Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 02:08:38 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What machine to buy for auto upholstery?

Started by Hunter1111, December 05, 2010, 09:07:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter1111

Quote from: sofadoc on December 06, 2010, 05:58:43 pm
Here's a good used one right in YOUR neck of the woods;
http://austin.craigslist.org/tls/2094192917.html

But IMO $700 is too much. Also, it's a small bobbin machine. But if you're just doing your own restoration, that might not matter to you.

Yeah I've been eyeballing thatpost but I'm afraid of buying used since I don't really know what I'm buying. What would be a good price for that machine and how does it compare to the consew 206rb?

sofadoc

The 562 is the small bobbin version of the 563 (which later became the LU 1508).
The 1541 that you were talking about is the bottom load version of the 1508.
Yeah, Craigslist machines can be a crapshoot. Give it a test drive. If you like it, offer $500.
I don't think you would be able to tell much difference between a Juki LU-562, and a Consew 206 of the same age.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Hunter1111

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on December 06, 2010, 03:55:18 pm
Quote from: fragged8 on December 06, 2010, 12:25:05 am
hiya

i don't know what they go for in the US but mine is a dedicated
auto upholstery machine. Juki 2210 N6  or N7

it has air lift foot and you can high step the foot to go over thick seams
just by touching a button, auto back tack which i don't use underbed
thread trim and loads of other stuff you dont really need but the high step
is really useful.

What do you have in the 1500 dollar range out of curiosity?
but you would need a small compressor to run the air lift foot.

That's a great machine, but you can get two or three (or four) new walking foot, large bobbin machines for the price of the one you mention.  That machine is truly the real deal no holds bar full bore production machine.  Some are on the same level, but none are better IMO.

One machine to avoid; Consew 205RB.  I have had people sorry they bought this model, even if it wan't from me.  Good machine, but you can get a Consew 206RB-5 for almost the same price, and it's a much better machine IMO.

If you have $1,500 to burn, I do have other possibilities for machines as well...

Good luck!

If you are looking in the $1,500 dollar range,

daveich

One machine to avoid; Consew 205RB.  I have had people sorry they bought this model, even if it wan't from me.  [/quote]

Hey Greg
what are poeple saying is bad about this machine, i have one with the same feed. i know it is hard to get feet for it. but what else. thanks Don

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: daveich on December 06, 2010, 11:48:11 pm

One machine to avoid; Consew 205RB.  I have had people sorry they bought this model, even if it wan't from me. 

Hey Greg
what are people saying is bad about this machine, i have one with the same feed. i know it is hard to get feet for it. but what else. thanks Don
[/quote]

Not long ago, Consew 205RB was a reasonable priced alternating/top bottom feed machine, not a needle feeder.  Aside from feet options that may in some cases be limited compared to other models, it's a good machine, so don't worry that it's poor quality or that you should be unhappy with it.

What is different today is that there are many options, including from Consew, that are close in price, and IMO better options.

Heck, I'm a Consew distributor, and I don't stock this model. 

Toledo Mach. Sales

I'll have to agree with Greg the Consew 205 isn't a bad machine.I have sold alot of them to boat canvas people & they sew the thin boat tops better since they don't pucker like a walking foot needle feed does.BUT when it comes to upholstery the needlefeed & walking foot feed alot better.Esp when your sewing foam.
Bob
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

MinUph

I have the 205RB an find it OK. I have sewn on maybe 5 Commercial machines in my life and this one has to be the hardest to get use to. It does a nice job but it is not easy to use. I can usually sit down at a machine and sew well in a few minutes. This one has taken me many sittings to get a feel for it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website