Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 15, 2024, 01:30:03 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need you help with identifying a clear marine vinyl...

Started by Pegasus2007, January 29, 2011, 02:42:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pegasus2007

Hi guys!  I haven't been on here in quite a while.  I am in the middle of a quote for a customer who had his clear vinyl enclosure panels made in 1990.  He now wants the glass replaced.  When I mentioned that I use Strataglass exclusively, he said "Oh no.  I don't want Strataglass.  I want the good stuff.  I don't care is I have to pay a little more.  That's what I have on here now but I can't remember the name of it."  His existing glass looks a lot like Strataglass to me.  Appears to be 40 gauge.  He has some roll-up u-zip windows so it has to be this type of product.  Please help.  What could he be talking about?  I must admit that I've been stranded in Strataglass land so long that I haven't done much research into alternatives.  I did a quick check online and found Verilon and Achilles but it being Saturday, I couldn't talk to any salesperson.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Russell at Canvas, Etc. in Key Largo.

Mike8560

January 29, 2011, 03:56:15 pm #1 Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 04:01:48 pm by Mike8560
I'd show him samples if he can't name what he had
There's crystal clear 20/20 a product from strataglass it without the sctratch resistant coating
and Miame
mike   on here told us of a new sheet vinyl also called  O 'Sea from OSulivan
regalite
i'm sure there's more shire there is more  products also that the rest may think off off the top
of there heads.

You could alwaysgive him a cheaper  roll goods and charge him morE
personally I think strataglass is the top of the line I havnt heard any
ore about the cracking issue.  
I just did a rear window o. The bridge of a aftcabin over the hardtop on the bridge there was no way it was strat as the window was well over  the. 111"

JuneC

Ask him if it was Eisenglass.  If he says yes, then you know he doesn't have a clue.  I've had this argument with customers on many occasions.  Eisenglass is what they want - except it hasn't been made for probably 40 years or more.  Like using the term "Xerox" instead of "photocopier", Eisenglass has come to mean any clear, flexible, vinyl commonly used for boat enclosures and clear windows in the back of convertible cars.  It is no longer a brand name.  Strataglass is top of the line.  Crystal Clear is good, but without the scratch protection, is not what most people really want.  O'Sea looks to be as good, but they have yet to establish a reputation.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

baileyuph

Quote[Ask him if it was Eisenglass.  If he says yes, then you know he doesn't have a clue
/quote]

Good one! ;D

Doyle

scarab29

Talked with the folks @ o'sea at the ifai show. Looks like a great product. Not sure if there is any cost difference but looks to give you an alternative to strata. If he knows of a better product let him spec it then he can just blame himself. 
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Peppy

Thanks June! Thats pretty much what I thought. We get some older guys who ask for eisenglass. I figured it was some defunct brand name. 95% of our jobs we use roll vinyl and have only been having demand for strata glass the last couple of years. We've been trying out crystal clear since it's cheaper. Sure does scratch easy though. Ever hear of crystal flex? Our suplier offers it, anyone know what it's about?
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mike8560

When I was a teen my Mom had a wood stove a d the door had a fireproof window. The paperwork said it was esenglass hard stuff it was.

Pegasus2007

Thanks for all of the replies!  Just finally had a chance to get back on her.  I did ask him if it was eisenglass he was thinking of and he said no.  I told him "If you wake up in the middle of the night and remember it, call me!"  I went ahead and finished the quote using the Strataglass information.  That's all we use by the way.  No Crystal Clear 20/20 (Scratches too easily), no roll glass (too cheap looking).  We've gotton away with this up until now.  I talked to him this morning and he still hadn't thought of the name.  I'm guessing when I explain to him that in our opinion, Strataglass is the best thing out there right now for his application, he'll go with it.  I did a job recently that had to have an EZ2CY front center window.  We took it to a place in Miami and had them replace the glass in that one panel for us (Can't sew it).  That crap is expensive!  It did look great on the boat though.

rustyeod

One difference between O sea and Strata is (i beleive) O sea is offering a waranty and strata doesnt

stew-cheryl

I've used o'sea, and don't care for it. It's very soft hand, if your putting up
A panel and it folds over it'll leave a mark that won't come out.
I use a lot of pressed/ polished glass from Manart "Aqua view".
The price is right

Mike8560

Good to k ow stew.
I've learned not to lay windows on top of others in the van taking them to the boat to install inthe sun they will stick to one another and makes marks when tou pull rhe
apart. I don't remember
er if it was strataglass or nor must have been cause that's pretty mu h all i use that or 20 20

JuneC

Thanks for that info, Stew.  Clear vinyl is hard enough to keep good-looking during fabrication and installation without it having inherent problems.  I did one enclosure last year in Crystal Clear because the customer insisted on it (against my advice) and it was a nightmare to work with because I'm so used to Strataglass with it's protective film.  It had several minor scratches after I installed it that I never would have accepted but he didn't mind. 

I pride myself on installing scratch-free enclosures.  What happens after that is up to the customer.  I have about 8 or 10 old bed sheets I layer and wrap panels with in the shop as well as when transporting and handling on board.  I don't let the glass touch anything.  Biggest impediment to keeping it scratch free is having to roll up edges to go under the arm of the sewing machine when sewing in smileys.  I've been thinking of lining the bed and underside of the arm with felt or cotton flannel to avoid that particular problem.  Anyone have a solution that might be better?  I'd prefer something removable since the drag when sewing regular canvas would be a pain.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

stew-cheryl

We have track on the wall in the shop, when a panel is finished it's slid into the track to hang. When we take them to the job site, they are wrapped in sheets and laid flat in the van in the order they go up.
It's been a while since I was on here, I forgot how much fun it was!

stew-cheryl

We also buff glass for customers, if there was a mishap and a panel gets scratched, we can buff out the scratch and save that panel.
June, I just use duct tape to cover sharp points. Clean the oil off with alcohol and stick a piece on, lasts pretty long

Mike8560

June that's a good idea a out the felt and rolli g the window perhas a wrap with Velcro could be made to wrap the arn and machine. What do you do about the window iding on the table ?