Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 08:18:39 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What's the plastic strip used on cushion pulls for marine seats?

Started by JuneC, February 05, 2011, 08:50:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Formula uses it as a tack strip on the cushion pulls.  1/2" wide, probably 60 ga, sewn to vinyl/fabric pulls and used to staple through on the interior of their seats.  It has some serious advantages.  a) if sewn to the pull at a consistent depth, it ensures that there are not high/low points.  On some seats, I end up pulling out half the staples I put in just to get the pull depth correct.  b) staples don't go right through it and c) it's heavy enough that you get a consistent pull depth without having to drive a staple every 1/4 inch.  Anyone know what it is and where to get it?

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Peppy

I don't know what that stuff is exactly, but I've used strips I've cut from hdpe sheets that we have. The problem I have at the shop is that the sewers aren't the upholsterers and so don't put it in the right place. Or you find you need another 1/2" pull cause it's old foam or whatever and then it's in the way.

I've gone away from trying to get it to work and now make stretchers out of the heaviest stuff we've got samson/herculite. It has so little ply that it wants to lay flat and pull straight. I don't draw lines on the stretchers/stays anymore. I tack the front at the right depth, then pull away from that tack and tack the other end at the right depth. The samson has the power to bridge the gap kind of, and very few staples between are needed.   
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Grebo

JuneC

Next time I work on one, I'll take pics of the seat internals.  Formula goes one step beyond what I've seen before.  In addition to the 1/2" plastic strip, the starboard seat base has a 1/2" wide routed shallow depression that holds the strip.  Never mind that it'll never be felt when sitting, but it makes the depth and placement of the pull absolutely fool proof. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields