Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 06:31:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cutting Table Surface?

Started by Half-Fast, November 07, 2010, 09:30:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Half-Fast

Finishing up the renovations on Dad's shop.  I've practically gutted it and added more pegboard, the new laminate flooring gets finished up today.  The next project is to rejuvenate his cutting table.  He had a piece of 3/4" plywood that he had laid pieces of cardboard on to prevent splinters/dirt from fouling the material. 

How are your cutting tables surfaced?

Jeff

MinUph

I make mine out of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood. Sans smooth and primer, three coats of a good polyurethane Paint rolled on with a foam roller.
  Frame wise I use 2x4s on 16" centers so I don't get the sagging. I finish off the edges of the top with screen molding so I don't have any rough edges. No slivers, nothing to catch fabric on. Things slide nicely.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

My benches melamine covered particle board, 4'x8'.  I have applied the heat activated 3/4" melamine edging around the perimeter of them, too.  I like the smooth, easily cleanable surface.  It's important for me because I do a lot of clothing work and interior design softgoods and I can't risk a rough surface that might snag the fabrics. 

I've just completed two more benches, using the same materials only those have a 24" drop leaf with 3 folding support legs.  Those will become my cutting table.  And I'm presently trying to figure out how to pad them adequately so I may press on them, too.  The trick is, I want to be able to remove the padding when I want a smooth, slick cutting surface. 

Rich

Over 20 years ago, I attended a workshop at a marine canvas shop and was shown a method for laying out fabric that I have used to this day. The bench is made of 3/4" ply, with a few coats of polyurethane to make it smooth. The layout method is to use a bunch of 4" awls to keep the fabric in place, usually in the seam allowance area, but anyplace that won't show. I have done this with up to about 8 layers of 32 oz. Naugahyde when making multiple pcs. with a rotary knife. I do alot of laying out from old covers, so this method is the only way I can get a curled pc. of vinyl to lie flat and true to the size and shape. Once in a while, I'll use a few weights, but the awls are my SOP.
It probably would be nice to have a formica surface, but with awls, it has to be uncovered wood.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

bobbin

Depending on what I'm doing I will either use clamps or the weights I've made for myself.  They are oval, with small handles over the top and I've filled them with aquarium gravel. 

I tend to use the weights when I'm laying out clothing patterns or cushion patterns.  I will use the clamps when I'm laying out runs for drapery panels. 

Mojo

I just finished my " UP " ( upholstery ) shop which included a new cutting table. I took the advice of many and went with melamine and am very happy with it. I also included two cutting grooves to use for cutting and I must say it is working out much better then I ever envisioned. I embedded a V grooved piece of aluminum in the top ( got the aluminum at Lowes ). I used a router to cut the depression in the top and then used caulking to embed and hold the aluminum in place.

Here are some pics of the project -

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck,

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Mojo on November 07, 2010, 05:37:58 pm
I just finished my " UP " ( upholstery ) shop which included a new cutting table. I took the advice of many and went with melamine and am very happy with it. I also included two cutting grooves to use for cutting and I must say it is working out much better then I ever envisioned. I embedded a V grooved piece of aluminum in the top ( got the aluminum at Lowes ). I used a router to cut the depression in the top and then used caulking to embed and hold the aluminum in place.

Here are some pics of the project -

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck,

Chris

Allan

fragged8

hiya

I have a laminated worktop but thats only because it was free

my next one will just be painted plywood, it's plenty good enough. As for laying out the fabric Rich,
using awls is the standard sailmakers way of laying out and it works well. I use staples to pin out
fabric if i need to but its not doing the laminate much good  :o. mind you i've been using the same table for
about 4 years and i can turn them over in a year or so.

Rich, uk

Mojo

fragged8

Get outta here Mojo   :o

I've never seen a workshop that clean before, that must be a
computer generated image heheheheh

nice work on the build m8, it must be a real pleasure working in there ?

rich

JuneC

Yeah, he probably Photoshopped those photos.  Still, since it's freshly built, maybe he didn't have time to garbage it up yet like the rest of us (excepting Bobbin ;D )

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

I took those photos right after I finished it. Give me sometime and I will post more pictures of the room trashed.

Well as trashed as my OCD will allow. :)

Chris

PDQ

18mm chipboard with softwood edging and varnished. Ideal for awls & staples for pinning. I've just finished our new benches, will post a link shortly...

Peppy

Ours are plywood covered with linolium flooring. I'm very hard on it screwing stuff to it and cutting it up with the Olfa. I would like a better answer but it's cleanable (mostly) and has lasted five years. It's due for a do-over this winter. This time I'm going for the lightest colour they have. Currently it's dark brown and it hides the dirt too well, if it was white I could see where it needs cleaning most BEFORE I skid white vinyl over it.

☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠