Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 19, 2024, 04:43:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Branding. Have You Ever Done it ?

Started by Mojo, November 06, 2010, 06:12:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob T

One thought, have the brand "Name" start with a letter found at the front of the alphabet so it shows up earlier in yellow pages, business pages, and any other alphabetical listing.  My last name starts with a "T" and I know I've missed business just because someone elses name came earlier in the alphabet.

stitcher_guy

Yellow pages? What is this yellow pages of which you speak?? Ohhhh, the pages in the phone book on which my dog does his business. LOLOLOL.

I don't worry about Yellow Pages or any kind of business listing. People have stopped using them. Or the ones that use them never know which category to check. For a Lawyer or Doctor, sure. But when the yellow pages people decide to put upholstery under Auto Services and Auto Upholstery, or Upholstery, and there's no rhyme or reason, it's useless.

I have the webpage, which is static but has an e-mail link, and I get my name out and new stuff out using Facebook.

Mojo

Funny you mention the yellow pages.

I typically take my new book and toss it in the trash. Instead I go online to find the business I am looking for. Also you can search for the type business you are looking for and not only will the listing come up but also customer comments. ( That can be scary ). I also like to look the companies website over to see if it was done with professionalism. :)

I am very selective in my work. I chose to concentrate on the RV industry and most of my work is concentrated in a few large RV resorts so advertising is easy. I go after the higher end RV parks because my customers there tend to spend more and pay in cash. Some of the other parks are a little dumpy and I stay away from those. :)

I do want to start getting more into online ordering though as I feel I can pick up some business that way. I will tap that market through the many RV forums I belong to.

All of my sales are through word of mouth which is why I bust my ass to turn out a top quality product. I had a customer last spring who went with another company and ordered solar screens. Someone in the park asked me if I was PO'ed over it because I knew this customer very well. I said Nope. It was a big help to me because I can send potential customers to my previous jobs and then send them down to this guys rig for them to look them over. That in itself will sell my work. :)...Trust me.......They are bad. Real bad. And this guy had them done at one of the largest RV dealers in the USA.

I just have this little niche business and am happy in my own little world. :) I will let the rest of you tackle those big jobs like marine and auto. I am to old for that crap anyways. :)

Chris

Saddleman

Quote from: Mojo on November 11, 2010, 05:12:56 am

I do want to start getting more into online ordering though as I feel I can pick up some business that way. I will tap that market through the many RV forums I belong to.

Forums are an great marketing tool.  Nearly all my business is from online sales.  I have sold seat all over the country and many internationally because of the internet and forums.  Forums and also do great things for your websites search engine results.  Love the internet!!!!  ;D

Mojo

I enjoy the forums and you are right they can be a huge boost for business.

But they are tricky. It takes a little knowledge and know how in regards to participating without being an outright salesperson. Many forums have rules that ban on line pitches for business and RV forums are very strict about plugging your business. I myself try and walk the line and not get myself into trouble.

I never mention my business name and instead just try and answer questions and help people with their problems. That in turn gets me PM's and business. I stay away from saying " I carry this product or can do this for you "  and rather deal with a person out of the forums prying eyes and through PM's.

I have no problems with following their rules and it does make sense. Otherwise you will end up with bartering, selling and marketing products in a forum where people come for information instead. It gets even worse when you have 2 or 3 people who all carry the same product or service and they all pipe up and make offers in the middle of discussions.

If I see someone who is need of something I will PM them and keep the sales crap out of the forum.
On some of the forums I belong to I have seen members warned and then banned for selling products or services on some of these sites.

Chris

Mike8560