Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 03:50:35 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

tying springs of couch

Started by colleenf2, February 12, 2011, 05:18:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

colleenf2

I have an old spring couch that needs some attention to the springs.  I have removed the old webbing and am now tying the rows of springs.  My question is after tying I will replace the webbing very tight to push the bottom of the springs even with the frame of the couch, is this correct?  Before taking this couch apart if you sat on it it sunk very low and was difficult to get out of.  I love this couch so I hope there is a solution to this problem.
Thanks in advance.

MinUph

Your doing this back wards.
  Install the webbing with a webbing stretcher first then place the springs on it attaching them with either Klinchit fasteners or stitch them on then tie them.
  There is no way to know the height of the springs unless they are on the webbing first.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Ditto what Paul said.
How did you manage to tie the springs first, with them dangling loose?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Colleen,
Before taking the spring assembly apart, it might be of benefit, later, if you take pictures of this area of the couch;  pictures before you start and of the layer removeal process.  There are a number of details to this phase of the rebuild and for a first time experience, these details need to be captured, studied.  Get some books and find spring bases like yours, it could turn out valuable for you.  Spring sizes, tied spring height, fox edging rebuild, spring placement, spring edge wire buildup, plus padding build up are suggestions of the details you are about to encounter.  Good records (with photos) of everything you take off will be beneficial in the restoration process.  

Another option might be, up to you, contract a well experienced shop to do the webbing, spring up, tying and all.  This would, in general, leave the fabric sewing and installation for you to do.  There are some specialized tools and supplies in a task like this to do the job professionally.

Just an idea.  This could help someone without the special tools and experience.

Have fun but travel carefully, sounds like you have a piece of old world quality and class.  

Doyle

sofadoc

Maybe we misunderstood. Are you trying to re-tie, and re-web WITHOUT removing the upholstery fabric?
If so, there is no definitively correct way to do that.
If you've already re-tied the springs, then just web it as tightly as possible, and attach the springs to the webbing. Assumming you don't have a Klinch-it fastener, you'll have to lace the springs to the webbing.
You won't achieve ideal results doing it this way, but it might be serviceable.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

colleenf2

Thank you all for your  recommendations. 
I have striped the couch down to its frame so now I will try to attach the springs as suggested.  I do have many upholstry books and training videos that I have bought from this website over the past several years. 

thanks again for your valuable information

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on February 12, 2011, 09:36:55 am
Maybe we misunderstood. Are you trying to re-tie, and re-web WITHOUT removing the upholstery fabric?
If so, there is no definitively correct way to do that.

Every now and then a customer will ask if I can just fix the webbing without retying the springs and taking the whole chair apart. Usually I'll tell them if the webbing is rotten then the spring twine is usually rotten also. I'll then demonstrate (with their permission)  by reaching up under and yanking on a string or two to show how easy they break. On a "RARE" occasion the twine is still good. In this case I'll take all the old webbing off and 4 way tie it just like you would on the top of the springs. Then web over that. Of course I give no guarantees when I do it this way and most people are happy to save the money.

Now you can all say, SO YOUR THE GUY
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html