Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 10:26:43 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

pulling the cover down to the foam

Started by keithm, January 21, 2011, 08:08:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

keithm

I'm recovering a boat seat I used the old cover ripped it and used the pieces for the new pattern. The old seat had some buttons pulled thru it for decoration but it also pulled the cover down to the foam.

I have sewn the new cover up with a totally different design and I'm not using the buttons.  I'd like to keep the surface smooth and yet pull it down to the cushion.  How is this done in bucket seats?  I was sure this might have been covered but was unable to locate anything.

Thanks

Peppy

One of many ways. Shaped borders (aka boxing) and a shaped piece of wood that you staple to. Or stretchers (listings, stays), that pass through the foam and anchor to the wood of the seat. Or glue the vinyl onto the foam. Or buttons, tied through the vinyl, foam and wood (like you say). Or if it's like car seats, velcro embeded in the foam and the cover velcros to that. Or metal rods sewn in little sleeves....it goes on and on....

Sounds to me like your problem is that you used the old pattern to come up with a 'totally different design'. Everything they did before was done for a reason, and if you want to change the way they did something you'll need to start fresh. IMO. Sucks you say it's already sewn. Makes it hard for you.

All that said, Welcome to the forum! Tell us a bit about yourself! You'll find everyone here very friendly and knowledgeable and stuff.

Cheers!
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

scottymc

Quote from: Peppy on January 21, 2011, 08:57:15 pm
Everything they did before was done for a reason,

Cheers!
Dunno how many times I've pulled something apart and done something different from the original only to realize later that it has to be done that way, take apart start again

stitcher_guy

Glue.

Like Peppy said, when I need to make contour fit in a bucketed seat, shape the boxing to reflect what you want to happen. This helps around the edges, and especially if the foam is flat, but follows a curved seat. On many seats, you'll still run into trampolining, at which time I glue the vinyl down in the center.

Mike8560

TheQTVR foam may not be cut or shaped to fit the ne design now also.