Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 05, 2024, 06:52:45 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cutting nails

Started by Mike8560, December 07, 2010, 11:16:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

December 07, 2010, 11:16:27 am Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:29:35 pm by Mike8560
I can't be the only one  pro bly one day I had a hangnail and the only thing I had to cut it wiyh was my sissors.
So for years I keep my fingernails short with my sissors.

Mike8560

Somnkdy was laughing at me is why I'm asking.

sofadoc

I do it too! Only problem is, I can ONLY trim the nails on my left hand (I'm right handed). Fortunately, the most common item found in a sofa is a pair of fingernail clippers. I must have at least 30 of 'em.
Mike: How do you do the other hand?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

December 07, 2010, 03:26:45 pm #3 Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:28:35 pm by Mike8560
im ambitextross
though the left hand is easier ,even though in left handed

kodydog

I'v got the same problem Doc. That's why the nails on my left hand are 3" long.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I also use my 12" shears for trimming my moustache.
I know another upholsterer who use a "T" pin as a toothpick (not me, I floss with #69 nylon thread).
I guess that you can spot an upholsterer either by the extra long nails on only one hand, or the brass nailheads stuck to the bottom of his shoe!

gene

I broke the side of my fingernail on my middle finger, left hand, while sewing. It was a deep break. I didn't even think about it. I picked up the scissors and cut it as deep as I could. I went on sewing.

I'm left handed. When cutting my left hand finger nails, I rotate my left hand fingers, not the scissors.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on December 07, 2010, 05:45:03 pm
I broke the side of my fingernail on my middle finger, left hand, while sewing. It was a deep break. I didn't even think about it. I picked up the scissors and cut it as deep as I could. I went on sewing.

I'm left handed. When cutting my left hand finger nails, I rotate my left hand fingers, not the scissors.

gene

I'm right handed. I can't just rotate my fingers, because my left hand isn't worth ##@@!! for operating a pair of scissors.
Which reminds me of something else. My wife is left handed. Every time I tried to order a pair of left handed scissors for her, they sent scissors that are contoured to fit a left hand comfortably, but the blades are the same as right handed scissors. Don't they make  true left handed scissors (where the blades are reversed from righties)?
Just wondering. She got a REAL job years ago, so we don't need them any more.