Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:21:25 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

1996 GMC Z71 Seat Question??? HELP!

Started by hdflame, February 20, 2011, 08:23:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hdflame

My drivers side seat on my truck will not stay latched back in the normal seating position.  The release handle on the side still feels springy, like it's working properly, but it just springs forward ALL THE TIME!

When I get in the truck, I have to put something behind the seat to keep it from laying all the way back flat when I lean back on it.  Basically it just moves freely back and forth, but the spring holds it in the forward position until I lean back on it!

Anyone have any ideas on what to look for to fix it?  I was hoping not to take it completely out, but I may have no choice if you guys can't give  me some ideas.

BTW, it's bucket seats with a flip down armrest on the right side.  Just the standard seat.
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

SHHR

Bobby, I'm not familiar with that seat, but is there a plastic cover hiding the hinge and reclining mechanism? Or is it hidden under the upholstery? Either way if you can get access to see it, you'll probably be able to see whats going on in there. Like you said everything is spring loaded, but I think there is a liitle catch or pawl that grabs various locations on the hinge to lock the seat in a certain place. It sounds like that piece may be sticking or broke off. If it's just sticking you can probably get it back in place and give dose of white grease to lube it up. If the hinge is removable from the seat frame tou can take it off and do the work at a bench, just examine everything carefully first so you don't accidently unload the coiled spring in there when removing. They're hard to reload and even harder on fingers when coming unwound!
Kyle

baileyuph

Yes, to what has been said.  Check to determine why the recliner device is not going into the cog.  It could be corrosion, debris, or a spring or?

You might end up visiting a salvage yard.  I have run into this before, but not often.  Those systems can get bent and become disfunctional.  This has been my experience on other seats, however.

Doyle