Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:33:08 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

20's home breakfast nook - what to use?

Started by BStroh, February 13, 2011, 04:55:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BStroh

Hi - I have a home built in the 20s with a built-in breakfast nook.  The previous owner had the chairs covered in a fabric with a thin plastic coating, especially important for stain resistance at the kitchen table!  The curtains are the same fabric without the plastic coating.  Can I buy fabric that is already coated?  What stores or online vendors offer this?  If I find fabric that I like but it's not coated, can I get someone to coat it?  Thank you for your tips.

sofadoc

Do a search for fabric laminating.
Not all fabrics are good candidates for lamination.
Lightweight cottons work best.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

BStroh

Thank you.  Is a light-weight cotton durable enough for built-in seating?  The fabric that's now in place is upholstery fabric. 

sofadoc

When I say "Lightweight cottons", I'm really referring to upholstery weight.
The plus side is: You get a better choice of patterns by using laminated fabrics.
The down side is: Lamination can crack over time.
But hey, nothin' lasts forever.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

DIYdaredevil

Have you consider Oilcloth?  It has a vinyl clothing that doesn't really wear off or delaminate and some stores carry matching and/or coordinating prints for curtains.  Often comes in "retro" prints which would be cool in an "older/traditional" style breakfast nook.  You have a better chance of oilcloth in fashion fabric stores.  The "amy bulter" brand use to carry a variety, don't know if they still do.