Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 04, 2024, 10:15:53 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New guy here , old guy in the biz

Started by TimsTrim, November 27, 2010, 05:46:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TimsTrim

Thought I should take the time to thank those who have put this forum together and introduce myself. I guess I would be considered an old timer, having started out in 1971. Back then I worked for a shop that had 4 full time trimmers/upholsterers and we were also a part of  a large glass shop. Seems back then a lot of trim shops were in conjunction with glass shops, so I even learned a bit about glass. Comes in handy sometimes when doing car interiors. Also , back then , the line between Trimmer and Upholsterer was kind of faint. You had to do both. While I can do both and both well, I now consider myself a Trimmer. Around these parts , making money on furniture is really hard to do. Cheap retail furniture, a proliferation of Mom and Pop furniture upholsterers, etc etc  and it is very hard to make anything on it. Seems like everytime there is a lay off at some factory, someone goes out and buys a machine and hangs their shingle out.
I still do some antique pieces and high end stuff for a local interior design company, but for the most part I'm doing cars , boats and planes.
Over the years I have built a good relationship with several local car dealers and the hot rod crowd, so it keeps me busy.
So anyway, thanks for the forum and if I can help out anywhere, just ask. Tim

SHHR

Welcome Tim, Just jump in on anything. There's alot of advice and help to be given and learned on this site. I looked at your profile and saw where you're from. You wouldn't have been talking about Seymour Glass would you? We use to have them cut our glass when building an old hot rod. I live a little less than an hour South East of there in Madison.
Anyway welcome aboard!
Kyle

Mojo

Welcome aboard Tim. It is the old timers who have helped us newbies along with this trade.

Without you upholstery veterans alot of us newb's would be lost.

Thanks for joining and be sure to contribute.

Chris

kodydog

Lord knows I learn something new every day Tim. Just when I think I've seen it all, something new comes along. Can't wait to hear your replies.
                                                             Dog   
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

TimsTrim

You got it SHHR. Seymour Glass. Back in about '89  it looked as though we would relocate down in the Louisville area. The now exwife worked for the USPS and was working down there. Anyway to ease her driving time I proposed I close down and find a trimmer job down there. The company I went to work for done auto trim and boat canvas. I seemed to have some sort of natural affinity for canvas work and for the next several years that's about all I done , that and boat interiors. One of my older mentors down there was a guy from over your way at Hanover. I won't name names but you might know of him. Eventually I found my way back home here. My work load is about 75%/25% cars and boats until Spring comes and then it's about the opposite. I find making Biminis and tops and covers for boats interesting and a nice break from cars all the time.
Plane s are a minor part of the business. I have a couple of A&P mechanics I do work for. Anyone else brings in plane stuff I won't do them. Ultimately the A&P has to sign off on the work so he'll be sure the stuff is certified. The owner's of the plane are not always as apt to do it the right way.
I fear sometimes we are a dying breed. Young people today want some sort of college degree or they want to go work in some factory for $12/hr. They are not willing to do the grunt work and the sacrifice to learn a trade. As I said before when I started out there were several bonafide trimmers in the 3 county area around here. Now there's one. The rest are dead or retired. I have a grandson who, if he wants and shows some inclination will be peroperly trained and then I'll give him the place.