Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 12:27:54 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

saw this in the marina

Started by fragged8, December 15, 2010, 02:52:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

hi guys

have you ever seen thins done ? 

there is an extra bow fitted to the frame facing forwards to make a
sun shade .

sorry the pics aren't too good i took them on my phone.

Rich

bobbin

No, I've never seen that sort of frame configuration, Rich.. But it's pretty clever!  Was the boat in question from a much sunnier, southern locale? or was the innovation the brainstorm or someone's shop  in your general location? 

(now I have to run the anti-spy-ware stuff to purge the dreaded Photobucket trash) 

Mike8560

I s awwnif done.
I'd you post the code eliminating part of it you can iliminate all the photobucket  crap and just link. the pic

JuneC

I've never seen that, Rich, but is a brilliant idea IMHO.  I suppose, however, it might complicate the folding of the bimini.  I'd like to know how the frame was put together. 

A similar idea I saw on a small Boston Whaler just recently was having the side curtains of the enclosure zipped inside the bimini top.  There was a fabric strip with zip attached sewn about 6" inside the side edges and the panels zipped to that.  It kept the glass from touching the frame, and provided more space on the sides for going forward using the bimini frame as a hand grip (walkaround boat).  The forward curtain, however, was sewn to the flap as usual. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

fragged8

hiya

I can't imagine anyone local would make a top like that and it looked fairly
new.
Not sure it was an import either so i'm guessing it came from our South coast.

it looked like the visor bow just folded back to the frame like any other bow
when stacked.

Good idea though so if anyone tries it post up the pics :-)

Rich

Mike8560

I've see. It do e on sliwer boat lime trawlers it's bAsicly just a short vow that extends forwRd and dose t fold well like a normal Bimini.

Trout Creek Canvas

I've done several here in NC.....cheaper alternative for those who don't want to fork over the cash for a permanant hard top.

They work quite well......

JuneC

Stitcher, how's the forward bow attached to the main frame?  I'm guessing standard jaw slides on the "main" forward bow with holes/push pins so it can be collapsed to the same profile as the rest of the top.  And what keeps it stretched forward?  Folding struts?  Enquiring minds want to know.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

trimmerkenny

When I make these the they are on boats that never fold their top. They stay up year round. I use a bow rail fitting for that front bow. That works really well. It acts like a bill on a hat.