Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 09:24:22 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

how to make a flame in an insert in truck seat(cloth)

Started by anita52, January 15, 2011, 04:00:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

anita52

I have a customer wanting a flame he has dawn sewn in the center insert(10") wide in the old chevy truck seat . Just did an applique in his dad's 55 chevy seat. I did the applique on top of the sew foam and use ziz-zag with small stitches around the outside. I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas on making the flames stand other than the applique techique. thanks guys for any help. And Hello to all my friends from long ago. It has been a lon time Good job hdflame glad you are doing good . Mike & June glad to see you re still going good to

coolchange

Heres an idea I had for the same situation but I never got to try it cause it was to involved for the customer.
Take the pattern to an embroidery shop that is well equiped. Scan the pattern and treat it as an applique, but inverse with the applique on the bottom. Trim your "app" and then embroider the pattern. I thought it would make a great insert with the embroidery looking like a striped graphic. I have a basic embroidery machine for fonts and stock filigree etc. but it wont do custom design so I never tried it. Post pics if you do it, I'd like to see it.

Mike8560

Hi Anita good to see you around also can't help on the flames you could
try ind stitching them alder cutting thebfles out of the seat and the flames in the color to be added but that would
be real hard espicialy the tipof the flames

JuneC

Hi Anita!  Happy to see you're still stiching!  No idea on the flames - never did any.  Maybe Bobby (Firefighters R Us and stitched-flame-happy scoundrel) will chime in. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

anita52

Here is pictures of the 1955 Chevy Interior that i did for this guys dad .

anita52

Cheryl

An interesting way to do them would be to use a quilting technique called Trapunto.  And there are many ways to accomplish this.

One way that comes to mind is to stitch your design into place with a backing underneath and then from the back,  carefully  stuff the design  through a small hole.
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

ncydmn

I have done a few inlays recently that I really like the looks of.  It is just like doing an appliqué only reversed.  I put the inlay color I wanted on the backside and stitched the design.  Then carefully cut very close to the stitching to remove the unwanted area.  If you want it padded just put it over scrim foam.  You can also trim the scrim from the backside right at the edge of the inlay to make it pop a little more.  Hope it helps, Roy.

http://roykeithclassics.com/programs/shop/showitem.cgi?1935_Ford_Coupe&1404

http://roykeithclassics.com/programs/shop/showitem.cgi?57_Chevy_HDTP&1345

http://roykeithclassics.com/programs/shop/showitem.cgi?1966_Mustang&1394

MinUph

Quote from: ncydmn on January 19, 2011, 06:14:01 pm
I have done a few inlays recently that I really like the looks of.  It is just like doing an appliqué only reversed.  I put the inlay color I wanted on the backside and stitched the design.  Then carefully cut very close to the stitching to remove the unwanted area.  If you want it padded just put it over scrim foam.  You can also trim the scrim from the backside right at the edge of the inlay to make it pop a little more.  Hope it helps, Roy.

Roy how to you trim the waist out cleanly? Do you use shears?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

ncydmn

Ya, I have a new set of smaller shears with a very sharp point that cuts very clean and close.  Almost to close if I am not careful. 

stitcher_guy

Vinyl or leather, Roy? I do a lot of the inlays, but it's always with vinyl and run into issues on occasion with the backing wanting to string.

ncydmn

These are vinyl.  The Ford V-8 was done with Partners leather matching vinyl.  The 57 Bel-air used the original replacement vinyl with the cloud pattern cloth for the inlay.  The interior was a Cars Inc. kit so I ordered extra material and finished the trunk to match.  The Mustang was the Partners again with blue gator leather laid behind. 

I know what you are referring to though especially with the Allante and soft touch vinyl's which have the fuzzy white back.  The strings can be very hard to deal with.  Then put a dark color on top of that and the edge will really show.  Roy

hdflame

Quote from: anita52 on January 15, 2011, 04:00:28 pm
I have a customer wanting a flame he has dawn sewn in the center insert(10") wide in the old chevy truck seat . Just did an applique in his dad's 55 chevy seat. I did the applique on top of the sew foam and use ziz-zag with small stitches around the outside. I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas on making the flames stand other than the applique techique. thanks guys for any help. And Hello to all my friends from long ago. It has been a lon time Good job hdflame glad you are doing good . Mike & June glad to see you re still going good to

First, let me say that even though my forum name has flame in it, I am in no way an expert! ;D

That being said, there are very good upholsterers on here that I would call experts that do appliqué different than I have and get very professional results.

I find it much harder to trim out the waste after sewing, than doing all the cutting and then stitching closely around the edges.  I have some pictures of one of the first flame jobs I did.  My first attempt I tried to trim after sewing and I got jagged cut lines/edges. 

I think Roy uses small scissors and either him or someone else uses a razor blade.  I haven't used a razor blade, but may give it a try.

What I did was cut out my design, then carefully glue it down with contact cement to keep it from moving while sewing.  After sewing, you can clean up the glue with something like Goo Be Gone or something similar.  Vinyl would be much easier than cloth.  I have never used this method on cloth and don't think it would work because of trying to clean the glue.

Here, I had glued down the design and just had the waste laying on top to help make sure it was aligned properly.  By only lightly gluing, I was able to pull off the waste before sewing.  The only reason the waste was there, was to help me with proper alignment.  You can see where I had removed one piece already.

This was after removing and sewing the first color.

Here's a close up of sewing first color.  I hadn't cleaned up any glue.  You can see the residue.

This shows after I sewed the second color.  You can see that I still need some practice here, but not too bad for my first attempt. 

Hope this helps some.  I know Loren is very good on appliqués.  He's very good on accurately sewing the edges.  Maybe he'll give some advice too.

Here's a picture I saved for inspiration.  I think it's one that Loren had posted.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

scottymc

Sorry, but I just can't help myself,  pour some petrol on the insert and light a match. :D 

Peppy

Quote from: scottymc on January 24, 2011, 12:34:53 pm
Sorry, but I just can't help myself,  pour some petrol on the insert and light a match. :D  

COVER IT WITH GAS AND SET IT ON FIRE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyh5v_GizaY

just a word to the wise, you won't like this song so don't click on it. ;)

BTW- nice work Bobby! Thats some jazzy seat!
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠