Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 20, 2024, 06:14:54 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Looking for hands on machine instruction

Started by edp, January 22, 2011, 12:12:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

edp

Does anyone know of an instructor / professional that teaches as a side line or full time for that matter in the Seattle area? Its awfully hard to find someone for industrial sewing instruction.

I have a Highlead walking foot machine & I'd like to be a little better then rank amateur - suggestions??

Thanks, Evan

bobbin

Evan, we all started the same way.  We sat in front of a machine and we "went for it". 

Get yourself a bunch of scrap fabric in a variety of weights.  Since you mentioned you have a walking foot machine look for upholstery weight fabrics, sunbrella, etc..  Get two spools (one for the machine, one for winding bobbins) of whatever weight thread you think you'll be using and go for it.

Working with different fabrics will help you gain a "feel" for what you need to tweak with respect to tension adjustments or stitch length.  You basically need "road time" and you need to give yourself permission to screw it up totally and then figure it out for yourself.   Draw lines on fabric and learn to follow them without a lot of stopping and starting.  Learn to control the speed of your machine, perfecting the take off and stop. 

I used to train stitchers to use high speed equipment.  Most of them had never sewn before in their lives. I would give them the basics and remain nearby, but basically you will figure it out for yourself just the way they did.  Really. 

My favorite pointers:
learn about tension adjustments (not hard but requires thought and practice)!
never be unwilling to change needle size and use different presser feet.
keep your fingers on top of the work and your thumbs below.
learn to sit back from the machine and feed the work down under the needle in long, easy runs.

scottymc

Another way is to take the thread off the machine, get some news paper and sew threw a couple of sheets thick of that, follow the lines there's heaps to follow, learn how to control the speed and how to use the brake. You can use your hand on the wheel to help slow it down when your going slowly, also to get it going if you trying to engage it gently. My first week on the job as a 16 year old was doing that with no thread to get tangled, cept when I was sweeping floors or collecting  smoko from the canteen.
Then the next step for me was pretty much what Bobbin suggested. 

crammage

There are also a number of Youtube videos available that show various techniques of sewing.  That's where I go first when I'm trying to figure out a problem with my sewing methods.

Half-Fast

Welcome aboard Evan ! !

Look on the "Suppliers" tab, there is a company called Coachtrim....nowhere near close to you, and a bit pricey for a day's instruction (plus airfare, plus hotel, plus taxi.....)

Bobbin's method is probably best. Just jump on it!!!  Scotty had a great idea as well with removing the needle thread and practice punching straight lines in paper.

My only formal sewing instruction was 35 years ago when some genius in our school admin thought it would be a great idea to take the guys from shop class, and the gals from home ec, and switch us for a month.  Home ec teacher almost had a stroke when 25 hillbilly kids got turned loose on her machines.... :P

Jeff

bobbin

Lucky you, Jeff!  I loathed "Home Economics" but was required to take it in Jr. High.  I wanted to take Wood Shop and then Metal Shop but was told, "girls take Home. Ec., boys take Wood and Metal shop"!  NO kidding and I'm definitely "dating" myself.  I swore I'd never sew again after sitting through Mrs. Sproul's sewing class.  Lol. 

But! I did learn how to set a food budget and learn how to plan and prepare nutritious meals within a fixed budget.  We were required to use the local grocery store's flyers to plan the weekly meals.  I also learned how to balance a checkbook in Home Economics.  A lot has changed in the years hence, I see!

I wonder what ever became of Mrs. Sproul? she was basically a drag (Mum was considerably more capable with a sewing machine and that's where I learned the basics), but I bet she'd get a kick out of knowing that one of her students now makes her living with a sewing machine. 

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Can you be more specific?  Are you looking to become a trained sewing machine mechanic, or learn how to use your machine do do auto trim, boat canvas, or something else? 

fragged8

hiya

bring yourself over to the UK and i'll give you some lessons heheh
isn't Iversons in Seattle ? the guys who make the best dodgers

Rich

SteveMoke

I used the 'just go for it' method ... although I was lucky enough to have someone help me set the machine up to handle the material I'm using. I then sat down with a load of 2" strips I'd cut and joined them together, bought a few attachments and cracked on again (Folders, binders, silicone foot etc..)

Intension is working on the automotive side manufacturing 4 different styles of a fairly basic hood for one model of vehicle.

Steve

(Been lurking and learning on this forum for a while now, the knowledge I am gaining is outstanding, thanks folks!)

edp

January 23, 2011, 12:48:58 pm #9 Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:59:40 pm by edp
Hi all, Wow! thanks for all the response, its always amazing when landing on a forum as a complete newb  and one gets great & helpful responses. You guys so far are better then the lame fabric stores around here that dont seem like they want to waste any time on me whatsoever. I couldn't even get one to set aside a 1oz. spool of poly thread so my wife could pick t up at the counter w/o having to look for something she had no idea what it was "$10 minimum" they said. Anyways appreciate it.

So my story is this, wanted to restore a car, needed an interior, asked around & was told anywhere from 4 - 8K complete - decided for that kind of money I could learn to sew. Bought a brand new Highlead walking foot machine 2nd hand (guy used it once) & started in. The biggest issues have been figuring out setup - tension, threading, needle position - that was a big one as it was braking thread all the time until I turned it around. I've been playing with a bunch of vinyl & heavy canvas trying to sew straight lines, etc....

Heres the car, I've done everything else on it - all body & paint, welding, mechanical, etc.... (so why not tackle upholstery huh ::)) & I'm at the point of needing to install the headliner prior to the windshields ft. & rear so I started back in on the sewing.

73 Datsun 1200 coupe

so here's my attempt at my headliner, I bought my material from a place called PerfectFit, perf off white headliner vinyl & then sewed the bow tab loops into it. I have to admit I feel pretty good about it as I've sew nothing except maybe hemmed a pair of pants once...
headliner ft. & backside...

I'm sure the seats will be more challenging but this is a good confidence builder. As I'd never done any body & paint either & its come out astoundingly well I figured this'll be a breeze!  ;D ;D

can anyone tell me if there's a difference between vinyl's I can buy at a place like Joanne's vs. a Perfectfit - specifically UV ratings & that type of thing? And fabric's as well - I'd think one would want that for seats & anything thats getting direct sun. I know products like Sunbrella are UV but thats not good car interior & I'd like to do a blend of fabric inserts  & vinyl sides for the seating.

Thanks a lot all, appreciate the help!

evan

BTW - how do you post big pic's in the post & more then 2 or is it not allowed? these are hosted off site so it shouldn't be a big deal, anyone know?

scottymc

slodat

Awesome! I have a '69 Datsun 521 chopped top custom truck project. It's a long work in progress. I'm in Vancouver, WA. I use Perfect Fit for my materials. They are local and very good to deal with. The 1200 looks good! Do you have a build thread anywhere?

bobbin

I would be leery of purchasing vinyls for an automotive interior or marine work from a place like JoAnn's.  It's not that the vinyl may not be good quality, but their focus is on home decorating and the price points of the their vinyls would lead me to believe that it's not the quality you would want in automotive or marine work.  But, I may be wrong on that count, too! 

Did your new to you machine come with an operator's manual and a complete parts book?  If not I urge you to acquire them, even if you have to "split some leather" to accomplish it!  Nothing is more useful, esp. for someone who is new to sewing machines.  Much of it may be way over your head right now, but if you haul it out periodically and look it over you'll be amazed at how much you will learn.  Most operator's manuals have a trouble shooting section that is very useful.  (I've used the manual for my Juki 1541 a good deal in the past few weeks!).  Never be afraid to spend money on things like different size needles, different thread weights, and esp., different presser feet; this is important when you are faced with something like inserting welting between different pcs. of the seats.  There are some amazing auto trimmers on this site and they'll know all the hot tips. 

I think the other important thing to remind yourself of frequently is that it's going to take you longer to do certain sewing operations than it would take someone who does it every day.  So what? the point of the exercise is to learn a new skill and that takes time and practice.  Make sure you buy some extra vinyl so that you have enough to recut something that isn't coming out the way you want it to.  It happens... to everyone. 

Mojo

Evan:

That is exactly how I started sewing. I bought a classic car and needed the interior done. I got quotes for $ 6,000, 8,000 and 10,000 grand. That was for a headliner, four door panels and two  bench seats. I said screw it and bought a commercial machine.

I learned sewing by going to Joann's and buying a bunch of scrap material. I also bought several books and read them and then started sewing seams. I started out with simple fell seams and then progressed to french seams. I looked around and started making covers and bags and pouches for everything. Every time I had a problem I came on here and asked questions and the gang here would all jump in and help me.

I spent tons of hours at the machine sewing. By making these simple bags, covers and pouches I learned several important things - 1.) I learned how to pattern 2.) I learned how to cut 3.) I learned how to measure 4.) I learned how to sew 5.) I learned how to install zippers and velcro closures 6.) and more importantly I learned my machine.

There is nothing more important then seat time. Get your butt into the chair and sew and keep sewing. Sew everything you can get your hands on. :)

If you have problems, jump on here and ask questions. Chances are someone is going to have a solution. If you have issues with your machine then come on here and ask about them and Greg can help you as he sells and repairs Highleads. We also have a couple members who own them.

Best of luck. Hope everything goes according to plan for you.

Chris

edp

Quote from: scottymc on January 23, 2011, 01:14:54 pm
Is that an old Datsun 120Y?

Hi scotty - no its a Datsun 110, predecessor to the 120Y

slodat - asked for a build thread   -    http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=46137&forum=9

Bobbin - I was wondering about the vinyl @ places like Joanne's - I wasn't planning on using it unless they could tell me it was UV rated or appropriate for auto, it just seemed like nice stuff but both Perfect Fit & Rex Pegg said I could come & buy whatever I needed so I'll probably make trips to there.

this whole car process has been a trial & error project so making mistakes is OK as long as I correct them & recognize them as mistakes in the first place. I dont mind spending seat time sewing in fact its a lot cleaner them body work!

One thing I learned is running the foot control in bare feet is much better then with shoes on, I seem to have greater control of the take off speeds which made a huge difference.

thanks all!