Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 09:17:22 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What kind of needle and thread for doing steering wheels and auto upholstery?

Started by Rockworthy, February 18, 2011, 03:58:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockworthy

No matter which fabric store I go to, none of them have the right kind of thread I want:  I want that nice, thick thread that stands out visually.  That kind of thread you see on the exposed stitching and seams in fancy automobiles.  The leather working shop in town didn't even have it.  All they had was this grimey, dirty, heavily waxed thread that looked like crap.  I like it when you can actually see the twists in the thread.  I believe it's called "top stitch" thread.  I'm only doing hand stitching right now, no machine.  Anyone know a good place to get it or what type is best?

Also, to those of you out there who have hand stitched upholstery a lot, what kind of needles do I want?  I have some needles but they're kind of small, only about 2" long so they're kinda hard to handle.  It looks like the needles people are using on YouTube are much bigger and longer than mine. (Do I have needle envy?)  I'll bet the ones designed for hand stitching leather have that nice 3-sided point...  Can someone recommend a brand they like?

SHHR

For your thread #138 will stand out great, but can be difficult to find in colors. #92 poly stands out decent and is easier to get the colors you may want. Check out the suppliers on this site for the thread. You can get needles in all sizes and shapes depending on your preference and the job your doing. What I do on things like you're talking about such as steering wheels is to hit the craft dept at wal mart and pick up some curved quilting needles in a pack of usually three or four. for me they're perfect size to work around a wheel or shift knob.

JuneC

Use polyester.  Avoid nylon for auto/marine use - it doesn't hold up to sun.  This link is for size 138.  Size 207 is a little heavier.

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TTE&Category_Code=polyester-thread-size-138

Check out the Tandy leather website for needles and other leatherworking accessories.

June

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Rockworthy

Quote from: JuneC on February 18, 2011, 06:41:55 am
Use polyester.  Avoid nylon for auto/marine use - it doesn't hold up to sun.  This link is for size 138.  Size 207 is a little heavier.

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TTE&Category_Code=polyester-thread-size-138

Check out the Tandy leather website for needles and other leatherworking accessories.

June

Nice! Thank you so much that's just what I wanted to know.

fragged8

hiya

theres a guy on youtube who posted vids on steering wheel
covering and gear knobs etc.

Rich

Rockworthy

Quote from: fragged8 on February 18, 2011, 02:21:30 pm
hiya

theres a guy on youtube who posted vids on steering wheel
covering and gear knobs etc.

Rich

First of all, I love your guitar-monkey animated gif :) Also, do you have a link for that guy on youtube?  I've found many videos of this kind of thing on youtube, steering wheels included, but none of them are any good because they don't tell you what you need to know really.  Information on it always comes in fits and starts, bit by bit, and you have to watch a million videos to hope to find out that one piece of information you need to know.  As I've come to find out, when you go to actually make a nice steering wheel recovering, the nitty-gritty details are just not there.  Such as something so basic like, "hey, what type of needle and what type of thread is that and where do you buy them?"  If I made a video it would include things like that.  This is why I've become a member of this forum because forums are where I can ask specific questions that videos just never explain.

fragged8

hiya

the trouble with including the nuts and bolts information in a video it becomes a huge
video and then the maker is going to want money for it.

I don't do cars myself but this is the guy i was thinking of.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Cechaflo

he also has some vids on timing a machine
and adjusting the tensions.

Have a scroll through his stuff, i hope it is helpful.

Rich

Rockworthy

Quote from: fragged8 on February 19, 2011, 02:55:36 pm
hiya

the trouble with including the nuts and bolts information in a video it becomes a huge
video and then the maker is going to want money for it.

I don't do cars myself but this is the guy i was thinking of.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Cechaflo

he also has some vids on timing a machine
and adjusting the tensions.

Have a scroll through his stuff, i hope it is helpful.

Rich

Oh you mean good old Cechaflo!  Thanks I went rummaging around youtube some more and found him.  I agree his videos are the best of what I've been looking for so far.  I wonder how you pronounce that funny word "Cechaflo" and what it means?  That guy's amazing.  The force is strong with him.

seamsperfect

Quote from: Rockworthy on February 20, 2011, 01:33:07 am

Oh you mean good old Cechaflo!  Thanks I went rummaging around youtube some more and found him.  I agree his videos are the best of what I've been looking for so far.  I wonder how you pronounce that funny word "Cechaflo" and what it means?  That guy's amazing.  The force is strong with him.

I have talked to this guy via email about a Steering wheel tool he used to sell, he took it down as he was afraid someone would copy his design.  He is name is Cesar Chavez, seems nice.  He is actually a member here http://get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?action=profile;u=4670
Kevin

hdflame

Cesar is very nice.  I have talked with him via email several times and was actually the one who invited him to join this site.  He has not been very active, but I think he still reads on here.

The last time I talked to him, he had his steering wheel videos on hold.  He was wanting to produce some how to videos, but I think he may have run into money problems with production costs and marketing.

I really hope he is able to produce his videos.  I would definitely buy them!

I also received a link via email to take a look at his steering wheel holder.  It looked very nicely done. I didn't realize that he had taken it down.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)