Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 06:26:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Like Cutting Sunbrella Snowflakes

Started by Peppy, November 28, 2010, 10:42:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Peppy

Seeing that the thread about console covers has had a couple hundred views since I mentioned cutting out 2 layers of sunbrella at once, I was wondering if anybody's given it a go?
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike8560

I don't food it I half and cut on e bit I do cut for the left and flip it and do the right side. I'd be afraid I think to fold and cut I ness up somtimes and don't see what I'm cuttingor sewing.

Mike8560

So you sew the two side together first or do youlow for the seam allowance and cut two side befor it is sewn?

JuneC

Too hard on my hands to cut both layers with scissors and I've never had much luck cutting two layers with the hot knife.  Seems one layer likes to burn a bit.   I do so little that can be done that way (right = left) that it doesn't impact my productivity much anyway.  I have to do 10 patio cushions next week, all the same dimensions, so I may try cutting at least 2 at a time. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Peppy

Quote from: Mike8560 on November 28, 2010, 12:51:12 pm
I'd be afraid

Don't let fear or common sense hold you back ;)

Quote from: Mike8560 on November 28, 2010, 12:53:25 pm
So you sew the two side together first or do youlow for the seam allowance and cut two side befor it is sewn?

No sewing. The fold is the centerline of the pattern. The pattern is laid on the cloth and seam allowances are marked on the top layer and cut. Reference marks are transfered to the bottom layer and it's peeled open. All our seams run side to side. If you were doing a center seam you'd have to line up your pattern centerline with a seam allowance on the factory edge I guess.

Quote from: JuneC on November 28, 2010, 03:03:34 pm
Too hard on my hands to cut both layers with scissors

Ya scissors don't cut it (so to speak) The two layers squish apart while cutting and isn't accurate.

Quoteand I've never had much luck cutting two layers with the hot knife. Seems one layer likes to burn a bit.

I don't know what to tell you. Go faster? Rock the knife back a little? Blow out the fire?

QuoteI do so little that can be done that way (right = left) that it doesn't impact my productivity much anyway.  I have to do 10 patio cushions next week, all the same dimensions, so I may try cutting at least 2 at a time.

Thats why I go to such pains to make symmetrical patterns. It's funny how differently we all do things. This trick is fundamental to my daily life yet it's probably next to useless for other people.
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike8560

If it make sence most covers ect  the seam is the ceterli unless I runs the seams sideways
most biminis the seams follow the frames.  With my covers it is easier to sew the lower hill side piece onto the big top sides first and install the zippers at the t tops first before the two sides are sewed together.

bobbin

I, too, find cutting multiple layers of sunbrella too hard.  It's not that way with clothing weight fabrics which are typically cut in multiple layers or using folded goods to cut something like a collar, collar band or yoke.

I see no trouble with using a 1/2 pattern, however.  As long as the fold is clearly marked and the pattern pc. is flipped over accurately using one wouldn't faze me in the least.  I think it's a great idea.  And a great way to save patterning supplies. 

Mojo

Quote from: bobbin on November 29, 2010, 05:17:21 am
I, too, find cutting multiple layers of sunbrella too hard.  It's not that way with clothing weight fabrics which are typically cut in multiple layers or using folded goods to cut something like a collar, collar band or yoke.

I had to chuckle over your comment Bobbin. It took a while but my wife ( the seamstress ) finally got me to where I cut using folds.

On material that tends to move while cutting I will use small metal spring clamps to hold the fabric together. I have found that I get perfectly matched corners  by folding and cutting, especially when cutting rounded corners, etc.

The sad part in all this is that  had to swallow my pride and admit my wife was right. Not an easy thing for a man to do. ...........LOL

Chris

fragged8

i know some ladies locally to me who cut up to 50 layers at
a time, they use a fabric saw and they all come out perfect.

Rich

bobbin

Yeah, Rich, that's the way they do garment layouts in production settings.  They use a fabric spreader that rolls in grooves on either side of the cutting table and clamp the runs down, shearing through the end of the run with a rotary cutter called a "chickadee".  They repeat the layout process for the number of garments and sizes in the run and then they do the pattern layout on a sheet of paper placed and clamped over the final fabric run.  That allows each bundle of pcs. to be accurately marked for size and any important notches/drill holes.  They use a fabric saw to cut around the individual pcs. and usually a drill to mark the sites for things like pockets or other details.  Each bundle of pcs. remains together until they are delivered to the stitcher whose operation they will become.

It was fascinating to work in a production setting.  I learned a lot about handling the goods efficiently, machinery, and attachments to speed up and smooth out an operation.