Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 25, 2024, 06:13:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What machine to buy for auto upholstery?

Started by Hunter1111, December 05, 2010, 09:07:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter1111

I'm a newbie on here so I'm sure many of you will tell me to search and you will find the answer. But I only have an iPhone to get on here with and it's so da*n small it gives me a headache after 10 minutes. :-\
So I'm in the market to buy a machine to do the upholstery in my 54 chevy I'm restoring. I took a 3 month uPholstery course at wyotech back in 2004, I haven't sewn since then but I know it will come back to me. I have a budget of no more than $1500. I've been told either a juki 1541, or a consew 206rb would be my best bet. Any suggestions?

Thanks hunter (Austin, tx)

sofadoc

Those are certainly two good choices. If you buy a new one, either of those models will just about use up your budget. A lot of car guys prefer the Pfaff 1245.
But a new one will be out of your price range.
You could buy a new Highlead, or Chandler, and have some money left over.
Check ouy Gregg's walking foot section:
http://www.keysew.com/Walking_foot.htm
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

fragged8

hiya

i don't know what they go for in the US but mine is a dedicated
auto upholstery machine. Juki 2210 N6  or N7

it has air lift foot and you can high step the foot to go over thick seams
just by touching a button, auto back tack which i don't use underbed
thread trim and loads of other stuff you dont really need but the high step
is really useful.

but you would need a small compressor to run the air lift foot.

Mojo

I bought a new Chandler and love it. You also cannot go wrong with the Consew 206rb5.

They are  both good machines and will get the job done.

Chris

Hunter1111

Hunter1111

Mojo

Why don't you give Bob Kovar a call and tell him what your looking for. He will take the time to explain the differences between the machines which will help you make an informed decision.

That is what I did and he helped me make the right decision on the Chandler machine I have. Bob is a laid back, patient and easy going guy with 30 plus years in the business. He is one of our other dealers and sponsors on the forum here.

He will spend as much time on the phone with you as you need and answer all your questions.

His number is - 419-380-8540

Best of luck with your decision.

Chris

Mojo

I forgot to add. Do not buy a machine off e-bay. You may save a few bucks but in the long run it isn't worth it. Almost all of the dealers on E-Bay drop ship their machines and never see them let alone set them up.
They go directly from the factory to you without a technician going over them. Chances are the machine will need some adjustments made from the factory.

Bob sold me my Chandler at the same price as the e-bay dealers were selling them. But he took the machine out of the box, set it up, made adjustments and then boxed everything back up and shipped it to me. When I got it it I took it out of the box, set it up on the table and the machine was ready to sew.

Try and buy through a reputable dealer and stay clear of E-Bay machines.

Chris

Hunter1111

Ok thanks. Hey chris what kind of work do you do with your Chandler If you don't mind me asking? Auto?

Highvelocity

I have a Chandler/Juki U-241 and its a great machine.  Walking foot, takes M bobin, it will blast through everthing. 

I did get mine through ebay, person to person, only because I was prepared to put $500 into it if need be, I got it for $425, the machine was perfect and needed nothing, I tested it etc...when I picked it up.

The guy who originally purchased it thought it was going to do light weight silky stuff...lol  He said it was like putting cotton through a meat grinder...lol   
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

Hunter1111

I talked to bob Kovar and he said the Chandler 406 and consew 206 would be the best fit for me. Now I just hAve to decide if it's worth 350 more dollars for the consew?  ::)

Mojo

I went with the Chandler myself.  Bob was honest with me and said I wouldn't notice a difference except in the wallet with the Consew206. :)

High velocity is right. It has taken every type of material I have thrown at it. If you can get it under the foot, it will sew it. :)

Bob stands behind his products and is a great guy to deal with. I believe Bob is the 2nd generation in his business and his son Bobby who is their repair tech is the 3rd. I cannot remember how long they have been in business, but it is longer then I have been alive. :) 

I am extremely satisfied with my machine and level of service. I can ( and I do ) call Bob whenever I have questions and he always takes the time to patiently answer them.

Chris 

BigJohn

I agree with Chris Bob Kovar at Toledo Sewing Machine Company who I've had the most dealings with or for that matter Gregg at Keystone Sewing Machine Company who's also been a great help to myself and a lot of members of this board are the two most recommended sources for a new machine at a fair price. Just remember the cheapest price isn't always the best deal, many people have gotten burnt buying on Ebay if for only the simple fact that often not much service after the sale comes along. When I had problems with an old 111W153 Singer that I bought from a private party online Bob and his son lead me through set up and repairs, even taught me how to time the machine over the telephone, now you tell me how to find that kind of service on Ebay! The Chandler that Chris mentioned I'm sure would be a good choice, also the Highlead, Juki, Consew, and Sieko. I myself have a Pfaff 1245 That I purchased used from the University of Wisconsin for a song and Bob Kovar helped with the few parts needed to put it in tip top shape. Hope my ramblings helped more than they hurt.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: fragged8 on December 06, 2010, 12:25:05 am
hiya

i don't know what they go for in the US but mine is a dedicated
auto upholstery machine. Juki 2210 N6  or N7

it has air lift foot and you can high step the foot to go over thick seams
just by touching a button, auto back tack which i don't use underbed
thread trim and loads of other stuff you dont really need but the high step
is really useful.

but you would need a small compressor to run the air lift foot.

That's a great machine, but you can get two or three (or four) new walking foot, large bobbin machines for the price of the one you mention.  That machine is truly the real deal no holds bar full bore production machine.  Some are on the same level, but none are better IMO.

One machine to avoid; Consew 205RB.  I have had people sorry they bought this model, even if it wan't from me.  Good machine, but you can get a Consew 206RB-5 for almost the same price, and it's a much better machine IMO.

If you have $1,500 to burn, I do have other possibilities for machines as well...

Good luck!

If you are looking in the $1,500 dollar range,

sofadoc

Here's a good used one right in YOUR neck of the woods;
http://austin.craigslist.org/tls/2094192917.html

But IMO $700 is too much. Also, it's a small bobbin machine. But if you're just doing your own restoration, that might not matter to you.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban