Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 05:42:17 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Reinforcing vinyl???

Started by SoInTrouble, November 11, 2010, 10:24:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SoInTrouble

I am redoing a dodge bucket seat.  I have some vinyl that is the color that I want for one of the panels, but it is not marine grade.   Unfortunately this panel seems to be the one that fails on the older seats that I have. 

My question is: if I glue canvas material on to the panel before sewing it will it give it more strength?  Have any of you tried reinforcing vinyl on the back side?

SHHR

First off, How is it failing? Fading, cracking, stitches? I use to have a 62 Pontiac that had one panel replaced in the seat by it's previous owner and it faded horribly over time. Either way though, reinforcing the back probably won't help you for durability. It's usually the vinyl on top that fails. If the car gets a lot of sun and heat exposure then it's best to go with a marine grade vinyl, but an automotive grade should work fine. Just use a high quality vinyl that has a thicker vinyl on it. Also you can put a layer of 1/4" or 1/2" scrim on the back of the vinyl and that will pad it up a bit more to take some abuse if it's wearing down from sliding across. What you want to check on your vinyl you use is a higher number of "rubs" on the Wyzenbeeck ???? (not sure on spelling) test. the higher the number the better quality for wear purposes.
Kyle

stitcher_guy

I've hit that several times. Normally, the wear that is being discussed is the vinyl failing from stress. Vinyl and leather is like metal, when it's moved back and forth enough times in one spot, it will pull apart. Vinyl cracks along the line because of the man-made grain and backing. Leather pulls apart in a more natural split.

When it is a work environment (industrial truck, backhoe, lots of in and out) I will affix a piece if boat cover material, burlap, anything sturdy to the backside. This helps keep the top vinyl or leather from rolling and creating a weak area. But it also detracts from the nice clean lay of the material across the edge of the seat (it's always the side bolster, especially on trucks, because anymore they are so high and the seats are so inboard you HAVE to slide off of them, creating the issue). Dodge trucks are some of the worst. Years ago, when the Rams had welting along the edge I had tons of repairs where jeans pockets caught the welt repeatedly and tore the material. Now it is the wearing out of the panel.

Also, in addition to canvas on the back of the vinyl (or cloth in the truck seats), also go up under the seat foam and repair that. I always reglue the two pieces of foam together that have been cut in two by the metal frame (horrible design, but what are you going to do?). Then I use trunk liner material glued up in there to create strength and also soften the pressure area of the frame. This helps keep it in shape once the repair has been made. After you've done a few hundred (thousand???) it just becomes rote and doesn't take any longer to do it right.

SoInTrouble

Quote from: SHHR on November 13, 2010, 05:35:04 am
First off, How is it failing? Fading, cracking, stitches?

The vinyl material is cracking where it is sewn.

SoInTrouble

Quote from: stitcher_guy on November 13, 2010, 08:11:38 am

Also, in addition to canvas on the back of the vinyl (or cloth in the truck seats), also go up under the seat foam and repair that. I always reglue the two pieces of foam together that have been cut in two by the metal frame (horrible design, but what are you going to do?). Then I use trunk liner material glued up in there to create strength and also soften the pressure area of the frame. This helps keep it in shape once the repair has been made. After you've done a few hundred (thousand???) it just becomes rote and doesn't take any longer to do it right.

Thanks for the tips.  I just got some marine vinyl that almost matches.  I have to decide if matching the pattern on the material or durrability is more important.  This is my first seat, and I am learning as I go.  I have now learned that using quality materials is important. ;D