Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 04:31:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

EX Florida boat...

Started by Grebo, February 04, 2011, 07:37:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

February 04, 2011, 07:37:57 am Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 07:42:25 am by Grebo
Hi Guys & Gals,
I have a couple of small repairs & a restitch to do on an EX Florida boat  ???
It's a Bayliner 325  2006. It has a whole cockpit enclosure, the 'bimini' & forward roof section are made out of some material I have never seem before. It's a real soft fabric, I guess some kind of canvas ::)  all the edges have been overlocked in black thread & the colour is like a midblue pinstripe ( not the same as sunbrellas) I have nothing to patch with, so I guess it's going to be the nearest plain blue I can fined.
No zips in any of the pole pockets ( I am getting the owner to remove it  :P )
The side 'curtains' look like they are edged in your herculite & bound.
He's asking about retro fittings some smilies in the screen section, but I am not sure about doing that.
He also asked if I could reproof it as the whole thing leaks.

Suzi

JuneC

Probably the former (Florida) owner went to the local fabric shop and bought "Sunbrella" fabric and did it him/her self.  Except it's probably Sunbrella furniture fabric or some other outdoor patio cushion covering.  Bayliner OEM uses Sunbrella. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

scarab29

Did a blowboat a few years back. Customer picked out the color , my favorite"captain navy" sunbrella. Had the job like half sewn but he wanted it put up as I finished a piece . After installing the dodger and the boom cover , he called me the next day and asked if I could get the other "soft" sunbrella like his old cover. Ha. Sorry for the hijack but you reminded me if this guy.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

fragged8

Kayo do a mini pinstripe like the sunbrella Suzi.

ask them and they'll send a larger sample to you.

Grebo

This is the stuff..  ???

I think June's probably right  ::) It's heavier than the sunbrella cushion that I usually get, but I guess they do other weights.
It's not really a pin stripe Rich but I don't know what else to call it  :-[

Grebo

:o I found it.
Recacril, S.A.Recasens... R-135 Ocean / Ocean cruise.. Identical  ???  Made in Spain.. ::)

fragged8

well thats pretty handy seeing as you live there hehe

I've seen that fabric before, wouldn't have known what it is though.

Rich

reet

Hello Grebo, living onboard in Malaysia and in need of new awnings in near future. Very interested in Recacril but would like to import material direct from Spain to cut back on hefty shipping costs from US or Australia...pretty sure other yachties here would be interested too.
I have looked for the manufacturer online but not getting anywhere. As you are on the spot, so to speak, do you have any suggestions or links [in English] how I can make contact? Thank you. Reet

Mike8560

Ya I was thinking like June. Striped. Soft  sound like a furniture fabric  and a homeowner job.
Improper nonmatching binding.  Don't take this as a representation on Florida canvas shops. Lol
I hate it whensombody call about patching or sewing a top and they bring it to me on the frames even after I tell them no frames. They say oh I didn't know how to get it  off

fragged8

hey Reet, i have a small shop going in the Uk if you need
some fabrics, threads or fittings etc

pm me
rich

Grebo

Quote from: reet on June 25, 2011, 07:21:32 pm
Hello Grebo, living onboard in Malaysia and in need of new awnings in near future. Very interested in Recacril but would like to import material direct from Spain to cut back on hefty shipping costs from US or Australia...pretty sure other yachties here would be interested too.
I have looked for the manufacturer online but not getting anywhere. As you are on the spot, so to speak, do you have any suggestions or links [in English] how I can make contact? Thank you. Reet

Hi Reet,
The English bit is a problem, I have a couple of links in Spanish, either use google chrome or some other translator if you need it. Commercial Ruperez has an English speaker so if you email them put attention Anna.
http://www.ruperez-nautica.com/
They are in Barcelona.   
My nearest agent, does not export, it's just drive in & pick it up.
I would suggest you try finding a local sunblind awning manufacturer, chances are they will have something decent you can use.
Good luck.

Suzi

fragged8

Malaysia are a big manufacturer of sewing machines
they must make fabrics too .. ?