Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:00:16 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

started auto upholstery part time

Started by stumpy1972uk1, January 29, 2011, 04:56:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hdflame

Quote from: Peppy on February 26, 2011, 05:24:11 pm
Really looks great! I'd be more than happy making any of those!

I hear what your saying with the heat gun. I used to view it as cheating, not sure why. Now I use it any time I'm feeling a little lazy. Same with thin plastic over the foam. A very helpfull tool to get everything tight and looking good. Heat guns won't make miracles happen, but they sure make it easier. I was sold on my steamer till it broke, now I only have  a heat gun. I liked the steamer more since it was less likely to melt the vinyl and it had the bonus of 'poofing' up the foam. But hey, even a hot ray of sunlight helps.

I think any tool we can use to increase the look and quality of the finished product is fine and doesn't show a lack of ability, but rather that you're concerned more about putting out a top end finished product.

A heat gun will definitely NOT make chicken salad out of chicken $h*t, but it can help smooth out an unruly piece of vinyl.

I've seen old timers sew stuff up and never use a pin or staple or seam tape or anything to hold material in place while sewing.  I thought if you used any of that stuff it would become a crutch that you relied on. 

In another thread, I remember June saying she didn't mind using a staple gun, that it was just another tool to help get the desired results.  I thought, that makes sense, and ordered a staple gun.  Now, I don't always use the stapler, but when I need it to make the job easier, I don't hesitate to use it.  Same with the heat gun.

Looking at some of the work I've seen from other shops...they'd do good to use a stapler once in a while!  ::)

Stumpy, your work looks great!  I've seen shops that have been in business for a long time that doesn't put out the quality you're already doing.  Don't be scared to use whatever it takes to put out quality work, whether it's a steamer or stapler!

I think the more we sew, the easier it gets to achieve good results without using things like a heat gun, but when it's needed, I don't see that as not having done it right the first time. ;D

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

stumpy1972uk1

thanks mate , and theres me thinking im doing an `alright` job that could be improved on. ive done the metal working side of the classics and customs and rods , but this gives me so much more satisfaction when ive completed a seat. the guy picked up his grey seats tonight and fitted them into his van on my driveway he was that excited . lol. or as he said , totally stoked. lol. ade

ajlelectronics

Well I have to tell you that I find your workmanship depressing................. :'(

Because I have been playing at upholstery for a few years now, spending lots of money on materials and still turning out useless crap!

You seem to have picked it up quickly and are producing fantastic quality in less time. I suppose it should spur me on to practice more.

I am getting on reasonably well with the Scimitar seats I started. Took 3 attempts to get a good looking headrest made. Then whilst admiring it, realised that the napp runs upside down!
I have made a back and side section which so far are looking good. We will see once it is time to stitch them together though!

stumpy1972uk1

thanks for comments , im doing some porsche 944 seats at the moment in coffee cream vinyl , i will post up pics as soon as possible . ive found that the one item thats helped me the most is the 8` x 4` cutting table that ive incorporated my sewing machine into , gives me so much more space and support. ade

marko69

The post is a little old, but did you ever finish your 944 seats?  I'd like to see them.

mroy559

With the caliber of work inside the pictures you'd posted, I figured you'd probably recently been using some sort of heat marker. Grin You're doing some excellent be employed by part time period!

sunshine_n_pc

A couple months back I watched a "how they do it" show on TV focused on how they make high end car seats.  I don't remember which manufacturer it was but it was one like Mercedes or Porsche....they showed how they upholstered the seats wwhich included - in one of the final steps - running it through a heat machine - so ain't no cheating going on - even the big guys use heat to smooth the wrinkles.