Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 07:51:32 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Not my style

Started by sofadoc, January 20, 2011, 03:01:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I got in some new sample books the other day from one of my suppliers.
Today, the sales rep called to ask how I liked them.
Here's how the conversation went:
Sales rep (in her perkiest voice): "Don't you just lov-v-v-v-ve them? Aren't they just wonderful?"
Me: "Well, since the MSRP's are over $50yd, I doubt that I will ever sell any of them."
Sales rep (sounding deflated): "Oh". Long pause........"Hey, I've got an idea!" (perkiness now fully restored) "You could sell the fabrics at YOUR cost!!!" 
Me: "Well, I can see how that would be "just peachy" for YOU, and MY CUSTOMERS, but how exactly does that strategy benefit ole' Dennis?"
She quickly changed the subject, thanked me for my orders, and wished me a "super-duper" year.
If I could be "fake perky", I could probably increase my sales by at least 30%. But the thought of doing that makes me wanna' barf.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

Hey that's a sucky idea you know

kodydog

I once had a fabric rep. walk into my shop and tell me if I didn't sell more fabric he would remove all his books. ??? He sugested I shouldn't accept COM's.  This same company used to only deal with upholsters. Now, with their prices in the $40 to $60 range their dealing more with decorators.

I'd like to sell the fabric for every job I do, but if I did I'd lose most of my business.
To keep the total cost down I tell the customer the outlet prices are a lot more affordable. I'd like to know if anyone refuses COM's and how they do it.

I guess I don't get it but it seems the fabric vendors could save a lot of money if they would list their new books on their web site so we could look at the samples and check out the prices before they send them to us.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

What does COM stand for?

I have  noticed that one of the bigger fabric retailers near me has changed their model considerably in the past year/two.  They used to have a large quantity of rolled goods on hand.  If you wanted 30 yds. of drapery fabric the chances were pretty good it would be on hand.  Now, they have huge sample boards in their store and have large samples tacked up with companion fabrics and trims neatly and attractively displayed alongside.  They have smaller swatches available for you to take home.   Anything you want must be ordered from their source.  It doesn't take very long but it still involves "a wait". 

Also, they carry a huge quantity of sample books, too.  It used to be that you could check them out and take them home to peruse them at your leisure.  No more.  What is happening is that local designers and retail customers are taking them home to dotheir "home work" and then they're going on line to find the fabrics at lower prices from retailers/suppliers who don't have the overhead of a large showroom.  The new policy is that their many sample books may no longer leave the store.  The sales clerk I spoke with the last time I was in told me that someone orders from them about once for every 25 times a sample book check is checked out! 

I am presently working on a slipcover for a chair for myself.  I fell in love with a fabric on one of their sample boards.  It was $80+/yd. (my project was in the 9yd. range) and I quickly contented myself with a roll of fabric I've had on hand for several years now. 

I don't begrudge them a certain level of exclusivity at all.  But I plainly see that the handwriting is on the wall for brick and mortar retailers... their lovely historic building is decaying before my eyes and I wonder how much longer they will be able to hang on given the present conditions and changes to their business model. 

crammage

I rarely have customers order fabric through me, unless it's vinyl for boat/snowmobile/truck seats.  We have a couple of warehouse outlets here in the Twin Cities area of MN that are really well supplied and at 7.50 per yard for most of their upholstery fabrics it's a good deal.

I too noticed that a lot of the retailers seem to be shrinking in their inventories over the last few years and going to more of a special order process.  But it isn't always quick, I had one customer who waited almost two months for 1 yard of fabric that she wanted pillows made out of, they were the last piece of her redesigned living room to be completed.     ;)

clay

Cheryl

COM >>  Customer's Own Material

I bet that "perky" salesgal was from Burch.   I heard the same spiel..   >:(
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on January 21, 2011, 03:26:44 am
What does COM stand for?

Customer's Own Material
It accounts for about 60-70% of my business. That number has actually been holding steady for nearly 20 years now. But if wholesalers continue to push retail prices up into the 50's and beyond, I suspect that my in-store fabric sales will disappear completely.
I had one sales rep who had a bad habit of "accidentally" leaving the wholesale prices in his books when he placed them in my store.
Once, he even showed me a price in the back of the book, and said "That's a GREAT price, isn't it?" I agreed that it was a very good price. Only problem was.... he held his hand over the words "Wholesale price".
He quickly hung the book up on my wall.
If I were selling a product that I truly believed in, I would have no problem being a perky salesman. But a GOOD salesman has to be all "perky positive" about his goods whether he believes it himself or not.
I charged more labor for COM jobs. But that means that I have to deal with the cheap crap that people find on their own.

bobbin

Thanks for the definition behind the abbreviation.  (I should have "gotten" that one). 

A few other decorating forums I've visited have voiced frustration with "up charges" when they supply their own fabric.  I am usually the lone voice that explains why they are charged more; patiently explaining that when there isn't quite enough fabric for a match we're the ones who have to figure out the solution (which requires more time).  And also, making money on materials is part of turning a profit and earning a living in the trades.  Some are still outraged, others are better educated and have a new appreciation for what goes into making a living in this trade.   

My dad always used to say, "no one loses money on 'time and materials'". 

mike802

January 21, 2011, 08:22:00 am #8 Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:24:50 am by mike802
COM is a large portion of my business, at least 95%.  My labor charge is reflective of this and any fabric sale I make is like a bonus.

I also do business with a fabric wholesaler who's phone reps are sickly sweet and perky and they always call me honey, it just turns me off.  If the phone reps cant be honest with their own personality how can I trust them be be honest with my business. 20 years ago the fabric reps would come out to my shop at least once a year and update my sample books, I only have one company who sends out a rep today.  I have to do my own updating, basically I am doing the reps job, my only pay is the hope of a sale.  

I also had a fabric rep threaten me with removing his books if I didn't sell more yardage, I told him fine, he could remove his books anytime he wanted, but then he wouldn't be making any sales from me now would he.  I have never pushed one supplier over another, I let the customer choose what he, or she likes, if my customer is happy with there fabric choice, they are more likely to be happy with the finished job, duh.

Quote"no one loses money on 'time and materials'".

This is so true, as long as the shop owner knows what labor rate must be charged to turn a profit.  Where I live my Mechanic charges 65.00  my Plumber charges 85.00  Carpenters charge between 50.00 and 75.00, If I tried to charge those kind of rates, I would have a lot of free time on my hands and I am the most expensive in my area.  I don't think that people do not appreciate a skilled upholster, I think there are just to many upholsters out there willing to work for peanuts.  Maybe they are afraid, or maybe they are retired and don't need to turn a profit, whatever the reason they hurt those of us who have family's to feed, mortgage etc.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

mike802

Bobbin:  If you don't mind my asking what is the address to the decorating forum you go to?  I would love to get some inside information on how these people think.  Maybe I could pop in and you would'nt be the lone voice anymore ;D
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Cheryl

I find that those who understand  business -- understand the COM issue..  and are fine with it.  Those looking for the cheapest way out are the ones who scream bloody murder.. be it a decorator or a customer off the street.
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

fragged8

perhaps everyone should call that supplier and suggest they
sell their fabric at cost and see how they like it .. ?

;D

Mike8560

Quote from: fragged8 on January 21, 2011, 11:29:05 am
perhaps everyone should call that supplier and suggest they
sell their fabric at cost and see how they like it .. ?

;D

i wish i could pay there cost

sofadoc

Quote from: mike802 on January 21, 2011, 08:22:00 am
I have never pushed one supplier over another, I let the customer choose what he, or she likes

I do push certain suppliers (the ones that have remained loyal to me get my loyalty in return).

Quote from: Cheryl on January 21, 2011, 06:00:53 am
I bet that "perky" salesgal was from Burch.
Actually, no. I haven't had a visit, or a new sample book from Burch in over 5 years.
There was a time when the Burch salesman visited monthly.
Greenhouse was the one with the perky salesgal.
They may just be blowin' smoke up my rear end, but they've told me that among the small "mom & pop" shops, I'm their #2 buyer in the nation (they probably tell EVERYONE that).
But I do buy a ton of fabric from them. I don't know how much longer, though, if retail prices keep going through the roof. 

scottymc

Sounds like you guys get screwed pretty badly by the fabric suppliers. I deal with a company called Warwicks, there big. they have showrooms in most states. They dont sell to the public, but customers can go to the showroom or there website and take swatches home and then order through you. They have the prices clearly marked in the showroom, at a 100% markup to what they sell it to me, so when the customer makes a choice I can do a deal for them. They gave me about 40 books for free and I can update them by meeting the rep at the showroom, that way I also meet the girls that run the place and there pretty tuned in and I just have to ring and they'll send some swatches of what they think I want. I'll only deal with them and I don't do com for all the reasons you guys hate it and if something goes wrong I know that Warwicks will send someone to the persons property to asses the problem, I explain this to the customer and 9 times out of ten there happy for me to supply the fabric.