Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 04:19:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

HELP !!!!!! Motorcycle seat

Started by creamcycle, January 03, 2011, 02:03:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

creamcycle

I have done several motorcycle seats, but this one is whipping my butt.  I have what seems like a standard Yamaha seat, with the low rise back, and I cannot seem to make this thing contour like it should, I tried heating it some then sitting on it till my butt cooled, but that's now working so well.  I thought about gluing it, but it wasn't glued to begin with.  I will be so greatful for your input.  My only other thought is to sit on it out in the cold for a long time, but it is really cold here. 

Mike8560

SHHR

A lot of the ones I do aren't glued at the factory and you can feel the void between the vinyl and foam. I solve this by gluing or if doing a custom seat, padding it up a bit more (most customers like this) and have even built a seam into my cover across the seat right where it transitions from the seat to the rise in it.
Kyle

MinUph

It could be that you are cutting the vinyl in the wrong direction. As you may or may not know it will stretch more in one direction than the other and if you use this to your advantage it lays better when pulled into place.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

creamcycle

Thanks so much everyone, you have given me a better insight.  I really wanted to glue it, but was kinda scared because it was not glued to begin with.  As far as the vinyl, I do understand about the stretch, and prehaps I do have that part going the wrong way.  Thanks a million

SHHR

They're not glued at the factory for the simple reason of $$$$$$$$$. They probably only allow 30 seconds or less to pull the cover on and staple it while on the assembly line,
Kyle

stitcher_guy

Did I miss a picture? There's so many types of seats and ways to set them up it would be helpful to see what you're talking about. As I was reading the description, the first thing that popped to my mind was the seam down in the crook of the seat wasn't dished enough. If you dish it to follow the contour, that will force the sewn material down into the crevice. It's still a good idea to run glue along that seam so it sticks in place.

Mike8560

I've do e a number of yamaha seat the one I showed before was an 1100 vstar seat every stock seat I've seen from yamaha was ued what mod bike is it do you k ow?

Mojo

I did a seat very similar to that. It had a metal wire acting as a stay that was pulled down into the crease and then attached with string on the underside. It created a real nice crease and held the fabric tight to the foam.

That was a factory Kaw seat BTW.

Chris