) under my thumb.  The good thing was it did not actually go into the flesh but ran between the skin and the muscle a good 2.5".  Fun sewing that day, better than cutting out materials.
Kevin

SHHR

does anyone else notice that when something like this happens the humidity and temperature in the room suddenly goes way up?
Kyle

Mike8560

June did your finger go over the foot and under the needle or under the foot? My finger dose t fit under the foot it could get caught from the neee over the foot.

Grebo

Quote from: SHHR on February 24, 2011, 11:19:06 am
does anyone else notice that when something like this happens the humidity and temperature in the room suddenly goes way up?
Kyle

Yes   ;D

baileyuph

Gosh June, good to see you are coming back, been reluctant to say anything because when things are going for the better, best not to wqke the baby.

Don't push it, BTW, took your advice.  There are two screw drivers at each machine and the screws have been backed off to half tight.  ;)

Your spirits are encouraging,

Doyle

JuneC

Mike, it went under the foot.  You'd be surprised how flat that presser foot can make your finger when you're running along  :o  Don't assume it won't fit.  It was probably the pinch that hurt the most.  All's healing well and I can again type fast with it without any pain.  I just have to keep a bandaid on it till the ripped nail's grown out. 

June

W. C. Fields

bobbin

I think you ought to frame the needle and the thread and keep it on your desk.   ;)

(gonna treat yourself to a needle guard or do you think you've "accident-proofed" yourself sufficiently?)

Tejas

My apologies for resurrecting an old thread, and moreover I'll no doubt prove my status as a tyro sewer and log-time lurker. Since I got a servo motor from Gregg, I'm not quite so terrified of sewing-up my finger. However, the other day I noticed the mention of a finger guard, and upon further searching found this link.

http://www.universalsewing.com/tek9.asp?pg=search&mode=results&searchby=Products&srch=&usssearchby=header&usscriteria=520.1
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

gene

That looks like something the surgeon would screw to your finger after you put stitches through the finger bone.

I have a guard on my standard presser foot only because I have never taken the time to take it off. I think someone on this site said that if you are so tired to be sewing safely, you should not be sewing.

Thanks for the link.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!